View Full Version : fox floats on a 400ex

jtalleman
02-12-2011, 07:24 PM
anybody use these shock for the front im looking for some new ones cus i dont like the 450r i got they are to stiff i ride everything dunes xc mx so i need versatility thanks for info oh an dim running stock a arms

250rforlife
02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
get ur shcoks revalved, and re sprung. ull like them then.

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
The floats will have you covered as fas as versatility.

BenHonda400ex
02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah and they are cheaper than Elka's if I'm right.. I think I saw them for like 675 and Elka where 750 or short travel and 1000 or long travel

PaRedneckRiders
02-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Ya thats because the floats are like a stripped down version of the evols.
They are more the trail riding shock there not really made for huge jumps.

They are still a nice shock at a decent price but i personally would take my resprug revalved 450r shocks over a set of floats.

tri5ron
02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
i personally would take my resprug revalved 450r shocks over a set of floats.

X2

case in point...$1500 or $245,... HMmmm, I don't need a calculator to do THAT math !

$1500. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX400EX-400EX-Fox-Racing-Front-Float-Evol-Shocks-/350392382501?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories

vs.

$245. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX450r-front-pair-triple-rate-Spring-Kit-OEM-/330374076599?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cebd458b7

Hondamaster5505
02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
tri5ron, I believe he is referring to the standard fox floats. $695

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fox-Float-Front-Shocks-Honda-TRX400EX-400EX-Suspension-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2d18782cQQitemZ40018 8536876QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

trailrider894
02-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
X2

case in point...$1500 or $245,... HMmmm, I don't need a calculator to do THAT math !

$1500. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX400EX-400EX-Fox-Racing-Front-Float-Evol-Shocks-/350392382501?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories

vs.

$245. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX450r-front-pair-triple-rate-Spring-Kit-OEM-/330374076599?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cebd458b7

Ron have you used the Triple Rate Kits??? I am looking for a Zero-Preload setup for mx and this looks to be what i want. What kind of difference will that make without a revalve?

tri5ron
02-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Ron have you used the Triple Rate Kits??? I am looking for a Zero-Preload setup for mx and this looks to be what i want. What kind of difference will that make without a revalve? It will make a huge difference.

Yes, I am using the Works triple rate springs, 600/600/215(thanks Mike).

I have them on '08 450r shocks, without having them re-valved.
My A-arms are factory stock 400ex.
My rider weight is approx. 190-200 lbs.

They are set at zero to near zero preload,...
Compression rate, is at near full soft...
and the Rebound rate, is 1 or 2 clicks up from full soft/slow.

I often do ride fairly fast, and in some pretty seriously rough terrain.
Whoops, tight and technical, LOTS of rocks,... sometimes BIG rocks. Open Desert / XC.

I Do Not race officially, or ride on established/manicured tracks.
I can't stand doing laps on a track. It's just too confined for my prefferences.

I very much prefer going ballztothewallz down an unknown trail, and dealing with the changing terrain as it happens. A 20, or 30, or 40 mile loop, is what I look forward to.

(and yes, I have found myself doing a handstand on the handlebars, in 4th or 5th gear, on a few occaisions).
Yeah, I've have my butt puckered tighter than a Frogs a** , a few times, and thinking to myself,...
"MAN, this is gonna hurt in just another second !".

The 450r shocks are a HUGE improvement over the stock "Pogo sticks", that come on the 400EX,... even without having them re-valved.
They are ESPECIALLY GOOD, when the triple rate springs are used in place of the OEM 450r springs.

I've never ridden with a set, that were revalved, (and I don't really see the need for it),
but,
I can only imagine, that re-valved, They would be comparable to some of the highest priced brands out there.

Using the re-SPRUNG 450r shocks,...
along with a nice puck style stabilizer,...
Has saved my butt on MANY occaisions !

More than once, I've returned to camp with a dented front rim,...
And didn't even know I had slammed it that hard, enough to twist the rims "Lip" backwards.

Try that without a stabilizer, and on the stocker 400EX shocks, and I gaurantee you'll be flipped and hitting the ground ALOT more often.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_0152.jpg

trailrider894
02-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks ron!! Would you do the triple rate first? or stabilizer?

tri5ron
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
In mine and many other members opinion, the stock front shocks on a 400EX flat out SUCK. That's why we call them pogo-sticks.

Therefore, they are the VERY FIRST THING that should be changed, on ANY 400EX.
Before exhausts, intakes, cams, carbs, or ANY engine mods.

All the "Mo' Power" stuff won't do you one lick of good, if you cant put it on the ground, (and keep it there).

a stock 400EX, already has more power and speed, than the stock front shocks can handle.
(ironically, the stock REAR shock, is actually a fairly decent shock)

Now with that said,...

Don't waste much time before getting that stabilizer too.
The upgraded shocks WITH a stabilizer, will allow you to ride much faster and SAFER, than all the other available goodies combined.

trailrider894
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
In mine and many other members opinion, the stock front shocks on a 400EX flat out SUCK. That's why we call them pogo-sticks.

Therefore, they are the VERY FIRST THING that should be changed, on ANY 400EX.
Before exhausts, intakes, cams, carbs, or ANY engine mods.

All the "Mo' Power" stuff won't do you one lick of good, if you cant put it on the ground, (and keep it there).

a stock 400EX, already has more power and speed, than the stock front shocks can handle.
(ironically, the stock REAR shock, is actually a fairly decent shock)

Now with that said,...

Don't waste much time before getting that stabilizer too.
The upgraded shocks WITH a stabilizer, will allow you to ride much faster and SAFER, than all the other available goodies combined.

Already have the 450r's... so between the springs and a stabilizer?

CJM
02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Puck style I hear is sooo worth it, the cnc one the guys sells on ebay is what Im eventually aiming for myself.

tri5ron
02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
springs first, then stabilizer.

You want to get those shocks working properly first.
To do so, you need to get the correct combo for your particular needs.

The spring kits are not a "One size fits all".
They are specifically combined, to match your riding style, weight, and A-arm lengths.

Talk to the people at WORKS.
Tell them what you are wanting to do, what your riding style and skill level is, (yeah yeah,.. I know,.. everyones a "Pro Rider", LOL !), they will ask you what your "Riding Weight" is, and if you have extended A-arms or standard (stock OEM) length.

Then they will be able to recommend a spring combo for you.

after that, you can fine tune them with the 3 adjustments on the shocks. Preload, Compression rate, Rebound rate.

Lots of threads here in the archives, on setting up your suspension, How to's, Ride height, etc.

use the search function, and read till your eye's fall out, Haha !

Good luck with your project, and enjoy your newly improved suspension.
I'm sure you will be very pleased with the 450r shocks, after the new springs are installed, and fine tuned.
It will feel like a completely different animal.

trailrider894
02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
springs first, then stabilizer.

You want to get those shocks working properly first.
To do so, you need to get the correct combo for your particular needs.

The spring kits are not a "One size fits all".
They are specifically combined, to match your riding style, weight, and A-arm lengths.

Talk to the people at WORKS.
Tell them what you are wanting to do, what your riding style and skill level is, (yeah yeah,.. I know,.. everyones a "Pro Rider", LOL !), they will ask you what your "Riding Weight" is, and if you have extended A-arms or standard (stock OEM) length.

Then they will be able to recommend a spring combo for you.

after that, you can fine tune them with the 3 adjustments on the shocks. Preload, Compression rate, Rebound rate.

Lots of threads here in the archives, on setting up your suspension, How to's, Ride height, etc.

use the search function, and read till your eye's fall out, Haha !

Good luck with your project, and enjoy your newly improved suspension.
I'm sure you will be very pleased with the 450r shocks, after the new springs are installed, and fine tuned.
It will feel like a completely different animal.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

wilkin250r
02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Plus, be honest about your abilities when talking with your shock builder.

Some people may not realize, but "Pro-level" shocks are often set up softer than "Amateur Level" shocks, because pro-level racers don't case jumps, and don't make the same mistakes that amateur-level racers make.

The reason they ask is because there is a difference, and pro-level isn't always "better". If you're an amateur, tell them. They'll be able to build a shock that will be more forgiving, and will work better for you in the situations that you'll be facing.

dustin_j
02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Hey Ron, would you mind sharing what your crossover heights and tender spring heights (with no preload) are with your setup? By this I mean the height of the spacers, and the spring go betweens that will bottom out each of the 600lb springs to "crossover" to the next equivalent spring rate. 600lb tender springs seem VERY stiff, but it's probably a plush desert setup.

Thank you,
Dustin

BenHonda400ex
02-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Is there any way to adjust the 400ex stock springs incase like I ever go back to the dunes because after a while my arms where hurting from all the bumps in the sand

jtalleman
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
awesome info thanks guys i didnt know u could even do that much with the stock shocks ill just do the works rebuild on it hey ron did that drop ur front end back down with the different springs i do the same kind of racing that u do but i still like the track a lil and im just gonna be keeping my stock a arms for awhile so i was jw

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by BenHonda400ex
Is there any way to adjust the 400ex stock springs incase like I ever go back to the dunes because after a while my arms where hurting from all the bumps in the sand
You can make them softer by changing the pre-load. lol But it won't get better if you don't change to a different shock.

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by jtalleman
awesome info thanks guys i didnt know u could even do that much with the stock shocks ill just do the works rebuild on it hey ron did that drop ur front end back down with the different springs i do the same kind of racing that u do but i still like the track a lil and im just gonna be keeping my stock a arms for awhile so i was jw

The zero preload setup will allow you do adjust your ride height without changing the preload. So the amount it gets raised or lowered is up to you!!! :)

jtalleman
02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
do u know about hwo low how low do u have ur set being that u ride trails cus im wanting to do xc racing thats why i dont wanna extend my a arms so i dont wanna buy any niether

Originally posted by trailrider894
The zero preload setup will allow you do adjust your ride height without changing the preload. So the amount it gets raised or lowered is up to you!!! :)

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
do u know about hwo low how low do u have ur set being that u ride trails cus im wanting to do xc racing thats why i dont wanna extend my a arms so i dont wanna buy any niether

Your post was kinda confusing, so let me clarify... You will be XC racing, I am guessing in the OXC Series?. And then what about the a-arms?

jtalleman
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
sorry im kinda high on oxycodone from surgery how low do you think you can set them and how low do you have yours since u ride xc and all i just want to lowerer mine a little bit and i dont wanna spend the money on a arms right now and yes i wanna start the oxc in april i just wish they had more races than just once a month

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
sorry im kinda high on oxycodone from surgery how low do you think you can set them and how low do you have yours since u ride xc and all i just want to lowerer mine a little bit and i dont wanna spend the money on a arms right now and yes i wanna start the oxc in april i just wish they had more races than just once a month

I don't have the Works Spring kit, but I'll go out and measure my ride height tomorrow and tell you what my XC setup right now is. I am converting to MX now.

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 06:37 PM

The OXC series is gnarly!! Raced it last year...

jtalleman
02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
oh ic i thought you did well i know mine is an inch higher with the stock 450s oh well ill figure it out

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 06:47 PM
oh ic i thought you did well i know mine is an inch higher with the stock 450s oh well ill figure it out

I will tell you that if you call Works they can answer all your questions. I am considering calling them myself... I'll get back to you with what they say.

jtalleman
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
are u racing the oxc this year if so i could use a partner to race with cus none of my friends are into riding as much as i want to be and i could use some new riders to ride with (damn i am whoring up my own post lol)

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM
are u racing the oxc this year if so i could use a partner to race with cus none of my friends are into riding as much as i want to be and i could use some new riders to ride with (damn i am whoring up my own post lol)

lol well i am transfering to MX this year. I might race one or two for fun though... I'll PM you when the time comes around.

jtalleman
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
ight i raced two fair races last year and loved it so ill race and ride whenever i could get away ill prob do a few more fairs this year but im not looking to get to serious into the mx cus i am a carpenter and need all my limbs everyday lol

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
ight i raced two fair races last year and loved it so ill race and ride whenever i could get away ill prob do a few more fairs this year but im not looking to get to serious into the mx cus i am a carpenter and need all my limbs everyday lol

ha ha makes sense... I am a stupid college student... lol