PDA

View Full Version : Need answer really quick .. A-Arm ?

BenHonda400ex
02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
So me and my dad where taking off my top A-arm and we had got the two bolts off that go to the frame and we had already got out the cotter pin and the bottom bolt that holds it to the brake caliber thing and well we have been trying to get it out but it hasn't moved one bit.. Doe's anybody know how to get it loose? Thanks!

HondaPohl
02-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Try a pickle fork. Wedge it in there and bang with a hammer.

AtvKid4Eva
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
yep get a balljoint fork..you can usually rent them at autopart stores..if your putting on new a arms you could always wack it a couple time with a sledge :devil:

NacsMXer
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Pickle fork works but it will rip the boots, and with the stock arms you might be SOL if you do that.

Easiest way I found is to use a couple of sockets and washers. The washers should be the same size or slightly larger than the sockets.

Start out by taking both castle nuts (the special nuts the cotter pins go through), removing them, flipping them over upside down, and putting them back on loosely by hand.

Now take one socket, and two washers.....put one washer on each end of the socket. Put that whole setup in between the two castle nuts you just flipped over. By hand, tighten the two castle nuts into the socket until it can hold it in place.

Now that the socket is resting between the two nuts, you can grab a couple of wrenches and continue tightening the nuts towards the socket. Keep on cranking on them, and eventually one of the ball joints will pop out of the spindle! Loosen the side that popped out, and pull it out of the spindle. Now you are left with just one side left in there.

Now you are going to take two sockets and stack them on top of each other to get some extra height. Place the stacked sockets (one washer at each end of the stack like before) and put it between the remaining castle nut and spindle itself. Do just like before, and hand tighten the nut into the socket until it holds itself in place. Now take a wrench and keep tightening towards the socket until the last ball joint pops out. You're done!

Here's a pic of the last step with the two sockets. The first step is just the same, except using one socket.
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9389/dsc00144ap2.jpg

HondaPohl
02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Nice tip!

BenHonda400ex
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah thanks for all the opinions I got it off.. I just had to stick a wedge in it and hit it with a hammer really hard

wild250rman
02-12-2011, 06:07 PM
the bfh always works.lol