PDA

View Full Version : 05 Z400 Carb Settings

derekhonda
02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Not getting much of a response in the Z400 section, so I'm breakin the golden rule!

What is the stock main jet? (2005 Z400)

Where is the idle screw, and what is it's stock adjustment?

Where is the air/fuel screw, and what is it's stock adjustment?

Thanks, and sorry!

RATPACK Z400
02-11-2011, 11:22 AM
The black round knob under carb is idle ,the air/fuel screw is under carb in front(under cap)puck cap off it under it. you probably wont to get jet kit with new needle if you are jetting with new pipe ! jet kit will walk you though what you need to do but get jet kit first before trying to tune. you get pipe/airfilter/jetkit that quad will roll out!

derekhonda
02-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Thank you. Any Idea what the stock jet size is?

RATPACK Z400
02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Dont remeber ! what are you jetting for? or is it just running bad and needs jetting?

derekhonda
02-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Yes, Running very bad burpin and fartin and won't idle.

chucked
02-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Has it sat for awhile? Low speed jet might be clogged

derekhonda
02-12-2011, 05:54 AM
I guess I just need factory Idle settings, if anyone has them.

Doin a favor for a friend, his Z400 hasn't been ridden in 2 years (or started!) and I sold it for him, now I have to get it running! Yay me

fuel tank was just about empty, so 1/4 can of sea foam and 2 fresh gallons of 93 octane.

Took bowl off, blew out pilot & main with carb cleaner and compressor and then carb cleaner again. Cleaned needle. Soaked entire carb in carb cleaner blew it through every hole.

New sparkplug, battery charger, fired right up on choke.

Kinda burped and farted the whole time, finally started to ease it off choke after a couple of minutes and wouldn't stay at idle, it would just die.

Everything is stock on machine except he pulled the endcap off the exhaust. 146 jet which i think is stock.

So, I see two adjustment knobs on carb, one is easily turned by hand at the bottom of the carb on the bowl. The other is a straight screwdriver screw about three inches above the other adjustment screw, but I havn't been able to get it to budge. It appears to be turned 100% in.

Which is which and where do they need to be? Thanks in advance!!!

RATPACK Z400
02-12-2011, 10:45 AM
If i were him put end cap back on and jet it then if he wants pipe there,s people on this forum that have used ones for sale or buy new then jet it! that end cap off BS is just loud not gaining much and sounds like its jetted too high.would just go back to stock for now then decide what he,s whats to do about pipe!besure to get jet kit that has new needle in it!