PDA

View Full Version : how do you kill pre riding jitters

dxcody
02-10-2011, 11:26 PM
ok so everytime before i ride i get horrible pre rid jitters. like last fall my buddies took me to attica indiana to the badlands and i was about to have a heart attack before we started riding, im not sure what causes this, im not scared to wreck i guess im just scared they are going to take off hauling ballz and ill get lost or something got any tips for this? im going riding saturday and i would really like to cure this somehow.

UnderFire
02-10-2011, 11:48 PM
There is no cure because it is not an illness.

You're simply over-thinking where it's not needed. The best way to deal with any type of "Stage Fright" state of mind is to simply let it go and have no anticipation with what will happen next.

I used to be very worrisome about too many things to count, usually right before a concert with the band, or other stage fright situations, the best way to get rid of jitters that you can't let go of is to just do what you would normally, which occupies most of your thinking power. Such as, talking to friends, listening to music, watching a video or something...

CJM
02-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Think of something else, its just your nerves. For instance try and find humor in something that always works for me.

jcs003
02-11-2011, 02:36 AM
if you get like this before riding then anticipation of sex would give you a stroke.lol. just teasing you.

if you are an anxious person, then this is the cause. you get excited before you are actually involved in the activity. nothing wrong with being happy and excited waiting to do something you enjoy.

DragonGunner
02-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
ok so everytime before i ride i get horrible pre rid jitters. like last fall my buddies took me to attica indiana to the badlands and i was about to have a heart attack before we started riding, im not sure what causes this, im not scared to wreck i guess im just scared they are going to take off hauling ballz and ill get lost or something got any tips for this? im going riding saturday and i would really like to cure this somehow.

After years of racing I still get these before a race, I use to get them when going to Badlands also...probably I knew I would be climbing some hills that could get me hurt.....an one did one day...bad. Jitters can be very good, an not bad...they wake you up, make you stay on your toes...I have a tape of guys on snowmobiles climbing these unbelievable mts...most said they had fun an never got scared...one guy, one of the best in fact, said that before each climb he was scared to death, real bad...but said he used this to to concentrate on what had to be done.
If you just got jitters about getting left behind an getting lost...don't worry, there are usually other folks riding around, just ask them which way to the parking lot....I've had lots of people ask me that while riding...an with all the snow, your buddy's may not be able to go fast enough to lose you this time anyway...good luck...I'm hoping to be at the Badlands XC race later this month...hope the snow is gone by then...an after not racing for the last 3 yrs....my nerves will be shot!!! But I race good that way...after the start it ALL goes away.

dxcody
02-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
After years of racing I still get these before a race, I use to get them when going to Badlands also...probably I knew I would be climbing some hills that could get me hurt.....an one did one day...bad. Jitters can be very good, an not bad...they wake you up, make you stay on your toes...I have a tape of guys on snowmobiles climbing these unbelievable mts...most said they had fun an never got scared...one guy, one of the best in fact, said that before each climb he was scared to death, real bad...but said he used this to to concentrate on what had to be done.
If you just got jitters about getting left behind an getting lost...don't worry, there are usually other folks riding around, just ask them which way to the parking lot....I've had lots of people ask me that while riding...an with all the snow, your buddy's may not be able to go fast enough to lose you this time anyway...good luck...I'm hoping to be at the Badlands XC race later this month...hope the snow is gone by then...an after not racing for the last 3 yrs....my nerves will be shot!!! But I race good that way...after the start it ALL goes away.

2 of the 3 buds i am riding tomorrow with are racing that attica race as well, they wanted me to race but i want to get my quad set up a little better before i go and race, thanks for the advice! Good luck on racing and im going to try to turn these nerves into some awareness. and you are correct, the moment your foot clocks that shifter down your mind just focuses pure on riding haha this will be my first real ride on my 416, last time i went riding i had the little 300ex haha

dxcody
02-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
if you get like this before riding then anticipation of sex would give you a stroke.lol. just teasing you.

if you are an anxious person, then this is the cause. you get excited before you are actually involved in the activity. nothing wrong with being happy and excited waiting to do something you enjoy.

hahahahaha that aint no joke man
yes i am anxious (like a little girl getting a puppy) i think alot of it is that i have never rode my 416 in the woods before, i just got it a couple weeks ago and have only putted around the yard, last time i went ridin a had the 300ex and its quite a transfer for 300 to 416 lol

wheelman
02-11-2011, 07:38 AM
You could get a gps for when you ride. I carry a garmin when I'm going somewhere I don't know my way around. If I were to get lost I could easily use it to retrace my steps back to the truck.

wheelman
02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
hahahahaha that aint no joke man
yes i am anxious (like a little girl getting a puppy) i think alot of it is that i have never rode my 416 in the woods before, i just got it a couple weeks ago and have only putted around the yard, last time i went ridin a had the 300ex and its quite a transfer for 300 to 416 lol

Just take it easy and you'll be fine. Your 416 isnt going to jump up and bite you just keep your thumb out of it til you're ready. I hadn't ridden anything in years and went and picked up the 700 before any other bikes and going full throttle on it scared the crap out of me for the first few times before I got used to it. Just ride easy and gradually go faster as you get more comfortable.

RATPACK Z400
02-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I get it everytime before i ride mostly when im with my riding group and where getting ready to go its excitement thats over welming you,and your heart starts beating fast it where,s off after 5-10min after you start riding

DragonGunner
02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
2 of the 3 buds i am riding tomorrow with are racing that attica race as well, they wanted me to race but i want to get my quad set up a little better before i go and race, thanks for the advice! Good luck on racing and im going to try to turn these nerves into some awareness. and you are correct, the moment your foot clocks that shifter down your mind just focuses pure on riding haha this will be my first real ride on my 416, last time i went riding i had the little 300ex haha

If I make it to the race tell your friends to stop by an say hi, an not to run me over in the race!!! I'm going to enter the 40 yr. class...looking at just a fun race an see whats left in my tank, then race the local Grand Prix races at the Reads track...look for #61.

slightlybent47
02-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Don’t worry about anyone else, just ride your ride at your level and don’t get pushed into something you are not ready for. I have found myself just thinking about a race and I can feel my heart rate go up and the hair stands up on end. You can over think anything and when you do you start thinking of the bad things and not the good. getting your mind off the subject is a good way to distract yourself from thinking to much.
Remember ride at your level and not someone else’s!

finsteratv
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
im usually to pumped up thinking about how great the rides gonna be haha :D but i definately know what you mean when you look at that first big hill climb er somthing....

dxcody
02-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
If I make it to the race tell your friends to stop by an say hi, an not to run me over in the race!!! I'm going to enter the 40 yr. class...looking at just a fun race an see whats left in my tank, then race the local Grand Prix races at the Reads track...look for #61.
ok i will be at that race cheering you and my buds on that quad looks great! oh and i have another problem now... I went to put my rear brake caliper on and the piston wont decompress. i pump up the brake and it doesnt move but i know its not bad because it worked fine yesterday.. got anything for that? this is a great problem to have 12 hours before i go riding!! haha

vinnytobasco
02-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Now I'm not sure what your saying? Is it that your nervouse that you are going to wreck or get lost, or are you excited to get out there and do it?You can't be afraid to wreck because at some point in time your going to wreck and thats just how it is.Also I can't offer any advise about being afraid of getting lost, because I ride with a group of people who look out for eachother pritty well.
Befor almost every day of rideing I watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Y7iqn4x9U&feature=related ,or one similar to it.It inspires me ,gets me excited to push my limits, and try new things. The most important thing is to just go out there and have fun. Every time befor I go rideing i get giddy and hop around like a little girl, I rush everyone to get ready and leave as soon as possible, thats just how I am. But be safe and have a great time rideing your new quad !

vinnytobasco
02-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Ohh and if your saying that the piston is pushed all the way out because someone pressed on the petal while the caliper was off, just put a C clamp on it and tighten it down against both pads put together,I would make sure you tighten it down on the metal part not the brake pad material.

DragonGunner
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
If you go back to work on your brake, like above said, use a clamp to push it back in, AND, you may have to loosed the parking brake bolt for it to compress back further.

HondaPohl
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Have a couple beers.

BenHonda400ex
02-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Haha. I remember the first time I rode my dad's Four-wheeler, I was scared out of my mind.. My 400ex didn't scare me anymore after a couple of rides probably after the 2nd ride, I've never really gotten gitters except riding at like Chadwick Missouri

finsteratv
02-12-2011, 11:33 PM
i actually at first looked at a 450 which intimidated me. being only what??13 at the time coming from a 300ex. after seeing how it rode i came to the sad conclusion it would suck at the tight trails i do stock. so i tried my moms new 400ex and i loved it! pulling wheelies first time i rode it and never been scard of it! just always too excited and ready to rip.

dxcody
02-13-2011, 05:20 AM
well it went really well actually, i love the 416! way better than riding my 300ex. it was very very slick, and my bud that USED to be faster than me wasnt going as fast as i thought he would.. as a matter of fact he was slower than me and i climbed a few hills that he said he wouldnt because it was so slick.. i have never had a better riding day in my life.. cant wait till it gets dry so i can really hit the hills and trails

MtnEX
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
The 400EX is just a great quad for picking up your speed, your riding level.... and most of all it is just confidence inspiring.

I find I can take mine places I can't take the other two because of this.

I always recommend it to new adult riders and I always put my friends on mine as a "buddy quad".

I always put guys like you between us on rides so you don't get lost or get into trouble with no one around. It's just polite and responsible.

finsteratv
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
i always run in the back of the pack so i can help my downed dirtbike buddies haha.or in the front roosting it up!