PDA

View Full Version : 05 z400 carb acting up, wont idle

derekhonda
02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I guess I just need factory Idle settings, if anyone has them.

Doin a favor for a friend, his Z400 hasn't been ridden in 2 years (or started!) and I sold it for him, now I have to get it running! Yay me

fuel tank was just about empty, so 1/4 can of sea foam and 2 fresh gallons of 93 octane.

Took bowl off, blew out pilot & main with carb cleaner and compressor and then carb cleaner again. Cleaned needle. Soaked entire carb in carb cleaner blew it through every hole.

New sparkplug, battery charger, fired right up on choke.

Kinda burped and farted the whole time, finally started to ease it off choke after a couple of minutes and wouldn't stay at idle, it would just die.

Everything is stock on machine except he pulled the endcap off the exhaust. 146 jet which i think is stock.

So, I see two adjustment knobs on carb, one is easily turned by hand at the bottom of the carb on the bowl. The other is a straight screwdriver screw about three inches above the other adjustment screw, but I havn't been able to get it to budge. It appears to be turned 100% in.

Which is which and where do they need to be? Thanks in advance!!!

derekhonda
02-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Did a little more digging. It also has an aftermarket air filter and he did put a dynojet kit in the carb (uh oh) and said it never quite ran right after he did.

I also found where 2003 z400's came stock with a 130 jet, so if they had not changed anything, I think I just have to go back to stock or maybe a hair bigger. Is stock also 130 for 2005?

And then where is the idle screw? Thanks!

RATPACK Z400
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
If it only has airfilter go with stock settings or maybe a 132jet at most I got pipe and im at 152 i think .but when I did just filter I didn,t need jetting.When I changed air filter you could feel a burst in accelaration like 2-3hps!