PDA

View Full Version : Rancher Help

TCracin440ex
02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
well i bought a 2004 honda rancher that is broke down. i paid 500 bucks for it. but the guy said he didnt know whats wrong with it. so we started pulling it down tonight and we took the tappet covers off and proceeded to crank on the engine to see if the rockers were moving. well they only move some of the time. and when they dont move you can hear a grinding sound that sounds like chain or something to that extent. me and my pops are stumped on this one. the motor is a pushrod style engine.

im not sure if the gears on the cam are wore down to the point where they are barley grabbing or maybe the cam chain tensioner is shot. wonder if maybe somebody could shed some light on this. id really like to get this quad going. i dont want to have to part it out.

CJM
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Ive never worked on one of those really, but can you remove the tensioner off the side of the block like an EX/450r? If so take it off and see how springy it is, no or little spring its bad.

TCracin440ex
02-10-2011, 06:14 PM
noo sir you sure cant not to my knoweldge. the cam and everything is down in the low end of the motor.