PDA

View Full Version : user recommendations for 1st oil change

dave07ex
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
2008 400ex. What are you guys doing at the first oil change, aside from changing oil and replacing filter. What should be adjusted or changed, if anything?

CJM
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Depends on how many hours, but I usually check the air filter and clean and re-oil it if need be.

other than that I dont do a thing, its a 400ex and its a honda its generally reliable :)

dave07ex
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna do the first change after about 20 easy hours. What about valve adjustment or chain tightening?

CJM
02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I check my chain like every ride usually (so when its warm outside like 1x or more a week) so I didnt include it. I also lube it at the same time.

Chain should have about 1.25 to 1.5 inches of slack. I usually take a tape measure, use my skid as a reference and go to the middle of the chain about 6 inches in from the rear of the swinger and measure there.

You could check your valves, they are easy to adjust once you get it actually in time (rockers must be loose, you will understand when you do it). Handy write up on that btw: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

btw, biggest thing to watch out for is to not over tighten the drain bolt or oil filter cover bolts, its very easy to snap the filter cover bolts and if you tighten the oil drain bolt to much your gonna get the welded piece of metal bung thats currently attached to the tank in your hands next time.