PDA

View Full Version : 2007 drx 50

dirtycj5
02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
im gonna look at a 07 drx 50 today for my son hes out growing his suzuki lta50.
the drx has low hours 2 sets of tires stock set and a set of hole shots on aloys they want $1200 is that a good price? any thing i should i look for?

Logan #34's Dad
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I'd say that would be a good buy IF it is a duel a-arm model with the upper a-arm mount hoop is on the outside of the frame rails. 07 is when they started to convert the single a-arm machines into duel a-arm models and there was an early version that the hoop was on the inside of the frame rails.

dirtycj5
02-09-2011, 09:03 PM
i ended up buying the quad it is clean just needs fresh gas and a plug its been sitting for alittle while.
heres some pic's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/fqdawld/100_1940.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/fqdawld/100_1924.jpg

jerkyboy
02-10-2011, 02:52 AM
Looks like you got a good deal. This looks like the late 07 frame
it could easly be converted to L/C if you ever wanted. Keep an eye on the rear swingarm if he starts getting some good air over jumps. If its the round tube one it could bend.

EthansDad
02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
What Jerky said is real important. these frames and swing arms bend/crack easy. if you plan on getting it on a MX track, you should do some reinforcement of both swing arm and frame. If he's just going to ride it around the yard, no problem. my kid, at 4 about the same size as yours busted up our frame and swing arm on a pee wee track jumping only about 6 inches high!

big spots to get and are the easiest:
swing arm: at lower shock mount - add gussets to keep it from bending backwards (towards rear wheels)

Frame - at upper rear shock mount - weld on gussets left and right of mount that go to the frame on both sides (long)

Both of these you can get done without totally stripping the quad. can do more, but these two spots will be the first to break.

Getting a new rear shock will also help the cause, but either way save yourself some $$ and pain and get these to a welder sooner rather than later.

-EA

jerkyboy
02-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Im hoping the fresh fuel you put in it was premix. I notice in the picture the single pull throtle cable which will not work the oil injection pump.

nitrofish
02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Looks like a happy camper! You may want to look into an aftermarket axle as well, another weak point. I have a stock square tube swinger if you are intereted. Matt.

EthansDad
02-10-2011, 08:12 AM
good eye Jerky!:eek2:

Also, what is up with that Chain guard? have not seen that setup before, looks like the entire chain in enclosed. I'd take that off for like a 5lbs weight drop!

Logan #34's Dad
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Great buy! It even looks like a 44" wide one. Kid is happy - Parents are happy!

dirtycj5
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by jerkyboy
Im hoping the fresh fuel you put in it was premix. I notice in the picture the single pull throtle cable which will not work the oil injection pump.

yep premix with maxima castor and 110 race gas i have a barrel thats all i run in my quads. only my z400 gets regular gas we only have e-10 crap gas here.

dirtycj5
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
What Jerky said is real important. these frames and swing arms bend/crack easy. if you plan on getting it on a MX track, you should do some reinforcement of both swing arm and frame. If he's just going to ride it around the yard, no problem. my kid, at 4 about the same size as yours busted up our frame and swing arm on a pee wee track jumping only about 6 inches high!

big spots to get and are the easiest:
swing arm: at lower shock mount - add gussets to keep it from bending backwards (towards rear wheels)

Frame - at upper rear shock mount - weld on gussets left and right of mount that go to the frame on both sides (long)

Both of these you can get done without totally stripping the quad. can do more, but these two spots will be the first to break.

Getting a new rear shock will also help the cause, but either way save yourself some $$ and pain and get these to a welder sooner rather than later.

-EA

do you have any pic's of the gussets? the quad is gonna be used only for mx ill get the frame gusseted asap.
thanks!!

Logan #34's Dad
02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
The biggest "have too" place for gussetts is where the lower frame rail meets the upper frame rail under the seat area. Put a triangle on both sides that vertical tube connected to the horizonal tube.
To give you an idea, I've got about 12 gussetts on our DRR.

EthansDad
02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Check this link out. Has pics of all the major spots. Generally when I do gusets complete I strip it down to bare frame, do the welding, then get it powder coated while it's stripped down. It's kind of a big job, but anyone on here can tell you what will happen if you don't do something to the frame.

http://www.miniquadsracing.com/gusseting.html

dirtycj5
02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks!!!! for all the info im gonna gusset the fram this weekend before he hits the track...
thanks