PDA

View Full Version : xr400 cam queston about break in

shook
12-02-2001, 07:47 PM
Im am installing a new cam the xr400 cam what should i use for cam lube it didnt come with any.And also what is the recommended ring gap on the rings for the JE std. bore piston or can you just put the rings they send you with the piston on it and go and not have to worry about checking the ring gap.If anyone has any knowledge of this please respond,THANKS

EX 80
12-02-2001, 07:52 PM
I checked the ring end gap on my piston when i first got it, i wasted my time cause they were perfect. As for the XR 400 cam i lubed it up with engine oil, same stuff i used to break in motor, not synthetic stuff.

12-03-2001, 07:07 PM
SHOOK

My rings that came with the JE piston were right on. Go to your local auto parts store and get a small amount of moly lube (molybdenum disulfide grease) and wipe it on the cam lobes and rocker arms + rocker slippers. When you drop in the cam fill the pockets in the head where the cam bearings sit with engine oil and put a drop of oil on all moving parts while your there. I like to change the oil and filter after about an hour of break in time to clean all the moly lube and inadvertant gunk out of the engine.
Hope thi helps! :D