PDA

View Full Version : Trail-Friendly 450r coming from Suzuki?

WOODSMX
02-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Hi,

Many of you know Suzuki has the Quadracer R450. Does anyone know if Suzuki may have plans to release a trail friendly version to this beastly machine designed for the woods? Without narrowing A-arms, changing fuel mapping, ground clearance and so on....

Do any of you plan to see something like Yamaha did to its YFZ450R made a YFZ450X with Suzuki?

Baracudaaa
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
You are in the wrong day and age to see anything new rolling off the Suzuki showroom floor.

WOODSMX
02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
I dont mean anytime soon, in the future.

RATPACK Z400
02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
After all this recession Bs Im sure you,ll see a trail friendly 450 but if your not racing GNNC 50in for trails rules I would never go back to stock width way too tippy feel on all quads that are 49+ IMO tight trails that your cant ride 50in on arent worth riding anyway ! Who wants to ride 5mph anyway?unless your on a utlity quad !

WOODSMX
02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
My guess when the 2013 models come out there will be something new

Canadian144
02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Really nothing wrong with R. Slap on a pair of larger wheels and tires, a "quiet" series exhaust, a Yoshimura Cherry bomb, and you're good to go. I've never felt that the R was too wide in the woods.

RATPACK Z400
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
You just got a bunch of whinny babys that think 50in in woods is too much! 5-10 mph tight trails aren,t worth riding IMO. I ride tight trails allthe time would never ride any quad at 46 in they have the worst handling!

WOODSMX
02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
People from Yamaha really must of thought that their R was too wide for the woods at 50 in wheel base, and brought it down from a 50 to a 46 in their model yfz450x. Like really, a 4 inch difference is not significant.

Scro
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
4 inches is a huge difference, especially talking about a woods quad. I could tell a huge difference in a +1 front end, over a front end that's +1/2". Being that much more narrower could be the difference in splitting two trees in 2nd gear, and squeezing through at a snails pace in 1st. Anybody that says 50" isn't too wide for woods, has never really rode woods.:p

WOODSMX
02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Scro
4 inches is a huge difference, especially talking about a woods quad. I could tell a huge difference in a +1 front end, over a front end that's +1/2". Being that much more narrower could be the difference in splitting two trees in 2nd gear, and squeezing through at a snails pace in 1st. Anybody that says 50" isn't too wide for woods, has never really rode woods.:p

Not around here, Yamaha Rhino's make it practically anywhere in the woods. If that can fit, so can an LTR.

RATPACK Z400
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
yeah your gonna run into spots that are tight but most trails are no problem unless your racing GNNC. IMO 50in will do fine if the trails are that tight why ride them ! I ride MD/PA and NEVER have problems with tight trails and I think the East coast has the tightest trails IMO ! For people to say you cant and it s#cks to ride 50in,s aren,t use to it ,dont see the handling is far suprior feel not that tippy feel the 46in quads have to deal with !I love spanking them in the turns on a wide trails,There,s nothing they can do !

WOODSMX
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
yeah your gonna run into spots that are tight but most trails are no problem unless your racing GNNC. IMO 50in will do fine if the trails are that tight why ride them ! I ride MD/PA and NEVER have problems with tight trails and I think the East coast has the tightest trails IMO ! For people to say you cant and it s#cks to ride 50in,s aren,t use to it ,dont see the handling is far suprior feel not that tippy feel the 46in quads have to deal with !I love spanking them in the turns on a wide trails,There,s nothing they can do !

Thats so true! I live in PA, and the trails here are easy accessible by 50 inch wheelbase.

buck440
02-09-2011, 01:27 PM
i bet the wider the better you would do in ruts too since most peoples atv's aren't that wide.

Rich250RRacer
02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
You just got a bunch of whinny babys that think 50in in woods is too much! 5-10 mph tight trails aren,t worth riding IMO. I ride tight trails allthe time would never ride any quad at 46 in they have the worst handling!

If you want to go faster than 5-10 mph then you need a narrow quad, or hadn't you figured that out, plus you need the skill to ride them, which apparently you don't have.

CJM
02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I would like to share some thoughts on width. I bought my 400ex used and the kid put a nice extended axle on it. I have it set to the lower setting on 2 inches on each side (total of 4) and its under 50 inches, something like 48 inches. Front is still stock.

I ride on wooded trails alot and never have any issues. At my usual spot the trails are about 6 feet at most and 4 feet in the least. I NEVER have an issue, sure sometimes I gotta pick my lines carefully if there are smaller offshoot trails but I never had an issue. If the rear fits some +2s up front will fit as well.

FWIW I also dont go slow, 20mph + is considered the norm.

Now if you had it fully extended for MX style racing then it might be an issue.

Smoker
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Rode a 50" wide quad trail riding, loved it. You could straddle rutted out mud holes or have one tire on the edge of the rut and one in, never got stuck. There were the occasional tight spots but you get good at picking out wider lines and not blitzing something questionable. Would never try to race it since a lot of the track promoters are always looking for non-rutted wore out track on their land so they twist you around the stuff that you can barely get a woods quad through, you'll have a lousy day, not that you can't do it.

Canadian144
02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that 50" can work in every application. It really just depends on the trails that one rides on. For me and the extensive trail network up at my cottage, it's great. The trails get really rough in some spots, but never narrow enough that I can't fit tin between trees.

trailrider894
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Ha !!!! You guys had better not come to missouri.... Our trails aren't the ones like alot of you guys have. Our trails go un groomed for years and can hardly fit a 46in quad. When i went out with my +2's, i couldn't fit in half of the state parks around here or the private trails.

CJM
02-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Guess it depends on where you are. For me the fact that the +2 overall rides so much smoother and better than the stock setup is a real big thing. I so wish I had the cash to finish the front, I rode a +2 overall EX and lemme tell you what it hugs the ground unlike anything Ive ever been on.

Could always put 4:1's on the front and flip your back wheels inside :)

trailrider894
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Guess it depends on where you are. For me the fact that the +2 overall rides so much smoother and better than the stock setup is a real big thing. I so wish I had the cash to finish the front, I rode a +2 overall EX and lemme tell you what it hugs the ground unlike anything Ive ever been on.

Could always put 4:1's on the front and flip your back wheels inside :)

the +2's on my EX ate up a yfz at an mx track....

CJM
02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
I think its the fact that the width adds stability in the turns and you corner much better :)

Right now if I turn to hard the backend wants to lift and I feel tippy even with the extended axle.

RATPACK Z400
02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
When we ride are trails we get alot of people together and trim them once a yr we had 20miles of trails was awesome ! I like to ride PA the most cause of the trails up there are the best Ive ever seen ! and Ive rode CA (buttercup)AZ (fourpeaks,Sinders),WV,KY(hatfieldmckoy),PA.SO to say you dont know how to ride MR rich250r you dont know what your talking! I just dont ride crappy tight trails like you!

nkillian9
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
i live in arkansas and most trails are fine for the ltr stock width but if u run any of the harescrambles its a lil to wide there is only a couple of the races that a stock ltr can fit thru when they have two trees a 46 inch bike has to come to a stop to get between the ltr has to run thru a briar thicket to get around and this is why i race mx anymore im not saying our woods races suck im just saying they are more technical and thus for will make u a better rider anyone can ride fast on an open trail lol i remember when i thought i was fast until i raced my 1st harescramble

trailrider894
02-10-2011, 10:49 AM
When we ride are trails we get alot of people together and trim them once a yr we had 20miles of trails was awesome ! I like to ride PA the most cause of the trails up there are the best Ive ever seen ! and Ive rode CA (buttercup)AZ (fourpeaks,Sinders),WV,KY(hatfieldmckoy),PA.SO to say you dont know how to ride MR rich250r you dont know what your talking! I just dont ride crappy tight trails like you!

Well... ANYONE can go out and hit a well maintained trail system and ride it fast. We have a place that has a trail that is about 53" wide, and i can with +2's ride that in 4th and 5th gear with ease. Then we get to the Ozarks mountain trails that are straight up and straight down into marshs, creeks, mudbogs, then followed by fast climbing hills and most have some sort of step up on top. I would just love to see you, come out here and ride our trails, and be half as fast as me. You need to consider that all the trails you named except hatfield-mckoy do not classify as " tight and technical " trails. I've been to hatfield back when i first got my KX250 and even that was easy stuff compared to our trails here. Missouri's trails will seperate the boys from the men. I'll show you first hand.

Smoker
02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
A trail riding pissing match, genius, lol! Gotta love forums.

RATPACK Z400
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Ive been riding tight trail all my life after awhile you look for trail systems that aren,t so tight and fun to fly down ,I went to hatfield-mcoy the first yr it was tight and not finished and rocky as hell I thought id never go back but went yrs later it was awesome they cleared alot of rocks and groomed trails better . As for being fast Im very fast in woods and can ride with the best of them I just dont waste my time riding crappy trail systems ! i like to go somewhere its a fast pace run allday not fighting to get though trails. it funny how people like to get into pissing matchs about everything! Funny thing is ID probably come out there and spank you on your own trails! HA Ha just kidding!

trailrider894
02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Ive been riding tight trail all my life after awhile you look for trail systems that aren,t so tight and fun to fly down ,I went to hatfield-mcoy the first yr it was tight and not finished and rocky as hell I thought id never go back but went yrs later it was awesome they cleared alot of rocks and groomed trails better . As for being fast Im very fast in woods and can ride with the best of them I just dont waste my time riding crappy trail systems ! i like to go somewhere its a fast pace run allday not fighting to get though trails. it funny how people like to get into pissing matchs about everything! Funny thing is ID probably come out there and spank you on your own trails! HA Ha just kidding!

Lol its not a pissing match... its a friendly invitation to come out here to Missouri and hard some of the best trails in the country. We have some of the best turns outs for XC/Harescramble racing in the nation.

Rich250RRacer
02-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Yeah you might. But I spent eight seasons racing GNCC's when they were tight and technical, not the super highways they are now. Had a career best national #55, to go along with a 67, 73, and 86, to name a few. Plus a Vet class win at the Ironman. So if you think your going to scare me, I doubt it. You are the one who came on here bashing my type of riding. So, if your feeling like a big man, I race CRA harescrambles nearly every Sunday here in Ohio, I'd be more than willing to see you try to spank me on my own trails. Just tell me which quad you want me to bring, my 44" wide XC 250R, or my 46" wide 450R. Your choice.

RATPACK Z400
02-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I wasn,t bashing you or anybody! I was just saying people whin too much about the suzuki being too wide, Im not challenging anyone to a race or who,s the best just stated that I dont like dealing with tight trails anymore and look for trail,s that are fast pace trail system and like to ride at faster pace with group of riders.Not bashing your quad/sport(GNNC) love watching it still when you do watch it, it looks to be plently of width to GNNC couse but I guess thats the TV ! I would love to see what it like riding where you guys ride but because your a GNNC rider does,t make you faster then anyone that just rides for fun!We,ve taken GNNC bikers with us that were amazed at the pace we go and can stay with them ,I got friends in group that could probably beat most pro,s but all of us have familys/kids and are passed are prime too race anymore so we find trails to race each other all day on (mostly PA trails).It takes more skill to ride wide!

300racer
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
id you can only ride 5-10 in tight trails you can't right. so sell you stuff! :p tight trails is good times.

300racer
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Lol its not a pissing match... its a friendly invitation to come out here to Missouri and hard some of the best trails in the country. We have some of the best turns outs for XC/Harescramble racing in the nation.
i ran the oxc's back in 07 and the riders over there are no joke! and they do have some of the best xc racer's in the nation. and the tracks are really fun to race on.

trailrider894
02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
i ran the oxc's back in 07 and the riders over there are no joke! and they do have some of the best xc racer's in the nation. and the tracks are really fun to race on.

I know man!!! Ran at westaphalia awhile back!!! We just have the biggest variety of terrain.

416racer
02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I know man!!! Ran at westaphalia awhile back!!! We just have the biggest variety of terrain.
when did you race there? what class? just wondering if we meet.

jcv400ex
02-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Anybody that says 50" isn't too wide for woods, has never really rode woods.:p

Amen to that Brother!

Pappy
02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
LOL, maybe they have riden the woods but they sure werent going very fast:devil:

trailrider894
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by 416racer
when did you race there? what class? just wondering if we meet.

Hmmm.... It was in '09 it think? In march i think? Did so many different races with my buddies on there extra quads that i can't remember the dates anymore. I would have been riding a blue trx450r with yellow number plates.

krt400ex
02-12-2011, 05:09 AM

i completely agree. i find that the ktm at 47inches is sometimes too wide for the woods. the 400ex at 45 inches was perfect. and it handled tight trails beautifully.

TheLane
02-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i completely agree. i find that the ktm at 47inches is sometimes too wide for the woods. the 400ex at 45 inches was perfect. and it handled tight trails beautifully.

I find that i have never actually seen a tree in my life being from phoenix....at least one that is natural and not planted by mexico's finest.

The closest we get to woods riding out here is dodging the occasional jumping cactus!

RATPACK Z400
02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Lane, you ever go to four peaks/sinders? I use to live there myself in chandler/tempe area . what I said about 50in is for people that DONT race GNNC thats all ! so you guys need to chill with this BS IM not going fast anuff or im faster than you BS ! like i said I have riden tight trails and As I got older I look for groomed or trails riden regularly so that im not dodging sticks and overgrowth hitting me so I can ride at fast pace! Believe me I know tight trails I cut 20miles of them myself for many yrs! Thats the entire reason going to PA the trails are wide and the terrain is the sickist mix of all terrains Ive seen!

tayyo789
02-13-2011, 10:53 PM
The trails where I live aren't even trimmed for ATV's, and there are hills that get past 60 degrees vertical. 5-10 mph is doing good here. IMO its a blast, because its so rediculously technical. It takes a smart rider to make it out, not the fastest