PDA

View Full Version : typoon 90 advice

cdiel
02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
I just bought a Bamx 90 (typhoon) for a trail quad for my boy. I would like to get more a little power. Will full exhaust system help? What else should I do? He also complains about his thumb getting tired. The steering stem already has play in it. Should I just tack weld it? Any advice to make this a better trail quad would be appreciated

Ride1Rob
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Tac weld stem. Take the spring out of the carb and cut a couple of coils off. I wouldn't do more than 4 coils as if you cut too much the throttle will stay in the open position due to not enough spring tension. That will fix the thumb issue. A 90cc fourstroke engine is a turd pretty much. You can buy a 117kit or 124kit. But you'd be better off just upgrading to a whole 125cc engine or higher. If you do that you need to upgrade the carb to at least 24mm Mikuni. 26mm Mikuni probably the best all around carb you can get for small or big motors.

cdiel
02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Will this quad make a good trail machine? Do the 125 engines you talk about bolt right in? Where can you get aftermarket exhaust?

91gtig60
02-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Tac weld stem. Take the spring out of the carb and cut a couple of coils off. I wouldn't do more than 4 coils as if you cut too much the throttle will stay in the open position due to not enough spring tension. That will fix the thumb issue. A 90cc fourstroke engine is a turd pretty much. You can buy a 117kit or 124kit. But you'd be better off just upgrading to a whole 125cc engine or higher. If you do that you need to upgrade the carb to at least 24mm Mikuni. 26mm Mikuni probably the best all around carb you can get for small or big motors. like rob said. we also played with a throttle extender, made the throttle even softer due to more leverage

lem dad
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
114 kit and a vm 26 carb drill and tap into the stem this will help
unless your motor is bad there is no reason to replace most of my builds are off the 90cc motor

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03

Ride1Rob
02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by cdiel
Will this quad make a good trail machine? Do the 125 engines you talk about bolt right in? Where can you get aftermarket exhaust?

I don't see why it wouldn't... Ours has made a nice MX machine and has held up well with aftermarket parts. Yes, the 125cc engines bolt right in. I recommended those to you because it's almost the same price for the big bore kits for the 90cc engine. 117cc big bore kit ($299) 125cc complete engine with all electricals ($315). A no brainer to me.... Call Terry Straubel @ 810 964 1665 ;)

lem dad
02-10-2011, 07:37 AM
someone always knows more the 90cc motor in bike will run with most stock 125cc bikes for 300.00 you will not get much or a performance motor I I know that for a fact for 3 bills a 125 motor will be a low commpression turd and would never run with a pumped 90

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03

cdiel
02-10-2011, 07:46 AM
where would you get motor work done. I was also wanting to know where i could find some aftermarket parts like exhaust, nerfs, and front bumper. Thanks for the help guys

Ride1Rob
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by lem dad
someone always knows more
Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03

From what it looks like to me is that someone doesn't know as much as they "think" they do. He asked for a TRAIL bike setup. A fully built race motor (which you seem to be recommending) would be less durable :rolleyes: . That's a known fact for ANY engine builder or anyone that has knowleadge of engines. Also, the stock head on your 90cc engine is very restricted. You'd have to purchase a better head to get good performance out of that 114 big bore. The price alone for the parts will put him in the $500 price range. For that price he can purchase a stock 150cc Piranha engine and outrun your 114cc fully built engine lol. Again, a Piranha 125cc engine is only $315, if you want alil more umph a 150cc is under $450 ;)

Just for giggles this is my son on his Typhoon coming off the line with a 450, Hybrid 250 Raptor, my son on his Typhoon, Blaster 240, 300ex, And two stock Raptor 250's all in order from left to right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyysPDEMuE4

Ride1Rob
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by cdiel
where would you get motor work done. I was also wanting to know where i could find some aftermarket parts like exhaust, nerfs, and front bumper. Thanks for the help guys

Bro, contact the guy I posted up top. Where I get all my stuff from.:cool:

cdiel
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Could you point me in the right direction for some aftermarket parts? Looking for nerfs, Full exhaust, and front bumper. I'm not looking to change motors yet. My oldest boy is 8 and i'm trying to get him started shifting and in a year or two plan on getting a pitster or yamaha 125 and let my 4 year old start riding the xtreme. Just wanted some quick and easy hop ups and any other things to make it trail ready

leager-n-ky
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
AC makes nerfs, and bumpers. You can also get a thumb throttle from a Honda 400ex/450r, that along with the spring trick that Rob mentioned will really help. Several choices on exhaust, we used CHP, I know FMF makes one, look on ebay. Pit Bike exhaust fit the typhoon (certain ones)

racerboy03
02-12-2011, 11:32 AM
From what it looks like to me is that someone doesn't know as much as they "think" they do. He asked for a TRAIL bike setup. A fully built race motor (which you seem to be recommending) would be less durable :rolleyes: . That's a known fact for ANY engine builder or anyone that has knowleadge of engines. Also, the stock head on your 90cc engine is very restricted. You'd have to purchase a better head to get good performance out of that 114 big bore. The price alone for the parts will put him in the $500 price range. For that price he can purchase a stock 150cc Piranha engine and outrun your 114cc fully built engine lol. Again, a Piranha 125cc engine is only $315, if you want alil more umph a 150cc is under $450 ;)

Just for giggles this is my son on his Typhoon coming off the line with a 450, Hybrid 250 Raptor, my son on his Typhoon, Blaster 240, 300ex, And two stock Raptor 250's all in order from left to right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyysPDEMuE4
if you know so much about motors how come you have someone else build them for you?

91gtig60
02-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by racerboy03
if you know so much about motors how come you have someone else build them for you? wow! comment not needed! if your going to be a smart ***** go to another forum. we are all on here to help each other not talk shiit!

Ride1Rob
02-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by racerboy03
if you know so much about motors how come you have someone else build them for you?

Because that someone who builds my engines is the person I get ALL my advice from and is my sons sponsor. By the way, when my sons engines need refreshed I'M THE ONE that tears into them and rebuilds them ;) . Our sponsor puts our combinations together because he knows what works best internally. The head work on the motor you see in that vid coming off the gate with those bigger quads... I DID and have done on ALL my sons engines and even my 450 which I have vids of as well if you'd like to see em ;) . Any more questions I'd be happy to answer.

leager-n-ky
02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
There is always one in the crowd....

Ride1Rob
02-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 91gtig60
wow! comment not needed! if your going to be a smart ***** go to another forum. we are all on here to help each other not talk shiit!

Originally posted by leager-n-ky
There is always one in the crowd....

Well guys he's only trying to take up for Daddy. It's lemdad's kid lol.

racerboy03
02-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Well guys he's only trying to take up for Daddy. It's lemdad's kid lol. im not trying to be smart but you told someone who builds my motors which has beat national level drrs that he doesnt know as much as he thinks he does i think your being a bit smart in my mind

Ride1Rob
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
I said that because your dad is trying to convince someone to purchase race parts for a trail bike for basically the same price as what the guy can buy a complete engine for. That engine would be more durable and leaves two birds in the hand rather than one. Your father being a good mechanic (If indeed he is) would know a race engine is not really ideal for family trail riding. It can be done but why :ermm: ?

turbo j
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
I think you can buy any CRF70 pipe off ebay and it will bolt right up. That is what I did. For an even cheaper mod you can cut out the bulge in the exhaust pipe and weld in a piece of straight pipe. That bulge is like a mini-cat converter. Then go up on the carb size, I have had good luck with a 24mm.