PDA

View Full Version : A arm choices

tayyo789
02-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I ride dunes, and I'm looking for some new arms. I want something affordable, but I also need some quality, unlike my Fullflights. I basically know the brands and their general quality, but I don't know about who uses what ball joints. My Fullflights have to be lubed at least once a day when I go to the dunes, or they squeal, so I'm looking for some that don't have exposed ball joints.
My biggest question is where can I get +3's without having to go LT? I don't want to spend the money on new shocks if I don't have to, but I need to go a little wider than I have now.

alanauclair
02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
The problem with the full flight arms is they don't use a ball joint they use heim joints. And yes unless you keep them immaculate everyone know is about impossible if your quad leaves the garage! I have asr or american star racing on my quad. These are super strong and have a lifetime warranty and if you get the mx pro arms they have nice ball joints instead of heims. If you run plus 3s though you are going to need brake lines as well. You can get a whole kit from asr on ebay with stainless steel brake lines, arms, ball joints, tie rods with ends, for $493. however these arms are caster and camber adjustable which can be a little time consuming to setup, but Mike at asr is great with helping with setting and it only take a less than $10 angle finder to set them up.

Or you could go with some arms such as jd performance which I am not sure about their quality as I have never personally had them, but they are just a little more expensive at around $550 but don't come with tie rod ends. These are also ball joints but have a much easier setup due to a different style of being mounted to the quad. chech them out at jdperformance.net . they also offer a rec series arm for cheaper.

CJM
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Cant be beat for the price and they are very good quality arms that use sealed ball joints

tayyo789
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Can I get +3's without LT? I'm not sure if I've seen any that still have standard travel.

alanauclair
02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
yes they make +3 that are standard travel. Both the stated companies have them on their sites.

tayyo789
02-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Ya, I looked at a bunch today. I would really like some Houser's, but I think they need LT. Right now, unless I find some better deals, I'm looking at Burgard's and JD

ds19
02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
If you ride dunes and all ready have full flights I would buy a set of shocks that would make a world of difference to you quad.

fearlessfred
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I have been riding the sand dunes for 25 years and have all ways liked a quad that was 50 inchs wide (50 inchs in the front was not even an opition in the beginning ) and i beleive it should be setup for mx. so if you never resprung the shocks you have for the longer arms ,youare going to have more body roll,because if you have longer arms with the lower shock mount in the same position, u have increased the leverage on the springs and will have more body roll.If you add 1 more inch to each side than you have inceased the problem. In the sand the tires are digging in and can give the feeling that you are leaning a lot anyway,so adding more body roll to that is not good.increasing compression dampining does not fix this problem and is not the answer. when respringing the bike, you may need to revalve the shocks because you need more rebound to control the stiffer springs. I know that this all sounds like a load of crap,but when you change on thing you have an effect on another and the whole thing should be looked at as a package. As far as long travel goes i dont think anybody that has ever owned and rode a properly setup lt would ever go back to standard arms.i know i woudnt.you should concider buying quality cromoly teflon lined rodends ( balljoints) for the arms you have now and those do not get greased. Greasing anything in the sand makes it a grinding compound and i do not do it.my chains just get wd 40 and are allowed to dry before riding. these are just my opinions and take them for what they are worth and good luck with whatever you do. fred

tayyo789
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
The reason I don't want to buy new shocks is that I just bought Elka's all around a year and a half ago. They are set up perfect for me right now, and they would be adjusted again with the new arms, since I already have to do it to the rear when I get my +8 swinger soon. I know about the lubing process for sand, I've been doing it for almost 15 years.

fearlessfred
02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
sorry,if i offended you with anything said.didnt know what you had for shocks or your experance in the sand dunes.teflon lined rodends are an option over the one you have to grease. i have seen plenty of people try to use stock springs with 2 over a arms,and that is a big mistake,sounds like you did it correctly

tayyo789
02-12-2011, 03:09 AM
I should have clarified in my earlier posts, don't worry about it. These are just big investments, I want to get the right stuff when I'm paying this kind of money.

ridgeracer
02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Subscribed. :cool:

Lquad71
02-13-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.houser-racing.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Honda%3ATRX450R+%28200 4-05%29%3AA-Arms+%28Regular+and+Long+Travel%29:Wide+%2B2.25+%2 8Motocross%29

Houser only has one option with long travel shocks: The long travel pro series

All the other arms they have come with the slicast feature which is nice. The top two arms in the link are both +2 inches wide and one comes with needle bearings, and the other comes with bushings.

They also have the pro series regular travel which has needle bearings but is a little wider than the others.

Each a arm choice has a larger tube diameter with a thinner wall which makes it lighter and stronger. The upper a arm is small diameter, because it doesnt take nearly as much of the force as the lower arm does

Houser makes phenomenal products. I would recomend them to anyone.:D

tayyo789
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
If I knew of a Houser +3 standard travel setup, I would be on it in a second

Lquad71
02-14-2011, 11:04 PM
why would you be so hooked on +3?
as opposed to +2.25?

tayyo789
02-15-2011, 01:14 AM
I have +2's, and would like to go wider. With no real width requirements, I might as well go +3. If I'm spending that kind of money, I would rather not only go up half an inch and end up wanting more.