PDA

View Full Version : 400ex using to much oil

mad4106
02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I have been having this problem for awhile. I have to add oil after every ride and before i ride the oil level is good and then after a long day of riding the oil level is low low! Is this normal?!

Colby@C&DRacing
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
you might need to freshen up the topend does the atv smell like burnt oil or does it smoke when you are riding it?

AtvKid4Eva
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
make sure your checking the oil right. let the bike warm up and then shut it off to check the oil. you could be getting a false reading if you just check the oil without letting the bike warm up. If it is smoking and smells like burning oil then you need to freshen the top end like stated above.

mad4106
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
yea it does smoke while riding but i think it was doing this too when i had changed the topend a couple of months! I am also using pennzoil 10w40 car motor oil which i think doesnt afftect anything!

CJM
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
please do not use car motor oil just cause its the right weight. If it says anything about energy conserving on the back of the jug it has to many detergents and cannot be run in a wet clutch system like the EX has. the only oils oyu can use must not have that energy conserving tag on them.

If its smoking when running your topend is no good.

Sure way to check it is to open it up and measure.

The oil has to be going somewhere, burning probably.

cheater13
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I sense a topend rebuild! Yeah I always have to add oil in mine after every ride and I found our it needed a topend rebuild. Mine smokes pretty bad and use the recommended Honda oil.

VTredneckgames
02-09-2011, 05:10 AM
It may not need a full top end rebuild as some people are saying.

When you rebuilt the motor the last time, did you put new valve seals in it? Before I had my head reworked, mine would burn 1 qt over 60 miles. Completely from the seals.

2001400exrida
02-09-2011, 06:38 AM
you can run car motor oil it's just fine. CJM was referring to the energy conserving stuff so, your penzoil is just fine.

i run rotella T and it's designed for cars and trucks not atv's and it works just fine.

If you quad is smoking all the time when you ride it then you need new rings. If it only smokes when it's cold or during startup then it's probably the valve seals.

it sounds to me like you're due for a new top end....prolly piston and rings.

rubbersdown
02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
you can run car motor oil it's just fine. CJM was referring to the energy conserving stuff so, your penzoil is just fine.

i run rotella T and it's designed for cars and trucks not atv's and it works just fine.

If you quad is smoking all the time when you ride it then you need new rings. If it only smokes when it's cold or during startup then it's probably the valve seals.

it sounds to me like you're due for a new top end....prolly piston and rings.

Agreed, TECHNICALLY any oil will work fine as long as it has NO friction modifiers AT ALL, especially molybdenum. Thing is, 99% of car motor oil has them, and the choice you made with the pennzoil is one of the worst as the conventional pennzoil is 20-30% ADDITIVES and not oil! It has tons of molybdenum and boron which is VERY BAD FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION. Car clutches and transmissions are not oiled by the motor oil so it doesnt matter if you use oil with molly in it, but on most atvs and bikes the oil for the motor, tranny and clutch is all one and the molly and other additives coats the clutch and transmission and prevents friction which is not good sense you want as much friction as possible on your clutch plates and gear contacts. Eventually your gears and clutch will start slipping because of this. On the topic of the smoking, the oil is probably not the cause of the smoking, sounds like you just need a new top end. But you should def use a different oil next time you do an oil change! If you like to use a car oil use the Rotella T as 2001400exrida said. That is a good oil at a cheap price and has no friction additives.

VTredneckgames
02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
seals will also cause it to smoke at WOT. Not after, but during.

If it smokes when you let off, its the rings.

mad4106
02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
where can we buy this rotella t oil at cause i checked on advanced auto parts and auto zone website and they dont have 10w40?!

CJM
02-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Walmart.

Change the oil, add approx 1.5 quarts and start the quad, let idle for a good 10 mins and then add a 1/2 a qt. Let run again for 10 mins and shut down and check oil.

Thats the proper way to check it, might be why you keep thinking your losing oil-might be checking it wrong. If you check it before its warmed up you get a bad reading.

mad4106
02-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks cjm!

CJM
02-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Welcome.

if it continues to smoke ALOT and doesnt go away while riding and warmed up you need rings and should have the cylinder checked for out spec.

if it just smokes when you start it and goes away after awhile you need valve seals.