PDA

View Full Version : bolt kits

sameltoe
02-07-2011, 09:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-QUAD-220PC-BOLT-KIT-TRX250R-FOURTRAX-TRX-250R-ATC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adeaf05aaQQitemZ39028 3068842QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100
Has anybody here used these kits?
Or are you guys mainly using the ss/allen head ones?

Thanks, Sam

sameltoe
02-07-2011, 09:29 PM
hmmm don't think my linky worked. Either way I'm looking at the 220pc specbolt kits and looking for thoughts....

250Renvy
02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I have both.

The specbolt kit does not come with any major bolts like shocks, a-arms, motor etc. It's basically a bunch of small bolts, a ton of washers and nuts and pins and filler.

The allen ss bolts are Junk imo, unless you are in the sand. They are soft and all the nuts are nylock, not flange nuts.

sameltoe
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Thank you sir...Thats what I kind of thought about the ss ones.
I beleive for the most part ss has a "hardness" of a grade 5 bolt.
Just wasn't sure on the specbolt "kit"

Sooo I'm thinking specbolt and oem for the majors...

trx250racer
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
[i]

The allen ss bolts are Junk imo, unless you are in the sand. They are soft and all the nuts are nylock, not flange nuts. [/B]

I AGREE!!! I HAVE USED THE SS ALLEN BOLT KIT THAT "ALLOY BOLTZ" ON EBAY SELLS. AND IT IS ABSOLUTLY JUNK. DISPOSABLE BOLTS.... ONE TIME USE... IF YOU WOULD. $135 DOWN THE DRAIN!!! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DISSAPOINTED WITH ANYTHING I HAVE EVER BOUGHT FOR MY R's!!!

THE THREADS ARE SO SOFT, I CROSS THREADED BOLTS THE FIRST TIME I INSTALLED THEM.. BE IT I USE AN AIR RATCHET, BUT COME ON!!! WENT TO REMOVE THE P.O.S KIT. AND CROSS THREAD 5 OR 6 MORE... HAD TO CUT THEM WITH A CUTTING WHEEL!!!

NOTHING LIKE OEM BOLTS... I WILL HAVE A FEW SETS ZINC PLATED FOR MY BUILDS!!!

troybilt
02-08-2011, 07:11 AM
What would one pay for grade 8.8 zinc bolt kit for the 250r? I could spec that out... just curious... some of the Honda bolts though are specific lengths, that are hard to find... so i hear..

250Renvy
02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
You're looking at $150 + easy for a 8.8 to 10 grade flange bolt kit.

Specbolt has some other larger bolts, it's just that the kit they sell on ebay doesn't have any of the larger ones.

Also fwiw, suzuki ltz400 bolts are the closest oem for a-arms. I think that's around $40 just for those.

troybilt
02-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
You're looking at $150 + easy for a 8.8 to 10 grade flange bolt kit.

Specbolt has some other larger bolts, it's just that the kit they sell on ebay doesn't have any of the larger ones.

Also fwiw, suzuki ltz400 bolts are the closest oem for a-arms. I think that's around $40 just for those.

When you buy bulk its much cheaper... I can get the bolts for the aarms for about 10 bucks or less in quantities of 10-20, etc... so I'd have to spec out several kits to make my money back. That's why I asked. There is nothing special about the "quality" of the Honda bolts.

Pumashine
02-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by sameltoe
Thank you sir...Thats what I kind of thought about the ss ones.
I beleive for the most part ss has a "hardness" of a grade 5 bolt.
Just wasn't sure on the specbolt "kit"

Sooo I'm thinking specbolt and oem for the majors...

You are right about the hardness. I only use the ss allen heads for the clutch and ignition cover. Have never had an issue with them. The bolt threads are stronger than the aluminum you are threading to.

Go OEM where strength is a concern. All center case , motor mounts and frame bolts.

Now that I have lots of case bolts I am going to get a few sets to the zinc plater.

troybilt
02-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Tony as much polishing as you do, have you ever thought about getting a vibratory tumble polisher for all the bolts and misc stuff? That would be cheaper and faster than hand polishing those bolt heads. I looked into getting a small one for the small amount that I would need it for and total was looking at 100 bucks or so. ...just a thought...

I also thought you can buy do it yourself zinc kits too...

troybilt
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
If you decide to plate your own stuff i've got a crap load of bolts I could send you too... :D

Here's the link, zinc-dichromate and tri-chromate.. (Think Erin Brockovich...)
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm

Couple of other options:
yellow chromate is another option, that's what our hydraulic fittings are... looks and works good
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm

Here's a cool anodizing kit:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/aluminum.htm

sameltoe
02-09-2011, 09:32 PM
So whats everybody doing for the greaseable shock/link bolts?
I Don't just want to use a "standard"style bolt....

sameltoe
02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
If somebody has some in good shape I would take'em and the motor bolts...
Sam

jcs003
02-10-2011, 02:21 AM
on ebay now "spec bolt" has a set of high strength flange a arm bolts. they might have others. i believe they have a guarantee on them.

Grande Huevos
02-10-2011, 07:13 AM
not sure if its the same kit u guys r talking about but i bought one for my 87 310 and it was all ss allen heads and i never had any issues w them and i ride the sh*t out my quad. its been to the dunes multiple times various atv parks around ks the mx track and so on and have never broke or lost stripped any of them. when i did put some blue loc tight on alot of them when i installed but i was very happy w the kit and it really looks sharp!!!!!!!! just my opinion

MANIAK 88R
02-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I had really good luck with the SS allen kit from fastnerguy on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-TRX-250R-TRX250R-617pc-STAINLESS-BOLT-KIT-ATV-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563ef00c81QQitemZ37042 3106689QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I doubt that the above link will work but that is the address of the TRX bolt kit he offers. All his kits come labelled as to which bolts go where. I didn't have any issues of soft bolts. On the larger bolts I tightened the living $@%t out of them and they didn't break or strip.

MANIAK 88R
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
If you search for (TRX250R 617pc), the auction pops right up. This guys kits are top notch. I ride in the sand but I beat the hell out of my bikes and I haven't had a problem with any of these bolts. I used them on my Moms bike and they really looked great.

rsss396
02-12-2011, 07:55 AM
If you run anti- seize on your stainless threads they are much less prone to galling and stripping.

Vibratory machines will do a excellent job of smoothing the surface of the bolt and unfortantly the treads also.
But they will not shine as well as a bolt that has directional polishing, a rough surface that has directional polishing done on a wheel will always outshine something straight out of a vibratory machine.

jcs003
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
you can also use 400ex hardware. it has the clear zinc finish and are usually inexpensive. i got 4 peg bolts and a-arm bolts from east coast atv for like $30 shipped.

sameltoe
02-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I emailed specbolt for more of a "complete" kit. Even if I have to buy several kits. I like the look of oem flange-style bolts.

The only thing I ever used ss allen bolts on, are on the carb bowl.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Keep the comments/options coming...

rsss396
02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
when I built my drag bike I bought all my titanium pieces from these guys.
probably about 750 for everything

they will do custom sizes also, helps to do 1 big order for custom pricing.

http://www.ironhorseinc.com/IHP/Titanium.html