PDA

View Full Version : bought 250r roller for build

motoman011
02-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Purchased this the other day for a total of $400, not sure if it's a good deal but I owned 4 back in the day, one with a lagers chassis and have decided to get off the 4 stroke wagon. Haven't got a chance to get too far into it until this week but here is what I know and do know for sure

Frame is strait, no cracks or repairs can be seen

has Works shocks all the way around

has aftermarket swinger and axle and arms

nerf bars are good but nets are gone, anyone know where I can get nets?

front bumper and grab bar are AC and good

air box, complete brakes (work good) and most of the wiring is there

not sure what year it is yet, I believe 86 or 87. I have a full set of new fenders and can put together the chassis completely minus the motor and carb. Any ideas if it's worth looking for a motor, or if one can be found for a decent price? It's being torn down' blasted and put together slowly.

TLR-Online
02-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Wow! Nice score, it would have been a good deal with stock shocks, let alone aftermarket shocks...

motoman011
02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I thought so, but how hard is a good motor to find, or can I stuff something else in it and make it work. I've been out of the quad thing for 15 plus years. My son looks at a picture of him on my 89 race bike and has always wanted to duplicate it, I could have bought a running bike but a ground up build I feel will create something to remember. It's off to powder coat this week.

sameltoe
02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
was this in Iowa by chance?
Nice find for sure!

motoman011
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Actually in Michigan, it was sitting under an over hang to a pole barn and we stopped, chance I guess.

motoman011
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I know enough people and have enough left over parts to finish the chassis completely without a ton of cost, finding a motor is gonna be expensive I believe, most of this project is coming out of his pocket unless I sell one of the 5 quads I own, which I'd rather not, but my son is interested in the past and this is where it all started with me

89trx250r
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
hey dude nice find. I dont think a motor will be too hard to find depends what you wanna spend and what size etc keep your eye on the 250r classified section here a lot of good deals tend to pop up for all kinds of parts and ive seen a very few nice motors for good prices. as far as nerf bar nets you can get them anywhere i know on the ac racing website they sell about 10 different colors and a few sizes/patterns anyway good luck im glad to see another 250r being brought back to life :)