PDA

View Full Version : KX250 top end rebuild?

trailrider894
02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey guys, i've got an '01 KX250. Here is my question. They top end went out in it and i wanna know what my options are as far as the scared cylinder walls? Re-sleeve? Bore? If bore what are the increments you can bore to?

HondaPohl
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
When I had Kawasaki 2-strokes, they could not be bored. Dont know it was changed. Its been a while. However you should be able to have it nickelsilled or resleeved.

trailrider894
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
When I had Kawasaki 2-strokes, they could not be bored. Dont know it was changed. Its been a while. However you should be able to have it nickelsilled or resleeved.

You know how much that would cost?

ZeroLogic
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Check out Eric Gorr. Heard nothing but great things about his work!:macho

Brauap
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I've had several modern 2 strokers done.. you're looking at around $200 +/- $30-40 depending on who you have do it. If it were me, I'd simply get it re-sleeved because in the future if it were to ever get scored again, you can simply bore it. But with the nikicil it can't be bored and you'll have to get it re-sealed. To each their own though..

trailrider894
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I've had several modern 2 strokers done.. you're looking at around $200 +/- $30-40 depending on who you have do it. If it were me, I'd simply get it re-sleeved because in the future if it were to ever get scored again, you can simply bore it. But with the nikicil it can't be bored and you'll have to get it re-sealed. To each their own though..

Well i looked at eric gorr's website and it looks like he says you can hone it??? The cylinder isn't bad that i can see,just a little rough.

Brauap
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, you can have it LIGHTLY honed or you if it is very light you can try to get out the scuffs with a scotch bright pad (green or brown) - steel wool doesn't work.

buck440
02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
yep i would have it honed first and if that didn't work i personally have it re nicklesilled. less friction, gets rid of heat better, lighter but with a sleeve you can bore it if it blows but with good maintenance and parts it shouldn't happen.