PDA

View Full Version : Need new truck with a winch

derekhonda
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, I just had a real nice message typed out, fn internet explorer.

Short and sweet now: Need a new truck to pull out stuck semis. half ton isn't cutting it, but was thinking about putting a winch on it instead of the old chain on the hitch.

How big of winches are they making these days, and how much for purchase/install?

CJM
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
A good winch thats good enough to pull out semis??? Warn comes to mind or ramsey, 12000lbs probably do ya. Your talking about a grand for a good one and probably 500 for a good bumper or between 250-350 for a receiver mount done right.

You need a heavier truck in reality, 3/4 ton should do it. A winch on a smaller truck if not mounted right will rip stuff up but good.

When I used to run a wrecker we had hydraulic warn winches, had 2 of them each rated to abut 16000lbs. Key was I didnt need the winches usually as the truck was heavy enough to pull whatever I needed out-but it was an F550 diesel dually with a stick and a granny 1st gear.

derekhonda
02-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah I had all that stated in my other message before internet explorer decided to stall out.

I am looking for a 3/4 or full 1 ton, hopefully diesel, gonna try and talk the boss into going all of it or atleast most of it.

Chain has been workin good until today, all in all got 16 out of 17 trucks unstuck last week and today.

Just been thinkin a winch would be the way to go on a new truck, sick of tearing up my truck!

CJM
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Biggest winch you can find and the larger the truck the better then.

fastredrider44
02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Main thing on the winch is proper mounting. Otherwise you will do more harm than good. We have a winch on the farm truck, and often pull up to a tree to rest against. A winch will drag a truck even parked on pavement. Warn gets my vote, but Ramsey's are good too.

bbender85
02-08-2011, 12:37 PM
dodge power wagon. :D