PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Wire/Coil Help

sheweezy
02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I haven't messed with it yet, but does anyone know if you can change out the spark plug wire without changing the coil or if it is made with the coil on a 99 400ex. If you can not remove just the wire how beneficial would an upgraded coil be or would it just be a useless mod...

trailrider894
02-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by sheweezy
I haven't messed with it yet, but does anyone know if you can change out the spark plug wire without changing the coil or if it is made with the coil on a 99 400ex. If you can not remove just the wire how beneficial would an upgraded coil be or would it just be a useless mod...

It is wired directly into the coil. You won't get your money out of a different system than the stock one. The HP gain will never be noticeable.

togup
02-08-2011, 07:20 AM
My wire on my 02 unscrewed from the coil it had some type of shrink tubing around the coil / wire connection . I replaced mine with a Super Spark automotive wire but the spark plug end on the factory wire has a step down insulator of sorts inline(small ceramic cllinder)anyway I threw that in the garbage cause I want all the spark I can get ,OH YEA!
I do not endorse this action in any way just tellin ya what I did.(small print disclosure)
By the way 2 accelerator pumps and 2 turns of the rotating assymbly starts my 460 stroker every time no choke no joke!

sheweezy
02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
thanks, man i noticed that today when playing with it, haven't decided whether to just get a new coil and wire or just replace the wire, im sure its the original coil so something newer couldn't hurt