PDA

View Full Version : 80's evinrude 35hp help

JOHNDOE83
02-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a late 80's evinrude outboard, recently Ive had some issues with it and today it quit on me and I had to trolling motor back to the dock almost 3 miles.

Yesterday I took the boat out all day with no issues, then today a friend and I went out fishin, made it to the fishin spot, fished around then tryd to leave and go to another spot. Thats when we found out the battery was dead and I had left the fishfinder on, so we tryd to use the trolling motor battery and the motor would start then die repeatedly.

It has gas, and has spark, ran fine yesterday......anyways.

Is there a website were I can download a manual or get a free online manual.

Any good places to order cheap parts?

woodsman250r
02-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Where do you get your gas from? How long has it sat with that gas in it? I work at a Marina in the service department and majority of issues like the one you are having are fuel related.

JOHNDOE83
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I had gas'd it up the day before, it ran fine all that day.

The next day a friend and I went out again, made it to the same fishin spot, ran better then ever on the way there, cut the motor off to fish....etc.

I know it must be fuel or fouled plugs, something of that nature.

I wanna try to order some parts if you know of any good websites that sell new motor parts or any websites that I can download a manual from.

Pappy
02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Is the tank vent open?

Ive seen that many times, and ive also seen the pick up tube fall inside the tank (we paddled for what seemed like forever, felt stupid when we figured BOTH of the mentioned things out LOL!)

woodsman250r
02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Try this, completely drain out your fuel tank and flush it out. Or if it is a metal tank, get rid of it and get a new plastic one. Check out your fuel line, primer bulb and connectors to see if there are any cracks, leaks or if it is dry rotted. I would just put on a new one if it is older than 3-4 years. Get a carb repair kit, part number 396701 and install it. Also put in new spark plugs. If you are still having the problem I would look towards the power pack or something electrical. Also, NEVER run gas from any gas station without adding a high quality fuel conditioner for ethenol such as Sta-bil (blue formula) or the Johnson 2+4 conditioner. I can't begin to tell you how many issues I see due to customers using regular gas.

JOHNDOE83
02-12-2011, 06:28 AM
I will deffinetly try that.