PDA

View Full Version : Got another quad

TCracin440ex
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
well since i sold my 06 450r i been in the market for another quad. with money being tight i kept looking on craigslist for a quad in my price range. well i stumbled across a 2004 honda rancher 400 A/t gpscape. i got it for 500 the only issue is its not running the guy told me that it quit running and he has all the service records from his local honda shop.

anyways the crank and everything turns over freely and the motor oil in the quad is golden brown like its fresh. me and my dad seem to believe there is something minor wrong with the engine the only other problem with it is that the seat was ripped and torn thats minor. it could also use a good bath. but other then that i believe after i fix it that it will be a good running long lasting quad

here are the pics of my diamond in the rough

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/DSCN0731.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/DSCN0732.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/DSCN0733.jpg

CJM
02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Cant be beat for that price :)

Quad18star
02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the utility world ... it all down hill from here on out . LOL joke.

Looks like a good deal.

TCracin440ex
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Cant be beat for that price :)

nope sure cant and i can always part it out and get more then my money back. like i said it aint locked up because when i pull the rope the engine turns over freely. the oil in it looks fresh as well.

CJM
02-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Probably something stupid like not getting fuel or spark.

TCracin440ex
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
it aint the carb or anything like that. he said it started smoking then knocking real loud then quit. we know it aint locked up because like i said the motor turns over freely without any problem at all. the oil in it was golden brown like fresh oil and didnt smell burnt or anything.

i wont know exactly what is wrong with it til we tear it down. im going to take the valve adjustment plugs out and pull on the rope to see if i can see the valves moving

HondaRacing83
02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
ewwww a 4x4!haha either way have fun with iti never saw the appeal to having one.i do like ripping around on my dads grizzly and goin through deep stuff.its fun.but theres nothin like flyin through the woods on my 400 :) you cant jump 4x4's either.

chucked
02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Make sure you do a compression test first, kinda sounds like a broken ring.

TCracin440ex
02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
well on my first suspicion me and my dad both thought the teeth had been wiped off the cam gear. so i took her down to the vavle cover. i took all that off and pulled on the rope the pushrods and all are lifting. i did notice it doesnt have a spark plug in it. but i believe the valves are out of spec. im going to check the valve clearances and then throw some juice to her and see if she will start. im really going to LMAO if i just bought a 3000 dollar quad for 500 bucks and all it needed was a valve adjustment.

the only other thing that i noticed that concerned me and it could be from sitting so long is there was no oil sitting in the valve area but like i said it could be from sitting so long.