PDA

View Full Version : Time for new clutch lever...

426kidz
02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, I am now in the market for a new clutch lever...that being said what are you guys running and what is liked the best by everyone. I want too buy a good one and be done with it for awhile so price is not a great concern. let me know whats good! thanks.

kevin:D

Honda#4
02-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally I bought a MSR AOF clutch perch but the knob took a crap so I bought a SRP one and so far its been holding up great.

jcs003
02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
ASV

CJM
02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Had an MSR raptor that literally broke where the adjuster is on the handle itself (it has 3 places for the cable to go into). I now have an MSR aof and been super happy. Brake lever bent 2x and the AOF is still good.

slightlybent47
02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
ASV

x2

NacsMXer
02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I had a 909 AOF perch before but the brass bushing at the pivot was worn causing a notchy feel when you pulled the lever.

I recently switched to a Works Connection Elite perch, and just by switching levers the pull is like butter smooth. It has 3 ball bearings in the pivot area that allow such smooth action. There's also zero up/down slop in the lever, I had a ton before with the 909. Overall awesome build quality as well. This is one of the best clutch levers money can buy IMO. I got it a little cheaper on Ebay for $120 I believe.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1070/dsc0854v.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/dsc0854v.jpg/)

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/800/dsc0855x.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/i/dsc0855x.jpg/)

426kidz
02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm likeing the works one above...but about the same as the asv...i wonder what quality is best anyone else have the works? Also any problems with the hydraulic,whats the pros and cons of the hydraulic clutch?

NacsMXer
02-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I had a Magura hydraulic clutch before this. It was awesome for it's smooth pull but it was always in the middle of being adjusted correctly. I couldn't get enough pull out of the slave cylinder to get the clutch to fully disengage. It was either over adjust it so that it would fully disengage when you pulled the lever in (but then have it slip the clutch a bit when not pulled) or have it not disengage the clutch when pulled (at the benefit of not slipping the clutch when not pulled). A few others on here with that setup have had the same issue. Not sure if Magura has fixed this problem since.

So basically I ended up with my tail between my legs going back to a cable clutch. I got a longer custom cable made by Motion Pro and joined it with the WC perch and the pull is now as good as the hydraulic was. But at least now I can have the clutch adjusted like it should be.

The ASV perches are nice as well, I run an ASV front brake lever myself. Just be aware that the ASV levers have a slightly different shape and feel. They have more of a flat and tall surface where your fingers grab the lever. I liked the more traditional thin and slightly rounded lever that my 909 perch had so I went with the WC perch for a similar feel. If you have larger hands you may like the ASV levers better but it's all preference.

honda400ex2003
02-06-2011, 06:36 PM
x4 on the asv, i love my pro perch. easy adjustment on the fly and a nice lever to hold onto even if it gets dirty. it is big enough to get grip on all the time.

the magura works great with a stock clutch but if you put an aftermarket in it, it will probably cause problems. i loved mine when i had it but i switched clutches and it was never right after that. then while messing with it trying to get it working correct with the new setup i hit the lever accidently and blew the seal in the end of the slave cylinder. im sure i could have got it working better once the plates were fully wore in and such but it just never seemed to pull far enough with the aftermarket springs in there to get it to release all the way.

steve

426kidz
02-06-2011, 06:44 PM
ok, I have heard the same about the hydro clutch so ill prob stay away from them, I do have huge hands but for some reason im loveing the works, but my main concern was the durability of the threads in the adjuster screw, mine stripped out and is just a mess now. Any probs with the works stripping out or anything related?

NacsMXer
02-06-2011, 09:10 PM
The adjuster like the rest of the unit seems to be very well made. Not like the pot metal some cheaper perches use. It operates smoothly and has well defined clicks. Keep it cleaned and lubed and I doubt it will give you any problems.

426kidz
02-06-2011, 10:33 PM
awesome, I think works will be my purchase. thanks alot and if any oher suggestions will be awesome. thanks