PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile motor in a quad.

wannaride4
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I enjoy hearing and reading about all the hybrids.

I have seen a couple hillclimb bikes that were powed by 800 cc snowmobile motors, so I wonder why no one has put one in a quad. There has to be more room in a quad frame then a bike frame.

There is a ton of money spent to do the 650 builds or turboing 700 raptors, why not use the 800 cc rotax with ~145 hp or more in stock reliable form?

Jonny B
02-06-2011, 02:26 PM
This post got me remembering a time a few years ago at Bull Gap in Mi. There was a custom banshee that had a triple snowmobile engine in it. He basically took a plate and mounted it in the chassis and attached the snowmobile crankcases onto the plate. This is the cool part...He took some banshee engine cases and cut the off the front crankcase, then mounted the tranny behind the engine on the plate. Then, he used a primary gear attacked to the crank to turn the clutch primary gear of the tranny. Basically he ended up with a snowmobile engine with the banshee 6 speed. He only shifted twice to get up the hill and was the fastest machine I even saw there...pretty cool.

wannaride4
02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes that sounds cool, would love to see some pics of that. Hope others have heard of or seen or even thought of this same build.