PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a new xd9!

fasterblaster09
02-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Well I finally bought me a handgun last week, which was a bersa thunder .380. I just had to try it after seeing all the GREAT reviews on it. Then I ran out of the ammo that the guy gave with it, and seen how much it was for the .380. So I decided to go for a 9mm. Sold the bersa and today im picking up a brand new xd9 service model with the 4" barrel for $435. Its only a week old. The guy bought it for $479 plus tax last saturday, and his wife rathers his p99 so the xd had to go. anyone have any experience on these. It was between this or the glock 17 that was 450, with nothing but a couple magazines with thousands of rounds through it. If I don't like it ill sell it next week and try out a glock. just thought id share, im bored/excited waiting until 10am to leave and go get it :o

TheLane
02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
The Springfields are good, im not a big fan of the double safety with the trigger and grip having to be fully compresed. I used to do IPSIC and found that for fast draw and aim that secondary safety on the grip got in the way from time to time....will your avarage handgun enthusiast notice the difference...probably not but that is my ONLY complaint about the gun.

No matter what you cant go wrong with a glock. they have an unconditional lifetime warranty, so even if thousands of rounds have been fired through it, if something breaks they fix it for free. (or if you can do the repair yourself they just send you the parts).

So i only have a small complaint about the XD series and no complaints about glock. Both are great weapons. (id go with a 40 cal. if i was you though :), a 9mm will just piss someone off :P)

I recently got the glock 23 for my conceal weapon and love it. Compact 40 cal. ported with night sights (even though night sights are useless after the first shot):rolleyes:

CJM
02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I much prefer the glock, more reliable in sustained fire and overall.

fasterblaster09
02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Decided against it. Its probably between a m&p9 (brand new never shot) for a flat $450 from someone local. Or, the glock mentioned earlier, with two 17 rd mags and two 33 rd mags. decisions, decisions...

honda400ex2003
02-06-2011, 09:23 AM
i would buy an xd over a glock any day. I almost bought one not long ago actually. lol looks like a great composite gun and I have heard alot of good things from xd. I feel that the glock is just not smooth enough to shoot consistently alot without alot of practice. I can shoot my 92fs 9mm and hit a shot gun shell at 15 yards 9/10 times, with my buddies 40 cal glock, he is lucky to hit it 5 or 6 times and he shoots just as often as i do.

I like my 9mm alot better for the price of ammo also! it is alot cheaper to shoot 200 rounds of 9 compared to a 40 or 45. although, i got an xd i think it would be a 40. the extra fire power is nice if needed when carrying. I mainly carry my 9mm if i need to though.

just my .02 though on all 3. I will probably be finding a service xd sometime in the near future if i decide not to get an ipad and decide what parts i get for the summer. After holding the service one, i feel that the grip is much nicer on it compared to the regular stock. I run a hogue grip on fs though which is really a nice grip.

Any of you guys run a crimson trace? Im not sure if they are worth the money for just general shooting or not?

steve

steve

fasterblaster09
02-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Well im new to the whole handgun scene. The reason I chose a 9mm is because ammo prices, I seem to really enjoy shooting. Not going to be carrying, at least not right now. I plan on getting something else within a couple months. This is just a right now gun to shoot the $hit you know. With a limit of $450. Maybe I could toss a coin?

fasterblaster09
02-06-2011, 09:48 AM
WTS/WTT Sig Sauer P226 9MM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sig Sauer P226 9MM Semi-auto Pistol. Double or single action. 1 15 round magazine. Bright, sharp bore. Unknown round count. Nice condition with minor nicks and blue wear. $450 or trade. Not looking for anything specific in trade. Face to face in the Lafayette area please.

These seem to sell for a goooooood bit. Don't look bad from the pictures. any opinions?

honda400ex2003
02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Well im new to the whole handgun scene. The reason I chose a 9mm is because ammo prices, I seem to really enjoy shooting. Not going to be carrying, at least not right now. I plan on getting something else within a couple months. This is just a right now gun to shoot the $hit you know. With a limit of $450. Maybe I could toss a coin?

lol thats what i use mine for 99% of the time. The only time i carry is when i am fourwheeling in the U.P. by myself. i have only done that twice though carrying wise. lol i agree with the 9mm bullet prices. they are alot cheaper to do just what you want. steve

dgmiller
02-06-2011, 10:52 AM
i liked my bersa thunder as well good little gun. also sig has a newer .380 out that looks preatty cool i check into it. again you cant beat a glock for the price.

ridgeracer
02-06-2011, 11:08 AM
IMO 9mm is the best caliber to buy for the average user. The whole "takedown" power of a .40 or .45 is bogus. A 9mm will take someone down just as well as a .45 if you know how to shoot it. A 9mm can hold more ammo in a clip anyways. And if you are gonna practice shooting (no brainer) then the 9mm ammo is much cheaper.

CJM
02-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ridgeracer
IMO 9mm is the best caliber to buy for the average user. The whole "takedown" power of a .40 or .45 is bogus. A 9mm will take someone down just as well as a .45 if you know how to shoot it. A 9mm can hold more ammo in a clip anyways. And if you are gonna practice shooting (no brainer) then the 9mm ammo is much cheaper.

Handguns like the glock, XD, etc DO NOT USE CLIPS. A clip is what a rifle such as an M1 Garand uses. These pistols use Magazines...

Now that its been said...

Its all in how you use the gun, I prefer glock you just need to get used to it. Course if you have enough expierance shooting you can pick most any decent weapon up and hit what you aim at.

As for power of the calibers, believe what you want-but the .45ACP packs 230 grains vs much less of the 9mm and .40. They all do good damage-but believe what ya wish. Larger the caliber-larger the wound channel it creates. I want the hardest hitting caliber I can handle and I make it count.

But like I said before, opinions are like a-holes-everyones got one.

HondaPohl
02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I could shoot the balls off a fly with my Glock 23 40 cal. I love that piece.

ben300
02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CJM
As for power of the calibers, believe what you want-but the .45ACP packs 230 grains vs much less of the 9mm and .40. They all do good damage-but believe what ya wish. Larger the caliber-larger the wound channel it creates. I want the hardest hitting caliber I can handle and I make it count.

whole heartedly agree 100%

fasterblaster09
02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Does that mean that a .45 is the only caliber you would ever own? Its obvious about the bigger caliber is more stopping power. But it was mentioned that the 9mm ammo is cheap(er), hence the possibility to practice more (well for me at least). And is enough to stop someone, of course shot placement is everything, thats why I need to practice. And I just want to shoot everyday, I enjoy it.

:p

And it is very ignorant to think glock is the only option. Unless you have owned every other brand and model, and had bad experiences with ALL except glock, it is just an assumption. I should be picking up the glock 17 tomorrow or tuesday. If I don't find it comfortable, I will try either the xd9 or the m&p9. Wont hurt to try them all out.

CJM
02-06-2011, 05:35 PM
There is a reason many I know rely on glocks, they might be ugly but they ALWAYS go bang so long as the ammos fine, cant be said for alot of other guns besides a good 1911. But, I base my experience on actual use of firing off hundreds of rounds in 1-2 days time taking fighting pistol courses, 3 gun competitions, and general shooting. The glock and good 1911s always went bang, the others did not. Ive tried quite a few others, my buddy personally taught for long time at tactical response and he uses a glock and is happy. might I add I DESPISE the AR15/M16/M4 design? It dont work where its dirty and needs to be cleaned, the AK's my friend champions NEVER EVER EVER EVER FAIL unless the ammos kaput. All of my ideas, and knowledge are based on real experiences but the many I knwo and my experiences. I want the gunt o LAST and always go bang, this cant be said for MANY fire arms. kinda like hi point or jensen lol..cheap for a reason But thats another story for another day.

But like I said, still my opinion, I dont have hard facts with reports, pictures, etc etc to back it up. I wont stop you from buying whatver you want-its your cash.

Anyways as for practicing, ammo cost, penetration, etc. You gotta pay to play. Yes 9mm will get the job done in most cases and it has capacity going for it over the other major calibers, I just prefer .45ACP.

Think of it like this if you will: a 160lb guy punches you in the arm, yea it hurts. Then take a 250lb guy and do the same thing, it hurts worse cause he has more mass behind in thus more force behind him when he hits you. Thus 9mm vs .45ACP and why I prefer one over the other. Course enough of either shot at you will take you down. I hunt deer, alot prefer .243, .270, 7mm mag, etc. I use a tried and ture .308 or 30-06 and have NEVER failed to not take one down with either.

Biggest suggestions I can offer: go to a gun range that rents and try it all out, heavily research everything before you buy. I dont buy a dang thing till Im dang sure it will work, wont have issues and will hold up.

fasterblaster09
02-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeh I know what your getting at. I really just want to get used to shooting and what not, and I think a 9mm would suit me just fine right now. As for the glock, the guy went up to $500 at the last minute. He can keep it. I will most likely pick up the new m&p9. Seems to have great reviews. Only lots of shooting will tell. I don't plan on owning just one gun, just want something to get good on first, before I worry about getting the big boys. I see there isn't a majority of people picking one name over the other, it seems that deciding between the three mentioned (glock,xd, and m&p), are all based on grip comfort. If I don't find it suits me, or reliable, Ill try out either the glock or xd.

TheLane
02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeh I know what your getting at. I really just want to get used to shooting and what not, and I think a 9mm would suit me just fine right now. As for the glock, the guy went up to $500 at the last minute. He can keep it. I will most likely pick up the new m&p9. Seems to have great reviews. Only lots of shooting will tell. I don't plan on owning just one gun, just want something to get good on first, before I worry about getting the big boys. I see there isn't a majority of people picking one name over the other, it seems that deciding between the three mentioned (glock,xd, and m&p), are all based on grip comfort. If I don't find it suits me, or reliable, Ill try out either the glock or xd.

I agree with the above, whomever thinks that a 9mm will stop someone just as well as a .45 has never tried to shoot under stress....being able to shoot a target and pick where you want the bullet to hit when you "know how to shoot" is a much very different scenario then when your under stress and in a life and death situation. Like i said, i have used a LOT of weapons in my life and used to shoot competition IPSIC. A 45 will stop something much quicker than a 9mm

Anyways, if your just looking for something cheap accurate and easy to use, get yourself a .22 competition pistol! you cant beat that price for ammo!

and i just picked up my most recent glock brand new in shop for 435.....so 500 for a used one is rediculous.

and i dont think glock is the best manufacturer out there, but i have owned both XD's and Glocks, and the glock outpreformed every time.

and if i had to pick my favorite handgun i own, i would pick my custom Kimber 1911 :D

fasterblaster09
02-07-2011, 06:28 AM
just curious how did it "outperform" it? What does outperform mean? And could you please send me a link to somewhere with a brand new glock for 435? Thanks

ben300
02-07-2011, 07:21 AM
just curious how did it "outperform" it? What does outperform mean? And could you please send me a link to somewhere with a brand new glock for 435? Thanks

exactly?

and $435 is out of the question depending on which model..

for .40 and .45, thats right around dealer cost...maybe slightly under