PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap that went high!

red88r
02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I can't believe what stock plastic is going for these days. I remember when I used to say $800 for a oem set was too much to pay back in the day. Wish I had a couple sets now. I guess if you can get that much more power to ya. I think it's out of line but that's just my opinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120675132258&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Rich250RRacer
02-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't even consider selling either of my two sets for that. Call me greedy, but I call it a nice start on a retirement fund.

red88r
02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I wouldn't even consider selling either of my two sets for that. Call me greedy, but I call it a nice start on a retirement fund.

I totally understand...if I had a set or two I would be hanging on to them until I restore one of mine someday.

DnB_racing
02-06-2011, 06:18 AM
that's crazy!!! I can see if the plastic was actually made in 88 but in reality its what maybe 5 years old?? its not like its even REALLY an antique just a new part that fit an old quad,

but I guess supply and demand!!

troybilt
02-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes, you could get the whites at least up until 2006. I know where there is some whites on the shelf still but not a whole lot cheaper than that, plus the shipping was over 200 bucks.

Its to the point that if you do have new in the box, you'd hate to even use it... cause the foreseen future value of it.

Honda will probably make another run of plastics... and then that would be funny..

jrspawn
02-06-2011, 08:30 AM
And people told me i was crazy when i was selling some of my complete sets brand new still in unopened oem boxes for 1000 a complete set........

Honda 250r 001
02-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by jrspawn
And people told me i was crazy when i was selling some of my complete sets brand new still in unopened oem boxes for 1000 a complete set........

You were crazy!!! Shouldnt have let them go for so cheap! haha

Rich250RRacer
02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by troybilt

Its to the point that if you do have new in the box, you'd hate to even use it... cause the foreseen future value of it.

Honda will probably make another run of plastics... and then that would be funny..

I can't see myself ever using the sets I have, I'd hate to destroy it. As for Honda making another run of plastic, I highly doubt that. As much as I love the 250R, I am logical about it's future. Some of the 250R diehards think that Honda actually cares about this quad and our loyalty to it. I bet it's the other way around. Continuing to support this quad by producing parts does nothing to promote sales of the 450R's which they put millions of developement dollars into. The faster they get 250R stuff off the market, the better it is for 450R unit and parts sales. If Honda did decide to make another run, it wouldn't bother me, I'd just buy more. Because of the excellent discount I get, I paid $550 a set when I bought this plastic three years ago, so it's not like I'd be losing money. I just think about all the sets I went through. When I raced GNCC on my Lonestars, I used to buy new OEM plastic for them almost ever year, and that was just to get replace the scratched up stuff. Since I doubt Honda has plans to ever produce it again, I think I'll hold out until I can pull $5000 a set. :D

DnB_racing
02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I think I'll hold out until I can pull $5000 a set. :D I really hope this day doesn't happen!!! because the 250 will only be in peoples collections. it will be in there bar in the cellar or under a glass top for your table.... to look at, when drinking with your old riding buddies talking about the good old days when you actually would ride the quad!!!

troybilt
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I somewhat disagree... its easy to think of Honda as a whole, but Product Support/part sales and R&D are 2 totally different sides of the business and both have their own goals of making money, and separate management, and neither one gives a rats spit about the other... that's how corporations work, I work for a fortune 500 company... if there is high demand for a discontinued part I could seem them releasing them again... I just don't think a collection of a 100 or so forum constituents equals high demand, and that's even probably a stretch... so ultimately I agree, that the demand will probably never be enough to release them...

....and the 250r parts hoaders need not worry your nest egg will still be there... haha...

troybilt
02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
...and I shouldn't be considered a die hard.... I just think the 250r forums, you can have a more mature conversation and there is some good dudes over here... but I still loved my 450r... I just like the nostalgia of Laeger bikes, more... :D

twopump78
02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
why is it that a after market company laker forebore mairer can't or don't make oem quality plastic? even if they charged more, there seems to be a market for it if someone is paying 500 to 2500 bucks. it would sell...

RyanWsly
02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Last time I checked Honda wasn't producing a 450r, it may possibly become like the 250r so they both may just be parts monsters for Honda. Honda has kept the tooling for the 250r for a reason. I agree with what Troy said mostly, other then the company he is talking about sold a large part of the tooling to make discontinued parts, which may also be a possibility with Honda. Troy that stuff from your company goes by the alias "Classic". original moldings and stuff, just not quite as good in quality and the trademarks have been removed. They still sell them through NACD, but they are not branded parts.

wild250rman
02-06-2011, 11:31 AM
when I started running 250"R"s back in 87 i was told by Honda dealers that i dealt with that when current inventory was used up of fenders when Honda would get orders for 100 or more sets that they would make a run of them to justify cost of production. that has seemed to hold true till today in 2006 i bought oem 1989 fenders and you could not get the 88 red only white mostly what everyone was running. then in 2008 you could get oem 88 red fenders which i also bought a few sets of. Now once again you cannot get any so hopefully if things hold true we maybe able to get sets in the near future if we could get enough people to put in requests for them to honda dealers. I would definetly pay the Honda price and not the over priced stuff people have laying around and one other thing did that person actually sell the fenders or not.

jrspawn
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
You were crazy!!! Shouldnt have let them go for so cheap! haha

I didnt let all of them go:devil: