PDA

View Full Version : need help 96 honda 300ex

antbug21
02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
i have a 96 300ex that i got for 200 off of craigslist the top end was in a bucket the guy said it just needed rings. so i got the rings and but everything back together and it started running and smoking rode around the yard for 1min and it cut off and i could not get it to crank. check plug and it was fould out so replaced the plug and it acts like it wants to crank but just wont spent all day today trying to get it to run. got gas and spark what else could there be compression? it has to have compression it bust off but wont run. any elp will be appreciated:devil:

dman66
02-06-2011, 06:19 AM
So does the motor actually turn over now or not? If it does'nt turn over, it could be many things.

antbug21
02-06-2011, 07:21 AM
it turn over and bumps like it is going to crank but just want stay running i going to post a vid later so u can actually know just what im talking about

sm00th026
02-06-2011, 08:49 AM
if you have gas an fire and say you got good compression have you checked the compression if good like you say what about the timing chain have you checked it to see if it jumped time?

400thacker
02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
sounds like timing issue. check the chain and the tentioner. seems to me like it jumped time. that will make them hard to start and usually will not stay running or even run at all.

it takes

COMPRESSION
FUEL/AIR
CORRECT TIMING

to run

start with the chain and tentioner then do a compression test.

have you tried roll starting it or pullin it behind another quad? if it jumped time I think it's possible to bend a valve and hit your piston if you keep trying to start it without checkin everything.

antbug21
02-06-2011, 11:00 AM
if i rollstart it what gear does it need to be in. and i will hate to take off the valve cover again somebody said i need to adjust the valves what do yall think

400thacker
02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I roll start mine in 2nd or 3rd depends on compression and how fast you are rolling. I suggest 3rd gear and pulling it behind another quad or something.
I would make sure the timing chain isn't stretched and the tentioner is working first.
if it's out of time and you get it started it might bend a valve.

as long as the valves are not too tight it will run, it might be noisy if they are loose but it shouldn't hurt anything to run it with the valves a little lose just for diagnostics. if they are too tight then you might not have enough compression to run.

antbug21
02-06-2011, 05:16 PM
well i rechecked everything today and set the piston at TDC and rechecked the cam and guest what it had jumped time but i got to put the valve cover back on but i have to wait for the oil line bolt cause i broke it today but here is a vid of what it was doin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qCxtjC0oGY

sm00th026
02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Was it the chain or is it the chain tentioner to make it jump time?

antbug21
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
i think it is my chain b/c it slack and tensioner is all the way out but sometime the spring in the tensioner can go bad and cause it to jump time too.:devil:

sm00th026
02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I would check your tentioner too. by taking it out or off of the motor. put the spring a cap back on it and push it on the floor or wall. and if the(what I call the->) plunger move's any you need a new tentioner. because the teeth on the plunger are worn down and it will not catch to work right. I have had this happen to me on a 350 warrior.

antbug21
02-07-2011, 09:58 PM
thanks for the reply i will try that tomorrow when i get out of work and let u know how everything turned out also does anybody know how to change the timing chain do i have to tear it back down to the bottom end or is their a easier way?:devil: