PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shocks Whateveryone Should Know

shook
02-14-2003, 11:47 AM
I have two sets of them front and rear , and in my personal opinion they suck.I have had them sent back to elka 5 times for various problems and they still come back if not the same problem its another . I have friends who run axis and love them and have had no problem with them at all I mean when you spend $1200. bucks on a set of shocks and get them in your wanting to ride and when you open the box and theres no mounting hard ware , well that not that big of deal just rig something( good ole duct tape ) but then the lines going to the rezzies are aimed straight down ( I mean towards the ground ) well then there s another issue. Well Im not going to bore you with some of my dealings with elkas but these arent just one time dealings either twice they sent two different sets of shocks like this. I know numerous others whom have had problems also. I know many axis owners that have them and love them and havent had any of these problems. ELKA are nothing but pretty works Id save my money and just go with the works. If you want a quality shock get an AXIS or P.E.P. they at least work when you get them They are worth the extra wait and the extra bucks lets face it wonder why theres a wait (probably because they know what they are doing and or they are fixing elka shocks so they can be used .

Quadfather
02-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Bummer.

shook
02-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Yea for close to $3000. bucks worth of shocks AXIS AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAX ISAXISAXISAXIS Get my drift or need I say more.

shook
02-14-2003, 11:58 AM
FORSALE set of comp. adjustable with remote rezzies Brand New Havent got to use this set I couldnt mount them on the bike
NO HARDWARE !!!!!! It must be a english translation thing.

02-14-2003, 12:09 PM
They never shipped you mounting hardware?? Even the first time you got them??

Sorry ta here the bad luck...mine are workin flawlessly..:cool:

YZROOSTINYA
02-14-2003, 12:15 PM
my buddies piggyback trple rate with rebound work great along with rezzie rear

hopefully mine will be ok, there supposed to be here sometime next week

Extremeracer167
02-14-2003, 12:25 PM
:eek: noooooo not Elka:blah j/p guys

Pappy
02-14-2003, 12:32 PM
rubber boots have been deployed

02-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Besides the $15 worth of hardware missing what is the actual problem with the shocks???

Extremeracer167
02-14-2003, 12:35 PM
well i think the main problem with the shocks is they say ELka, so u know those crazy canadians have some whacked out valving:D Man im gonna get B*TCHED out, lol.:blah

Sparks425Ex
02-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Have you had any real probs besides teh missing hardware. There are millions of guys on here that have Elkas and their aren't many complants.

Derek
02-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
rubber boots have been deployed

i was thinking more on the lines of hip waders

Doibugu2
02-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Here we go again.

I think I am going to make a thread about Elka sucking because I cannot figure out how to mount my Elka's. Boy this subject is getting old.

Someone got some racing pics for me to look at?

Tommy 17
02-14-2003, 01:45 PM
shoulda got piggy backs:p haha that is if u even own elkas!!!!!!!

Doibugu2
02-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
shoulda got piggy backs:p haha that is if u even own elkas!!!!!!!

Was this to me?

Extremeracer167
02-14-2003, 01:54 PM
nah i think he was talkin about the guy who started the thread;)

Derek
02-14-2003, 01:55 PM
yea he wasnt talking bout u

02-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Was this to me?

Yeah it was,,what chew gonna do about it big boy....:macho

QuadRacer041
02-14-2003, 02:03 PM
well, i havent had my elka's that long and i did get them used but to me they seem to work very well. i was really impressed, i am a pep man all the way but...these shocks work well.
now elka has raised there prices alot in the past few months, making them much more expensive the pep's.i cant really say what shock is better because the elka's are setup for xc and the pep's for mx.
it seems the elka is still having problems with there setup's though, seems that many people who complain...complain about the shocks not being setup right. i think that is something elka needs to figure out pretty quick since the are priced about the same as axis now.
the elka's that came on my xc bike were supossed to be set up for a 200# rider, im quite a bit bigger the 200# and they feel a little stiff even for me, but i like em that way, alot of people dont like a real stiff ride.

IM MY OPINION!!!!!!,elka are now over priced, the best thing elka has in there favor is the short wait time.

also it seems that elka lets companies like the quadshop(nothing against QS just using them as an example) set up there shocks, and i correct in saying this????it just seems from what ive read here in other posts thats how it works, if i am worng please let me know.
but that being said the problem with set up may not be elka's fault.
does anyone agree/disagree??

Pappy
02-14-2003, 02:04 PM
lmao.....doui was gonna put a boot in young thomas's arse i believe:eek: rotflmgdao:D

Doibugu2
02-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Yeah it was,,what chew gonna do about it big boy....:macho

I actually have Elka's with Piggybacks! I don't know where all this hostility is coming from.:ermm:

I was kidding before.:rolleyes:

Pappy
02-14-2003, 02:11 PM
I don't know where all this hostility is coming from.:ermm:

we will get him at hatfield:devil

02-14-2003, 02:12 PM
we will get him at hatfield:devil

Pappy should I take my elka's off and put my blown stockers back on when we go to hatfield????:confused:

Pappy
02-14-2003, 02:14 PM
hahahaa....i think doui might just run yer arse of a cliff...lmao

or worse yet......hide your beer cooler:eek:

Doibugu2
02-14-2003, 02:32 PM
hahahaa....i think doui might just run yer arse of a cliff...lmao

or worse yet......hide your beer cooler:eek:

I know stealing Rico's beer would hurt him more than me running him off a cliff. I fight dirty:D

Quadfather
02-14-2003, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't go near Rico's cooler. I just happen to have a pic of the "cooler guards."

redrocker
02-14-2003, 03:05 PM
My buddy has the elka's and I have the
axis and I think it is night and day between
the two I love my AXIS!!!!!!!!:cool:

QuadTrix6
02-14-2003, 03:11 PM
i love my pep! Came with all hardware, extra crossovers, shockwears, and stickers:D

beerock
02-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by shook
ELKA are nothing but pretty works Id save my money and just go with the works. If you want a quality shock get an AXIS or P.E.P. they at least work when you get them

heres another example of works bein draged through the dirt.
There stadium series HIGH END shock is on par with axis, pep and tcs.Stop comparing the works steelers (which is a lower grade shock) to high grade shocks. compare there stadium shock.

I do think there is a bit of hypnosis goin on in this forum with elka shocks.

I also think some of the people(not everyone) on the forum with elka shocks think that there shocks are suppose to feel the way they are and never say they suck because they dont know any better. It is very common to meet osmeone who thinks they have there shocks set up good but turns out there not.

In closing, I would rather sell a customer a stadium series top of the line works shock with full adjustability then any elka. I know the quality is there and I know works knows how to set shocks up. They do it all for cheaper to, you know why? because they been around longer then anyone. Works also makes any length travel shock you need.

this is a works stadium(ssd, zps style) series with a billit body full adjustaility and 5/8 shaft like all the others.

Oh yeah you dont lose a inch or 2 of travel with the rebound on the works like you would with the shocks with the knob type rebound(like elka or axis):eek:

02-14-2003, 03:29 PM
beerock how much would a front works like that one u mentioned run? I also agree abt why does everyone say works are so bad? They have plenty of experience and great shocks.

Doibugu2
02-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Bee, how many more times are we going to hear the same thing from you? Not trying to flame, but this subject has been covered by everyone.

Lets talk about somethig else. We need a good "Show your Girlfriend" thread.:huh

Extremeracer167
02-14-2003, 03:33 PM
i wouldnt go so far as to say they are on par with Axis, thats just silly. They may be on par with Elka, but not Axis and PEP. I dont care what kinda works shocks u have. Unless they are a special order shock. Works valving is NOT as precise as Axis or PEP. They both go with 10lb increments. Works is 30lb. increments. It is just not possible for them to be as precise in the setup as Axis and PEP. THe reason everybody compares the top of the line shocks with the steelers is becuase the WOrks Stadium shocks are ALMOST the same price. And like i said they just arent going to be able to run with the Axis and PEP

Dave400ex
02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Not another one of these threads. Did this guy ever even ride on his Elka's? How can he say they suck if he never rode on them? I think now since Elka raised their prices more guys will be buying PEP or TCS because they are now the cheapest. Heck I know if I was buying new shocks right now I would be looking at TCS and PEP very hard. PEP is one of the cheapest, but one of the best, sounds like a way you can't go wrong. Elka is also good, but they need a little more time, and with the price hike that will hurt them...

Rastus
02-14-2003, 05:22 PM
I'd look at Stadium works too.

Sure can't beat the price.

Who in their right mind, with a Budget, is gonna pay 3,000 all around for shocks.

I'll have to agree with BeeRock with this one.

shook
02-14-2003, 05:40 PM
If you spend that much money on a set of shocks you should have to do any thing to them., and then you you especially shouldnt have to recharge them with nitrogen and yes i have ridden on them I had to rig them to get them on. An even then they werent right had to have elka send me another set of springs because they set them up wrong and then they had to be sent back because it wasnt the springs it was something internally that was not right.

besides if you had as many f'd up experiences with elka as I have you probably would be a member of the elka fan club those of you whom are , and from the looks of it there are many for you have them and love them thats great wish mine had turned out that way but like some one in one of the replies earlier said do you really know if there right and if so what did you compare them to a set of AXIS or PEPS just like i said earlier this is my opinion of ELKA those of you whom love them if you were in my shoes you would probably be posting this same forum

Next time Ill buy AXIS anyone know where you can get a good deal on AXIS if so pm me

I talked to many riders at the races whom have these Elkas and some of them have said they wouldnt buy them again they would choose axis and several riders told me I made a mistake before I even recieved them for the first time.

I wish one of you elka lovers would buy these things I give them credit they look pretty.

400exBro
02-14-2003, 06:20 PM
by how much did elka go up by??

if they are almost as much as axis, screw elka i am getting pep lts, from either splash n dirt or hsd...

BTW QuadTrix6 i am drooling at those shocks.......
:scary:

02-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
by how much did elka go up by??

if they are almost as much as axis, screw elka i am getting pep lts, from either splash n dirt or hsd...

BTW QuadTrix6 i am drooling at those shocks.......
:scary:

i think elka are actually more money then PEP especially if you are getting LT

Mxbubs
02-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and you all know Im full of mine.:D

I had the Axis on my old bike, I really liked them, but they were flat out arrogant people so I dont use them anymore.

I had works on my old 250r, they worked great for fast speed bumps, but didnt handle hard hits as well as I would have like, but they were great for the price.

I now have Elka's and I am 100% happy, and I am IMPOSSIBLE to make happy.:D

AL81
02-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Doug Gust is running elkas this year on his walsh bike

02-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by AL81
Doug Gust is running elkas this year on his walsh bike

Dana Creech is running PEPs this year on his bikes.:eek: :blah

AL81
02-14-2003, 07:04 PM
No freakin way!!!

Dave400ex
02-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Well Gust running Elka says something because he could get any shock company out there to give him some shocks. Gust and Creech's shocks may be what you can buy from PEP or Elka, but they will be a heck of a lot more dialed in...

02-14-2003, 08:02 PM
I was gonna make the usuall smart @ss post but then I realized its all b-low-me.:blah

02-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
I was gonna make the usuall smart @ss post but then I realized its all b-low-me. :eek: :p :p :p

forum
02-14-2003, 10:41 PM
if you people are gonna get into quility of material wars .. pep your outa here. cause they use works parts. I've gotten flak for this before but its true. even there zps's use atleast works rezzies' just look at quadtrix shocks, and tell me they aint works rezzies. hey Im not sying they are a bad shock they are awsome. and in most casses set up the valving more corectly. Elka is still working things out!. and every once in awhile they screw up. but as time goes on they are screwing up less. If doug gust is running them they have to be good. And don't give me this chit about they are paying him and thats the only reason. O im sure they are givving him money. but if he felt the peps or axis would win him more races Im sure he would turn down the relatively small amount of money i would bet they are givving him. some people are over exagerating when you say they're price hike is on par with axis!.

beerock
02-14-2003, 10:55 PM
**** this bull**** topic im just totaly sick of it. LIKE sick of it all YEAH:blah

seriously, unless you know whats goin on with the particular rider you dont know what is goin on.

and

I know what ive said about was for the posisitive side, but from what I have heard from works directly , they are sorta slackin, im sorrry for any slanderous reports abot there shocks, works pretty much thinks alot of handling is thrown offf due to the loss of suspension travel, but they are realy acting to arrogant. I denounce works from coming close to any othe shocks from wha i thave recently ackknoledged:cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :) :macho

QuadRacer041
02-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by forum
if you people are gonna get into quility of material wars .. pep your outa here. cause they use works parts. I've gotten flak for this before but its true. even there zps's use atleast works rezzies' just look at quadtrix shocks, and tell me they aint works rezzies. hey Im not sying they are a bad shock they are awsome. and in most casses set up the valving more corectly. Elka is still working things out!. and every once in awhile they screw up. but as time goes on they are screwing up less. If doug gust is running them they have to be good. And don't give me this chit about they are paying him and thats the only reason. O im sure they are givving him money. but if he felt the peps or axis would win him more races Im sure he would turn down the relatively small amount of money i would bet they are givving him. some people are over exagerating when you say they're price hike is on par with axis!.

look forum,
everytime there is a post about shocks someone always brings that up, that pep uses works parts....you are f'en wrong ok, just because it looks similar doesnt mean its the same.and if you could see, the pep cans are much bigger then works, and i dont remember seeing works with an adjuster on there cans either. im so sick of people sayin there the same. talk to baldwin, nac's and any other pep dealer or even a top rider that has used pep's, why dont you PM creetch and ask him,,,,$hit.
as for gust using elka's this year, i guess axis suck because he used then last year and didnt win the championship(sp?), and switched to something else!!!!!and the year he did win what was he using ahhhh, ummmm, aahhh, i think it was pep, o yea it was pep.come man give me a break:rolleyes:
also, your always praisin your elka's but....is your bike even done yet???have you ridin to see how good they are.
i mean at leaste have some seat time on them before you say how good they are.
i mean i have more respect for tommy17 or extreme, or anyone else who has elka's or axis who's done alot of riding with them to actually have a valid comment.
:grr

QuadRacer041
02-15-2003, 04:49 AM
o yea, got to a web site that sells elka's and see how mucj they are for ssd's, with dual adjust, lt's. if i remember right either $1,100 or $1,200 i would say thats right with axis, unless someone cant add and subtract.

400exBro
02-15-2003, 05:28 AM
over 1 grand, for a set of elkas???
is that americain or canadian??

i guess i am going to call some dealers around my area and ask how much they are selling for....

i am thinking pep shocks are looking good right now...

now if i were to get the lt zps fronts, could i run the rear rebuild with out losing shock performace through out the bike??

QuadRacer041
02-15-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
over 1 grand, for a set of elkas???
is that americain or canadian??

i guess i am going to call some dealers around my area and ask how much they are selling for....

i am thinking pep shocks are looking good right now...

now if i were to get the lt zps fronts, could i run the rear rebuild with out losing shock performace through out the bike??

pep can convert a 400ex rear shock to zps.

02-15-2003, 07:28 AM
:rolleyes:

QuadRacer041
02-15-2003, 07:30 AM
:rolleyes:

:D

Extremeracer167
02-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Well said Quad041. And def. well said RIco!! Where in the h#LL do u get all of those damn pics!? haha

ESR250R
02-15-2003, 08:48 AM
i know that when i had some longtravels quoted for me it was like $1150. i thought there prices on long travel was crazy. if i were to go with longtravel i would go with tcs if i wanted a shorter wait and pep if i didnt mind the long wait. i also wasnt pleased with the valving on my elka shocks but i am sending mine to the quadshop to be revalved. i think that peps, elka, tcs, and axis are all in the same ballpark as far as shock quality goes, i think it all lies in the valving of the shocks and how well they are setup. i truely believe the if u send a pair of peps and a set of elkas to mark baldwin u would get them back and they would all be about the same. there are alot of people that are happy with there elkas (valved correctly) a few that i can think of are jeff@quadshop, mxbulbs, quad041, along with a few others. if i were to do it all again i would order up elkas through the quadshop. everyone that gets there shocks threw them says that the shocks are setup awesome. i should have my quad back together in about 3 weeks here and when i do i will give u guys a good review on my newly revalved elkas. i know what good shocks should ride like so i dont want to hear that, u dont know any better crap.

Red Rooster
02-15-2003, 10:55 AM
this goes well with Rico's pic

beerock
02-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by forum

yo dude, listen, when pep started out they used works parts. Wayne(owner of pep) is good friends with the owner of works.
Pep MAKES THERE OWN BODIES NOW.

Also, those rezzies dont look NO WHERE NEAR a works rezzie.

more like a stock honda rezzie from the rear shock.;)

thats what pep uses and its probably one of the best rezzies out there.

Derek
02-15-2003, 11:55 AM
arnt the pep long travel shocks the same price as there 16 inch shocks?

QuadRacer041
02-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Derek
arnt the pep long travel shocks the same price as there 16 inch shocks?

yes, i believe they are.

beerock
02-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by beerock
**** this bull**** topic im just totaly sick of it. LIKE sick of it all YEAH:blah

seriously, unless you know whats goin on with the particular rider you dont know what is goin on.

and

I know what ive said about was for the posisitive side, but from what I have heard from works directly , they are sorta slackin, im sorrry for any slanderous reports abot there shocks, works pretty much thinks alot of handling is thrown offf due to the loss of suspension travel, but they are realy acting to arrogant. I denounce works from coming close to any othe shocks from wha i thave recently ackknoledged:cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :) :macho

Guys I wrote this last night after 7 shots of tequila.

actually, I saw this post and was like when did i post this?:uhoh
but it is mostly true.

I'm trying to work with works on there view of the ssd type shock.

they pretty much dont like how half the shock travel is not used, and it is a valid point, but everyone uses ssd and zps now so i pretty much think there being arrogant.

OH YEAH, when you call axis up they are arrogant for a reason.
our little puny atv shocks aint a 1/4 of there sales. they deal with race cars and make a ton more money on them then the atv shock. You realize it is roger penske racing right?

mayeb some of you dont understand, roger penske had 3 cars on the front line for indy one year and pretty much was the largest force in indy. cart has diminished but still. roge penske deals with people that have million dollar race cars and spend $50,000+
for shocks.
so YEAH they sort of have a right to be arrogant.:macho

if they were arrogant to me I would ask for more u never know if roger himself is on the line.:confused2

Team Country
02-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Guys,
If you ask me, anyone that knows what their doin' with shocks and understands how they work and how to set them up, they can make any shock work wheter it be Axis,Elka,Motowoz,Pep,TCS,Works or any other professionably built shock. That's the same reason they make Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc... As far as the pros go, they're going to use, who's paying and who's working with them the best. All these shock manufacturer's have different things about their shocks that make them unique. They're all good shocks it just depends on who's turn it is to get screwed at that time. They all make mistakes, some maybe more than others. I've had several types of shocks Axis, PEP, Works and a new comer MotoWoz. I like to deal with the man himself and I think Jesse (from what I know from speaking with him) is an upstanding guy. When I get my new shocks and have time to try them out, we'll see. Plain and simple they all will work if you've got the know how, patience, and money, money, money.

MotoWoz (619)659-2889 Ask for Jesse and you'll get personal treatment. That's why they cost so much. But anytime I can talk to the man that makes the shock. That's who I'm going with!!!!
Axis used to be that way, but they're kind of two big for us ATV guys now. I was trying to get a pair set up of shocks from them without rezzies to run in the stock class and Rick with Axis, in my opinion didn't give a **** one way or the other if I bought them from him or not. Everyone knows that their shocks are expensive as **** and I was willing to pay it, but not to somebody that doesn't have the time to talk to me and even act interested in helping. I have two sets of their Dual Rate triple adjust shocks. Anyone interested?

Peace!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done!!!!!!!!!

Team Country
02-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by beerock
Guys I wrote this last night after 7 shots of tequila.

actually, I saw this post and was like when did i post this?:uhoh
but it is mostly true.

I'm trying to work with works on there view of the ssd type shock.

they pretty much dont like how half the shock travel is not used, and it is a valid point, but everyone uses ssd and zps now so i pretty much think there being arrogant.

OH YEAH, when you call axis up they are arrogant for a reason.
our little puny atv shocks aint a 1/4 of there sales. they deal with race cars and make a ton more money on them then the atv shock. You realize it is roger penske racing right?

mayeb some of you dont understand, roger penske had 3 cars on the front line for indy one year and pretty much was the largest force in indy. cart has diminished but still. roge penske deals with people that have million dollar race cars and spend $50,000+
for shocks.
so YEAH they sort of have a right to be arrogant.:macho

if they were arrogant to me I would ask for more u never know if roger himself is on the line.:confused2

As far a Roger Penske goes. He and Rusty suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quadfather
02-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Team Country

That's hitting below the seatbelt.

I'm sure they both have a lot bigger balls than you do, even in your wildest dreams.

Derek
02-15-2003, 04:45 PM

i think he's got sand in his vagina.

Quadfather
02-15-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm sure he does, what was I thinking?

Team Country
02-15-2003, 04:53 PM
What are u guys ball inspectors?

We'll see tommorrow?

Any bets?

Put your money where your mouth is! On deez. Deez nuts.

Team Country
02-15-2003, 04:57 PM
****, Rusty ain't even smart enough to follow a fast car. If he would have followed Junior in the Shootout instead of trying to be an arrogant prick. He probably could have finished 2nd.

I know how he is because I've met him a couple of times.

Just my opinoin. You guys don't have to attack me. But if you would like we can take it to the woods!

Derek
02-15-2003, 04:58 PM
ur cool:macho

Team Country
02-15-2003, 05:06 PM
I never meant any harm Guys. Just gave my opinion. Ain't America great!!!!!

Peace Love and Happiness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quadfather
02-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Second place is just the first loser. He was there for one thing. TO WIN.

How many times have you heard a racer interviewed before the race say " I came all this way to capture second place. I've really worked hard, I've really got my eye on that second place trophy"?

Team Country
02-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Well I guess he doesn't even need to show up tommorrow because everyones racing for 2nd.

Dave400ex
02-15-2003, 05:49 PM
So about them Elka's..... :blah

Derek
02-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
So about them Elka's..... :blah

cough cough rip off cough cough

Mxbubs
02-15-2003, 06:15 PM

I can second that, from experience.:cool:

phatswinn
02-15-2003, 06:17 PM
send ur dam shocks to me and ill test them out for ya, then enever give them back, quit complaining its better than stock, did u even try calling elka and asking them for a set of mounting hardware, i garentee wthey will send u set for free

shook
02-15-2003, 07:09 PM
yea three times and have had the shocks 10 months.They have been back to elka 3 times and the other set 4 times its ok though I have a set of AXIS on order they said they would send 2 extra sets of mounting hardware so ill at least be able to sell the elkas.

beerock
02-15-2003, 07:09 PM

hehehe balls and vagina LOL

this guys funny!

I get the humor:D

I would like to say something about quad fathers comment.

2nd place is not the first loser. neither is 3rd 4th 5th, heck top 10.

if u place in the top ten in every race or make it more simple, if you place 2nd in every race you more then likely will win the points championship and thats what counts.:macho

shook
02-15-2003, 08:07 PM
bump!!!!

AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS AXIS

Quadfather
02-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Your point is well taken, Beerock. I was just making the point that everyones intention of entering a race is to win.

Dave400ex
02-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Don't think they are a rip off, but sure whatever you say....

The Axis would be very nice, but I wouldn't want to pay that much. Their wait isn't to bad though...

Derek
02-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Don't think they are a rip off, but sure whatever you say....

The Axis would be very nice, but I wouldn't want to pay that much. Their wait isn't to bad though...

dude elka and axis are just about the same price!!! U just completly contradicted yourself.

Dave400ex
02-15-2003, 09:21 PM
No their not. I got my Triple Rate, Compression Adjustable, SSD fronts for $725. Now I think they are around $830 retail or something close to that. K&K ATV has Axis Compression Adjust Triple Rates for $1,175. Elka is still like $200 cheaper give or take a few....

MX26
02-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Beerock,

People trash Works because they think that they can go out and get a set of dual rate steelers w/o rezzies and jump the living dog ***** out of them, like they're top-of-the-line PEP/Axis/Elka/whatever. It's BillyBob that's got nuts bigger than a brain that cases the **** out of a 70' double and snaps his steeler's in 1/2, then comes and reports it on the internet that Works suck! That's why they have a bad reputation.

beerock
02-15-2003, 11:15 PM
I read ya quad fatha

u too mx26
its also the people that switch from a steeler to a different level shock.

thats like sayin I traded my ford mustang in for a ferrari 348 and damn its better then the stang! well if you compared a like cars like a new ford gt 40 then it would be comparable.

just like the shocks.

I will admit I have found out that the works use the same body on there pro series shocks but with a bigger shaft(which makes the volume of oil less) I am looking into the other manufacturers bodies, but i believe elka, axis, and pep use larger bodies for more oil capacity. So I may be changin my mind about works.

but it still stands that no one has compared a pro series works to its competeing brand of shock.....(im sure some people have but there not on this forum)-I may im not sure right now...

02-16-2003, 02:37 AM
FYI on the Elka LT 19" quad rate

The list price may be much higher than the 16" triple but the dealer price is the same, so if your good you can get them under 800.00 no problem. (Elka dont like this but its the "deal")

And the rear should be able to be found around 700.00 with the new prices.

As far as rear rebuilds go I say stay away from them. They dont have the same amount of travel and will mess with the overall front to rear weight bias and transfers etc. and especially on the lt fronts.

I dont know a whole lot about this but it is there and the set up is made more complicated etc. and even with the lt front and new rear there seems to be a little bit of "tweeking" needed to get things balanced correctly.

Since I am still working this out on mine I dont know the answer but just the questions.

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 03:33 AM
No their not. I got my Triple Rate, Compression Adjustable, SSD fronts for $725. Now I think they are around $830 retail or something close to that. K&K ATV has Axis Compression Adjust Triple Rates for $1,175. Elka is still like $200 cheaper give or take a few....

go to TQS web site and check out the price, they are just about the same price dude.

Dave400ex
02-16-2003, 08:51 AM
They have the Elka's I got listed for $895. The comparable Axis are still $100 more. They are very close, but NOT the same....

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 09:33 AM
first of all $100 dont mean $hit when were talkin that much money, but........if you go -top of the line to top of the line-quadrate/dual adjust,lt/all that other nonsence they are the same give or take $50.
and that a fare cry from the old prices, and as far as i know( i may be wrong ) its the same shock, its not like they came out with something new and better.

ESR250R
02-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Well that was very stupid of elka. imo its worth the extra $100 to get a pair of shocks that u know will be valved right. the only thing elka had going for them was they were cheaper than the rest. there is no way ppl are going to spend that much on shocks when the company has that little of experience in shock valving. i would NEVER buy elka shocks for that much.

Pappy
02-16-2003, 09:44 AM
well here is a thought.....

sometimes a small company will exceed in sales what it can reliably produce. to ebb sales it will raise prices. this allows sales to slow somewhat and also....they will make the same profit margin on the lower sales numbers. this may not make complete sense to alot of you.....but i do this type of work everday and promise you that its a common occurance in sales.

just go look at hipers new pricing....thats caused by them taking over the manufacturing end of making the rims. cost of business has to come from somewhere......and we usually pay for it.

another thought.....

elka retailers have been selling the shocks below what elka retailed them at. this could have been because elka was relatively new and the attractive pricing made them the better chioce for consumers. now that they have the "name" out there....the retail pricing is being followed more closely. deals are still out there...you just have to know who to order them from:p

Dave400ex
02-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Yeah if I was going to get LT full adjustable Shocks I would go with Axis over Elka. Elka's price raise was very stupid, but with some more Pro's running the Elka's this year they will get better at valving. You will still be able to find some good deals on the Elka's. Heck if I was ever to get new shocks I would look at TCS and PEP because they are cheaper, charge the same for LT, just as good quality, and everybody knows PEP valves the best. TCS really has no downsides I can think of, but the only one PEP has is the wait....

shook
02-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Youll spend that extra $100. to the UPS man for shipping to get elka to finally get your shocks straight.

Pappy
02-16-2003, 11:15 AM
shook....maybe you had trouble....but you arent making a very good point for yourself. the more you try.....the worse YOU look.

i have purchased 4 sets of elkas...never any trouble. i have arranged for atleast 10 other sets to be delivered to other people...never any trouble.

pep..axis...works...tcs...elka.....last time i checked they were all run by human beings......and the last man to walk on water was 2000 years ago.;)

i could care less what shock people buy......different strokes for different folks. some people can only afford works steelers....some can afford custom axis....does this make them any less of an atv enthusiest? does it make them lower class people?

your credibilty is below par here......if ya got beef then post facts not opinions. your ignorance in regards to canadians shows your level of intellect.

i dont mean to flame....but your posts leave me no choice. i would assume that if these problems did actually happen you would have posted sooner.

Ralph
02-16-2003, 11:20 AM
my elkas are perfect,

and isnt weird how recently whenever a new chassy comes out or a new product, it is always presented with some elkas? weird aint it...

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 12:15 PM
shook....maybe you had trouble....but you arent making a very good point for yourself. the more you try.....the worse YOU look.

i have purchased 4 sets of elkas...never any trouble. i have arranged for atleast 10 other sets to be delivered to other people...never any trouble.

pep..axis...works...tcs...elka.....last time i checked they were all run by human beings......and the last man to walk on water was 2000 years ago.;)

i could care less what shock people buy......different strokes for different folks. some people can only afford works steelers....some can afford custom axis....does this make them any less of an atv enthusiest? does it make them lower class people?

your credibilty is below par here......if ya got beef then post facts not opinions. your ignorance in regards to canadians shows your level of intellect.

i dont mean to flame....but your posts leave me no choice. i would assume that if these problems did actually happen you would have posted sooner.

ehhh take it easy pappy,
i kinda simpathize(sp?) with him a little, last year aoround this time a had a little trouble with and after market frame(which i shall not name) and a mail order company(which i will also not name), and although when it was all said and done like 4 months later i had a full refund, i am still very bitter about it.
we all spend are hard earned money on parts that are very expensive weather its $700 or $1200 its still alot of money,and when you get these parts and there are some things missing or there not set up right it is very very frustrating. because you have to get on the phone with them, hope that they are there and you dont get an awnsering machine, ship the stuff back, wait for them to fix it, get it shipped back, and hope thats its right this time.
i mean you guys all know me here, when i dont like something im the first to tell everyone how it sux, :D
but...i try not to argue about it, its just a problem i had and want to make other people aware of it, yea know.
im sure he was just trying to vent a little and then everyone who loves elka's jumps down his neck and kinda says that he's dreamin.
so....$hit happens and he'll get a differnt set of shocks and hopefully he will like them(ummmm PEP) :eek:

Pappy
02-16-2003, 12:30 PM
im not saying he doesnt have a right to b!tch....i just wish people would learn how to correctly go about it.

bashing a nationality because a company makes a mistake is ignorant.

posting a problem that is complete and factual sure would help....not adding to the thread as it suits that persons needs.

using a problem post to advertise another brand is cheap.

when these posts pop up (no matter what the subject or company) i read more into how the person is acting..and reacting to replies more then the problem itself. for all we know that person is a complete dipchit and couldnt express themself outta a wet paper bag. by evaluating their comments and opinions it gives ya a pretty good idea how they communicate. and if they are a poor comunicator that could have added to the problem in the first place. id take this same position if it was axis being slammed.

i geuss being on the other end of problems like these makes me biased. this type of problem is all the more reason to deal with a supplier that works with you. if i have a vendor that i purchase from....they tend to have better lines of communication with the supplier and therefore if a problem arises its handled correctly and much faster then dealing with the company direct.

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 12:35 PM
ok, i didnt see where he bashed someone's nationality.
i here what your sayin, my last post was kinda based on his original post, and the problems he had not his remarks to all the other poeple who were responding to him.

MX26
02-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Lrd Mx400ex
my elkas are perfect,

and isnt weird how recently whenever a new chassy comes out or a new product, it is always presented with some elkas? weird aint it...

I think they're presented with Elka's because Elka has one of the best looking shocks out there. That's not saying anything about the quality of the product at all, just the appearance.

Beerock: Once again, right on. I've heard so many local guys bash Works because they started out on a Steeler, then upgraded to a ZPS style shock. Well of course a $900 set of PEP's is going to out-perform a set of $300 Works. Its common sense.... Something that alot of MX'ers lack. :confused2

I can see why Elka raised their prices, but I think they'll suffer from it. Pappy may very well be correct, but I do think that Elka had a big number of sales because they were the cheapest ZPS style shock on the market. Now, they're one of the most expensive and with their current valving they are not on par with the others in their price league. And that's the REST of the story ;)

shook
02-16-2003, 12:45 PM
First if you go back to the original thread It was stated IN MY OPINION. Then was back up with several facts that were problems.I myself as a atv addict would want to be informed when another fellow ex rider member has had a problem with a company or product. As far as how elka has been about it they have been great to deal with but when you have the same problem continually still have the same problems with them thats has nothing to do with customer service. If you have them and like them that is fine and Im glad for your success with elkas. I am simply stating my experience with them. I f you were to buy a product and it was not what you felt it should be its only right to allow other exrider members to know so they dont experience the same problem, if you were to have a problem then I would read your thread and maybe some of the others and gather my opinion on whether or not I would take my chances on that product all Im saying is in this topic elkas I wouldnt chance it again. I in my opinion and experiences I would buy AXIS. What are you comparing your elkas. An as far as brand bashing goes I didnt bash any brand just gave my opinion based on my experience and as far as bashing someones nationality it was said may be it was a translation thing that could be causing the problem. Read the forums with a open mind and not like your the owner of the company. Pappy sorry to offend you its just what I feel is what every exrider member should know before purchasing elkas.I didnt bash you because youve had good luck with elkas.

Pappy
02-16-2003, 12:49 PM
well i have had my share of problems with companies and parts....but i exhaust every effort to allow the company to rectify the situation. and accordingly i will b!tch if they dont do it correctly and in a timely manor.

the bad part i see is you have a bunch of guys responding that have very little expierence racing or setting up shocks. they throw thier 2 cents in saying brand x is the best blah blah blah. i dont normally sweat it.....cuz im not joe pro racer so i keep my mouth shut on the technical stuff. i run elka cuz i get them at a very resonable price. i can also see where someone who runs mx and can actually ride would want to use pep or axis etc. but to listen to someones full blown opinion as to whats best....only to research and find out the biggest jump they have ever hit is the lil bump at the end of their driveway :huh or the fact that most of the responders in these threads have never actually raced a full blown mx or gncc race...yet they are experts? use this part...its the best.....i have never broken one riding in my backyard:huh

i am guilty of this to a point....but i actually see...and work on parts that are abused by some very fast people. i also am mature enough to realize that more then one part can get the job done with equal results.

JMO folks......just asking that you keep in mind an opinion is only as good as the facts backing it up

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 12:54 PM
well i have had my share of problems with companies and parts....but i exhaust every effort to allow the company to rectify the situation. and accordingly i will b!tch if they dont do it correctly and in a timely manor.

the bad part i see is you have a bunch of guys responding that have very little expierence racing or setting up shocks. they throw thier 2 cents in saying brand x is the best blah blah blah. i dont normally sweat it.....cuz im not joe pro racer so i keep my mouth shut on the technical stuff. i run elka cuz i get them at a very resonable price. i can also see where someone who runs mx and can actually ride would want to use pep or axis etc. but to listen to someones full blown opinion as to whats best....only to research and find out the biggest jump they have ever hit is the lil bump at the end of their driveway :huh or the fact that most of the responders in these threads have never actually raced a full blown mx or gncc race...yet they are experts? use this part...its the best.....i have never broken one riding in my backyard:huh

i am guilty of this to a point....but i actually see...and work on parts that are abused by some very fast people. i also am mature enough to realize that more then one part can get the job done with equal results.

JMO folks......just asking that you keep in mind an opinion is only as good as the facts backing it up

i agree with that 150%, that was my piont earlier,all these guys who say buy this and buy that. its the best because thats what they have, and..................the best part is, there bikes arent even done yet.:rolleyes:

Pappy
02-16-2003, 12:59 PM
What are you comparing your elkas.

i didnt compare them......i was refering to the fact i have never had trouble recieving incomplete product from them. does it happen? im sure it does and if you had problems id be ticked also. reread this thread and look closely at what you have expressed.

i had my biggest b!tch with maier plastic(not shocks but atv related) IMO it fit like crap...so i bought fullbore....still junk(IMO)because its too soft...and $500 for plastic that scratches way to easy sucks...lol

i honestly couldnt tell you an informed opinion on why pep or axis would be better then elka. are they? i would suspect that they are, in given situations. but to argue that fact on the internet is pretty useless it seems.

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 01:02 PM
pappy am i correct in saying that elka doesnt always valve and set up there socks?
from what can peice together from what ive reed here it seems elka lets other compainys set up there shocks too.

Pappy
02-16-2003, 01:15 PM
i couldnt tell ya lou....

all i know is every set ive run have been real close. but again...i dont get huge air or race flat out for 20 mins. in a mx race.

ive always thought of it like this....

a rider wants new shocks....so he buys works steelers cuz he can afford them...and they are awesome up to the point he becomes a better rider and can out ride the shocks capabilities. then he gets a higher end shock.(axis pep elka etc) well low and behold they kick ***** and now them works were junk...so the works bashing starts. then the whole thing repeats itself when he learns more and becomes an even better rider. kinda of vicsoius cycle:ermm:

i have ridin works...works pro series..elka ..pep..custom axis...and there were differences. but i honestly think that any of the higher end shocks have the capability to preform close to each other. i geuss we all want our shocks to be spot on when we get them but reality isnt that easy. i dont expect my shocks to be perfect....so i adjust them and set them accordingly. im pretty easy to please tho:p

but someone like quad041 who goes big may be alot more picky and has a good grasp on what he requires his shocks to do or a pretermined level that he feels his shocks should do. and there are others here that can do that also.

shocks are as bad as engines......wanna get some opinions...ask which motor is the best and what components to use:scary:

Dave400ex
02-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Pappy I agree 100%. I try to only say if something is good or bad if I have some experience with it, and with my Elka's I have never had a problem. Now sure if somebody asks Laeger or Walsh I would give my opinion on that and say Walsh, but really we are only here to give advice, not to make the final decision for that person. When I asked about Shocks everybody said to get PEP, well I researched for months and got the Elka's...

QuadRacer041
02-16-2003, 01:32 PM
the reason i say that i didnt think elka sets up all there shocks is becasue ive here people say here that " i sent my elka's to the quadshop to get rebuilt" IM not implying that quadshop doesnt set them up right im just want to know for my own knowledge, and by other companies other then elka set up there shocks that could be why they arent being set up right.
just to make it clear once again, i am only using the quadshops name as an exmple if doing shock service.

Pappy
02-16-2003, 01:47 PM
lou, i know that the quadshop rebuilds shocks....but i dont think they set them up for elka. if there is a problem im sure they could get it fixed faster then sending them to elka i presume.

ESR250R
02-16-2003, 01:48 PM
yes places like the quadshop setup the shocks. i ordered my elkas directly from elka at the beginning of last season. i bolted them on and spent most of my time adjusting them because i could never get them to ride correct. the rear would be land perfect but the fronts were always too stiff and would be way to ruff when i would jump ANYTHING and they were too stiff when i would go over whoops (i think the rebound was too hard). i had no adjustments except for the compressions so i called elka directly and told them my problem. they told me that they would ship me out a set of springs and that would make it ride better. i installed the springs and tried it out but it was no better then before. my last race of the season last year i got soooo digusted i wanted to quit racing all together. i thought about it long and hard and i was all about switching to long travel pep shocks but i realized that i would not be able to afford it because i had my bottom end of my motor completely rebuilt and i was planning on buying a new arens frame, hermann +2 +1 a arms, 89 length swingarm and a bunch of other little stuff that add up quick. and if i wanted to race at the beginning to the 03 season i couldnt save up in time for longtravel. i decided to have all three of my shocks revalved by the quadshop because i have heard that they do an excellent job at valving elka shocks. i sent my shocks out last monday to be revalved my marty@quadshop and i should have my stuff together but the beginning of next month. a couple of guys i race with have elka shocks. the one person has them on a banshee and he got his through elka directly and he was unhappy. the other one got his though c and d (i think) and he was extremely happy with his. i think the guys at elka need to slow things down a little and take a little better care of there customers and there valving jobs. that might be were there going with the price raise (slowing things down a bit).

airheadedduner
02-16-2003, 02:01 PM
First if you go back to the original thread It was stated IN MY OPINION. Then was back up with several facts that were problems.I myself as a atv addict would want to be informed when another fellow ex rider member has had a problem with a company or product. As far as how elka has been about it they have been great to deal with but when you have the same problem continually still have the same problems with them thats has nothing to do with customer service. If you have them and like them that is fine and Im glad for your success with elkas. I am simply stating my experience with them. I f you were to buy a product and it was not what you felt it should be its only right to allow other exrider members to know so they dont experience the same problem, if you were to have a problem then I would read your thread and maybe some of the others and gather my opinion on whether or not I would take my chances on that product all Im saying is in this topic elkas I wouldnt chance it again. I in my opinion and experiences I would buy AXIS. What are you comparing your elkas. An as far as brand bashing goes I didnt bash any brand just gave my opinion based on my experience and as far as bashing someones nationality it was said may be it was a translation thing that could be causing the problem. Read the forums with a open mind and not like your the owner of the company. Pappy sorry to offend you its just what I feel is what every exrider member should know before purchasing elkas.I didnt bash you because youve had good luck with elkas.

Have you considered taht you could be setting up your shocks wrong?? Are you providing them with good enough info for them to accurately valve your shocks?? I know that when I sent my rear to LRD I had to email what I wanted, leave a note with my specs in the box with the shocks, and they had me call and answer a bunch of questions for them. I got it back and it took me a day of riding to dial them in the way I wanted it and I couldn't be happier. If you where having probs with elka valveing them why send them back?? Why not send them somewhere else to be worked over.

The only downside of TCS that I have heard was that Mo said there valveing seems to be a little light. That I can deal with though:cool:

beerock
02-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Pap, I agree with what you have written, but theres two things that erk me. One is that you say you dont ride your bike to hard, that is usually when a shock will show its weakness.(bottom out, blow out, bad valving ETC).Two (please take this with a grain of salt) you sold a set of pep zps for a set of elka :huh . I still get twitchy when I think about that. Now, I know from pictures that u and lou are around the same build so the shocks were probably set up ok for ya, maybe not.I know u said you wanted a new set of shocks so thats why you sold em. but they were PEP ZPS MAN!
I guess the sayin "to each their own" fits well here. I just dont know what to think about it. It kinda shows your elka biased even over PEP ZPS:huh . :p ;)

like i said though, that saying goes real well. ;)

Id like to add something no one really touched yet. I'm the type of rider that can adjust my riding style to the suspension. With that said, a sub par shock could be made to look good with a rider that is capable of predicting the shocks movements(kind of hard to explain). for example if the rider is coming up on a whoop section and feels the fronts may bottom on impact he would position his body so the rear shock takes some of the hit as well. It sort of makes the impact less hard and thus the front shock doesnt bottom. BUT this kind of "persuasion" will tire the rider out faster then a shock that is set up better. Then it comes down to rider stamina.......:) (but then again a good shock is suppose to help rider stamina)-but if you gotta make due, learning how to persuade the shocks can help :macho

On a side note,
does anyone know the body width of elkas, axis and pep?

Im trying to research a couple things about shocks on a deeper level. Obviously if a shock can hold more oil it will fade less when put under the same conditions as another brand shock.

Pappy
02-16-2003, 02:10 PM
you are correct bee....i prefer elka over any brand and ill tell you why:

if i have any...and i mean ANY trouble with them....i have the full support and cooperation of the quadshop backing them up. its a pure matter of convience for me.

and i dont ride much mx...so instead of screwing around with getting the pep's revalved and set for xc i sold them. im not a brand name person...i go with what works. i could have had the pep's completely redone.....but with that comes the risk of it being wrong. then im in the same situation as everyone else with shocks that dont work like they should. saying that doesnt mean the elka's couldnt be screwed up, but...back to my point....full support from my supplier. marty does some nice work on shocks and knows elka like the back of his hand so im playing the averages. besides...you ever see my quads outta commision because of parts failures? ok..i just jinxed myself:blah

400exBro
02-16-2003, 02:14 PM
well put bee...

beerock
02-16-2003, 02:21 PM
you are correct bee....i prefer elka over any brand and ill tell you why:

if i have any...and i mean ANY trouble with them....i have the full support and cooperation of the quadshop backing them up. its a pure matter of convience for me.

and i dont ride much mx...so instead of screwing around with getting the pep's revalved and set for xc i sold them. im not a brand name person...i go with what works. i could have had the pep's completely redone.....but with that comes the risk of it being wrong. then im in the same situation as everyone else with shocks that dont work like they should. saying that doesnt mean the elka's couldnt be screwed up, but...back to my point....full support from my supplier. marty does some nice work on shocks and knows elka like the back of his hand so im playing the averages. besides...you ever see my quads outta commision because of parts failures? ok..i just jinxed myself:blah

yeah your right pappy, Ive known the quadshop has built/rebuilt shocks for a while. It is good to know u have a business to back your shocks up in case there not set up right, and turn around is likely a week at the most.:macho

Pappy
02-16-2003, 02:25 PM
its not just shocks. if i buy an item that i may have trouble with for any reason i get it from people i know. less headaches that way.

all other parts are bought on price and availabilty.

raptor_02
02-16-2003, 02:35 PM
all i do is MX and i have decided to go with ELKAS. I have heard complaints from everyone about every shock so I'm not changing my mind. If Doug Gust plans on running them they have to be pretty good. Jeff , Marty or who ever answers the phone at the QUAD SHOP, be expecting a phone call any day now.

MX26
02-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Anyone care to find out what shock company has the most GNC and GNCC National Championships under their belt?

Pappy
02-16-2003, 03:41 PM
id give the rider a lil credit....im sure jones..gust etc could win on just about any shocks ya put them on:p

bradley300
02-16-2003, 04:51 PM
the quadshop treats everyone like that pappy!!also, elka sends all of thier shocks to the customer on the softest/ slowest settings to avoid any confusion. most people think there shocks can go from the box to the track and they cant. elka cannot fine tune every ones shocks for thier exact riding style, thats why they are sent full soft. that way every customer know where they are starting there adj. from.

common situation- guy gets his brand new elkas out of the box (everything is full soft remember), bolts them up and goes to the track. bottoms out on everything. now he sends his elkas back beacause they are to soft. elka assuming that the shocks had been adj, (like the should have been) puts on new stiffer componets and our buddy gets hi shocks back. now the are way too stiff and he decides elka sucks.

where is the original adj session int this scenario? there isnt one. so the elkas are stiff the second time beause of bad input FROM THE CUSTOMER. they are great shocks if you know what you are doing.

mxracer89
02-16-2003, 05:02 PM
i bought my quad with elkas on them and was like all right i will give them a trie and now i love them. they are set up for a 250 pound guy and im only 150 and still works great

ESR250R
02-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
the quadshop treats everyone like that pappy!!also, elka sends all of thier shocks to the customer on the softest/ slowest settings to avoid any confusion. most people think there shocks can go from the box to the track and they cant. elka cannot fine tune every ones shocks for thier exact riding style, thats why they are sent full soft. that way every customer know where they are starting there adj. from.

common situation- guy gets his brand new elkas out of the box (everything is full soft remember), bolts them up and goes to the track. bottoms out on everything. now he sends his elkas back beacause they are to soft. elka assuming that the shocks had been adj, (like the should have been) puts on new stiffer componets and our buddy gets hi shocks back. now the are way too stiff and he decides elka sucks.

where is the original adj session int this scenario? there isnt one. so the elkas are stiff the second time beause of bad input FROM THE CUSTOMER. they are great shocks if you know what you are doing.

if your talking about me i got my shocks and they were set all the way to soft. i never sent them back and they were way too stiff. i called them up after a couple of months of having them and they told me a set of springs would help but they didnt. i think when they ship there shocks out they should put the adjustment in the middle so if there too soft they can adjust them softer and if they are too hard they can adjust them softer. i had no adjusting that i could do to my shocks. they were all they way soft when i got them sooo.

forum
02-16-2003, 06:36 PM
I'm calling elka tomorow. I just ordered some shocks maybe 2 weeks ago. They wernt going to be here till the end of feb because i had ordered the elite's and they arn't finished. ANyway I'm calling them and making sure im not paying the new price.(- my discount) Cause if I am they will here a few curse words. Because i would have ordered them along time ago if it wasn't for the elites not beeing ready.

Derek
02-16-2003, 08:17 PM
wow i missed alot:cool:

Evan
02-16-2003, 08:24 PM
lol this thread is funny. Someone says 2 bad words about elka and a million people come running to defend them no matter that they have more trouble than any other shock company out there. I swear there is a elka bandwagon here, it goes around all the time waiting for people to hop on. Aint it funny, before the quadshop was a sponsor, no one hardly knew about elka, then jeff comes on here raving about how good they are,,no offense to jeff, but he races XC all of the sudden, theres a people going crazy over elka, you wanna know why he proably runs and promotes elka, Im sure since hes a dealer, he gets some kind of kickback for how many shocks he sells, so its money in the pocket for him. Along with some other person, told me the reason he runs elka is because he gets them for FREE!(this is what he said) Hmm lets see, I guess I would run elka too no matter if they had problems. ok maybe im going overboard here. Valving makes the shock right?? Lets see how many people here could actually benifit from valving such as PEP?? very few, that brings it down to quality of the shock, and customer service. Shock quality?? there is only 2 at the top, you get what you pay for, motowoz and axis. Customer service?? TCS and axis and possibly motowoz seem to be on top here. And for those of you sayin oh its a one time thing for elka,, BS Ive seen way to many posts and witnessed way to many things go wrong with elka for that to be true. You dont want me to post the things Ive seen go wrong with them... Ive ridden on every shock but PEP and have both TCS and axis. Axis rear shock is not a bad deal really for the money and qualiity, its pretty cheap. Granted the fronts seem a lil over priced and awhile back I kinda bashed them for being soft, now that I look back on it, it was more than likely motojoes fault, they couldnt seem to get anything straight n my order and more than once called me back wondering what I had oredered so maybe they set the fronts for standard aarms. I had no complaints about the rear. My TCS work like a charm and I have no complaints about them. The customer service on both is great, I called axis and they talked to me for a half an hr about my shocks trying to help me get them setup, even offered to re set them up, but I was in the middle of the season and didnt do it. Same thing for TCS, they serviced my shocks in less than 2 weeks very good service.

Derek
02-16-2003, 08:27 PM
yea this thread is so long because alot of people think there ***** dont stink. Some have very valid points but others just are brand loyal.

trx400ex
02-16-2003, 08:35 PM
I dont know about you guys, but i want to see whats up with the woz shocks. Not that im gonna be able to dsih out that $$ for another set.

Dave400ex
02-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Dang some of you Guys are really getting into this Thread. Just get what brand you like.

I agree with TRX400EX about the Moto Woz shocks. I want to see what they are all about. If they only were cheaper...

02-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider
Valving makes the shock right?? Lets see how many people here could actually benifit from valving such as PEP?? very few, that brings it down to quality of the shock, and customer service. Shock quality?? there is only 2 at the top, you get what you pay for, motowoz and axis. Customer service?? TCS and axis and possibly motowoz seem to be on top here.

Shock quality. What is wrong with peps parts and assembly? Im not saying there the best cuz there is always better out there im just curious as to what makes axis better and what pep is using that is not up to other companies.

Also i think pep has by far the best customer service i have dealt with. before i ordered mine i called up axis, and pep. Pep answered all my questions and more. axis was fine on the phone but pep was much more friendly and helpful. I have not talked to tcs or motowoz so i cant give an opinion on that. just my 2 cents:blah

QuadRacer041
02-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by mxracer89
i bought my quad with elkas on them and was like all right i will give them a trie and now i love them. they are set up for a 250 pound guy and im only 150 and still works great

if the shocks were set up for 250pounds, and your a 150 and they work awsome....thats a big valving problem if you ask me.if they're so good for you at 150 how could they work for someone who is 250??????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

02-17-2003, 01:44 AM
if they're so good for you at 150 how could they work for someone who is 250??????

I was thinking the same thing but then remembered about the problems Elka was having a couple years ago with under valving (too soft and would bottom easily) their XC set ups as well as the overvalving (way too hard and harsh) the MX stuff.

I know this was corrected a long ways back and dont want to confuse the main subject of the thread etc but it does apply to the above post.

QuadTrix6
02-17-2003, 09:59 AM
after reading this thread i gotta say im happy i went with PEP, thanks Lou, after riding on them this week i can't seem to think that ne thing can be better im very pleased :cool:

Team Country
02-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
I dont know about you guys, but i want to see whats up with the woz shocks. Not that im gonna be able to dsih out that $$ for another set.

I've got a set coming. I'll let you know. Pm me in about a month.

MX26
02-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Evan, Very well put. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Elka does make a good shock, but their recent price hike is ridiculous. Jeff quoted me $741 for the front Triple Rate SSD's, and they're worth every penny of it. Now that the LT Elka front end is over $1000, no way.

I do agree with Pappy - Having a dealership backing you is a very nice thing. If TQS or C&D backed me, I'd run Elka's too. A hard-up MX racer knows that to make it, you have to watch every penny because something always goes wrong and time is money.

A person cannot market and sell a shock on quality alone; Customer service must go along with it. I will spend more money with someone who is willing to sit on the phone and talk to me, and answer my questions than someone who acts like it's a chore just to answer the phone. I think everyone who's followed the MotoWoz posts on this board know that Jesse is the type of person to answer your questions if he can, and that makes them worth it to me.

cdalejef
02-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by quad041
also it seems that elka lets companies like the quadshop(nothing against QS just using them as an example) set up there shocks, and i correct in saying this????it just seems from what ive read here in other posts thats how it works, if i am worng please let me know.
but that being said the problem with set up may not be elka's fault.
does anyone agree/disagree?? Elka sets the shocks up, not the dealers. The only time we set them up is when someone wants something changed on ones that they already own!
99% of the time, the people that complain are the people that don't even own the product!!!

02-17-2003, 01:51 PM
after reading this thread i gotta say im happy i went with PEP, thanks Lou, after riding on them this week i can't seem to think that ne thing can be better im very pleased

Sorry to rag on ya man (I know your OK so dont take it personal LOL) But this is what drives me friggin nuts on suspension. Not many people know WTF their talking about, and how can anyone make statements on how what they have is better or worse than something thats unknown or they never tried.

I went through a lot of research and questioning to try and decide on what shocks and aarms to get for the 400 and what I got was 95% BS and 5% real info.

Glad your happy with your PEPs and hope they perform well for you (do let me know if you have any probs or questions on set up cause it neve just bolt on and your done)

Elka does make a good shock, but their recent price hike is ridiculous. Jeff quoted me $741 for the front Triple Rate SSD's, and they're worth every penny of it. Now that the LT Elka front end is over $1000, no way. The triple rate price sounds about right but like my sig says "its gotta be C&D" and I would look into talking to Colby about the LT set up.

For those who are interested my original thought was Roll and Axis for the front end, and you see what I went with so if your interested in LT talk to C&D and let them tell you why I went Houser/Elka.

Shock quality. What is wrong with peps parts and assembly? Im not saying there the best cuz there is always better out there im just curious as to what makes axis better and what pep is using that is not up to other companies.
I am still sticking to the major difference between the name brands is set up but am also condifering the main advantage to axis and pep etc is name recognition. So if more people like the higher priced axis they must be better :rolleyes: NOT!!!

pep..axis...works...tcs...elka.....last time i checked they were all run by human beings......and the last man to walk on water was 2000 years ago. And he didnt need any special shocks to do it either :)

my elkas are perfect, I like my elk'a a lot but I aint beleiving that yours are perfect anymore than I am believing the guys with PEP's and axis saying the same thing.

No dis but I think maybe you (and the others also) dont have any idea what perfect is. If you did you would be telling us about the changes and adjustments you did to make them that much better.

i kinda simpathize(sp?) with him a little, last year aoround this time a had a little trouble with and after market frame(which i shall not name) and a mail order company(which i will also not name), and although when it was all said and done like 4 months later i had a full refund, i am still very bitter about it. Lou I think you are short changing us by not telling us which frame (wasnt it from K&K?) you had the problem and 4 month wait to get straighten out. We rely on sharing our experiences (just like the one in this thread) to help us know what to ask and expect with future purchases etc.

Your right this guy is getting a lot of heat because so many of the members here have Elka, but even I have had to give up some more "legit" info when called to the carpet and thats whats missing here.

What hardware was missing? Were the shocks returned to elka to be revalved after the spring change failed to correct the problem etc. I have heard and seen problems like this on every shock I have knowledge of so I dont think its anything unusuall but still needs to be corrected.

A person cannot market and sell a shock on quality alone; Customer service must go along with it. I will spend more money with someone who is willing to sit on the phone and talk to me, and answer my questions than someone who acts like it's a chore just to answer the phone. Agreed its a complete package. The fact that I have received excelent service before and after the sale from the my dealer C&D and both Houser and Elka is why I would recomend them to anyone.

I think they're presented with Elka's because Elka has one of the best looking shocks out there. That's not saying anything about the quality of the product at all, just the appearance. I think your opinion is as biased as anyone elses. If its looks alone the chromed PEPs are without a doubt the trickest looking. Not that I know what these peoples decisions were based on but at least I am willing to admit that I could only guess that it would be based on performance, factory support and any deals that were worked out.

yea this thread is so long because alot of people think there ***** dont stink. Some have very valid points but others just are brand loyal. Your so right and it all stinks just some like the smell of their own, kind of like believing your own lies :) Brand loyalty is one of the biggest problems with getting accurate info on shocks, not knowing how a shock is supposed to perform is another.

Aint it funny, before the quadshop was a sponsor, no one hardly knew about elka, then jeff comes on here raving about how good they are,,no offense to jeff, but he races XC all of the sudden, theres a people going crazy over elka, you wanna know why he proably runs and promotes elka, Im sure since hes a dealer, he gets some kind of kickback for how many shocks he sells, so its money in the pocket for him. Along with some other person, told me the reason he runs elka is because he gets them for FREE!(this is what he said) Hmm lets see, I guess I would run elka too no matter if they had problems. In defense of Jeff I dont believe he would be running a shock that jarred his fillings out or bottomed over every little bump even if they were free. I am sure any of us would try some free product but I dont think many would be running them for years if they didnt perform. BTW that was a pretty good shot at Jeffs integrity and I think you should be practicing some "sorrys" for posting that crap.

If any of you find a person promoting his companies products unusuall you got trouble well beyond shocks.

i geuss being on the other end of problems like these makes me biased. this type of problem is all the more reason to deal with a supplier that works with you. if i have a vendor that i purchase from....they tend to have better lines of communication with the supplier and therefore if a problem arises its handled correctly and much faster then dealing with the company direct I have to agree and I have had the dealer involved with most set up,probs or changes etc and this has helped as well as approaching any problems as a joint effort between all parties and put their problem solving abilities to work.

I am currently looking at some potential valving changes to my set up to get things closer to 100% and have enough measurements and info avail to build a friggin building but it needs to be done right and there are many variables that the set up person needs every little bit of info. I have heard of some shock companies only looking for 4 or 5 major bitts of info before setting up your shocks initially, and others wanting over a dozen.

Now since this is not the initial set up I need to give the company all the info on ride heigt and feedback from the current suspension set up etc as well as what I am looking for as a change or correcting anything from where it is now.

What I am beginning to "feel" is that there are some real different requirements on shocks within the same frame depending on the rear shock, ride heights, shock lengths, rider ability, type of usuage, tire and wheel size and weight and even things as simple as chain adjustment and swing arm bearing condition. So thre is a lot to consider when setting thngs up.

Enough ranting for now and I hope I didnt pisss of everyone but this sugject just gets me nuts and there is no easy answer.

cdalejef
02-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Quote: "Aint it funny, before the quadshop was a sponsor, no one hardly knew about elka, then jeff comes on here raving about how good they are,,no offense to jeff, but he races XC all of the sudden, theres a people going crazy over elka, you wanna know why he proably runs and promotes elka, Im sure since hes a dealer, he gets some kind of kickback for how many shocks he sells, so its money in the pocket for him. Along with some other person, told me the reason he runs elka is because he gets them for FREE!(this is what he said) Hmm lets see, I guess I would run elka too no matter if they had problems."

I have run Works, White Power, Ohlins, Axis and Elka in my 15 year's racing XC and yes, even MX! Elka and Axis preform very similar but I like the fit and finish of Elka's better. No, I do not get paid (or get kickbacks) to advertise for Elka. I just state what I believe in!!! I can get just about any shocks free that I send a resume too...but I choose Elka because I believe they are the best!!!

Evan
02-17-2003, 04:15 PM
lol youve never run PEP, motowoz's shocks but yet you say elka "is the best" Of those shocks you named, only axis and elka are anywhere close, the others are good but not in the same class. I wont go into other details that I think are funny, but let me put it like this, what your saying is, lets use the raptor for example, it had problems, quirks etc. That raptor "is the best" motorcrosser out there after all the problems are fixed, its been widend and tranny replaced, along with who knows what else will break along the way. When its performing at its best, its an awesome machine, but many times it has problems, same with elka. I guess its your opinion that elkas "are the best" so be it, but lots of peeps have problems with em. Only shock on this board you here of having problems, aint that funny. Seals dont just magically blow, neither do steel braided lines, explain that to me.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-17-2003, 04:21 PM
lol youve never run PEP, motowoz's shocks but yet you say elka "is the best" Of those shocks you named, only axis and elka are anywhere close, the others are good but not in the same class. I wont go into other details that I think are funny, but let me put it like this, what your saying is, lets use the raptor for example, it had problems, quirks etc. That raptor "is the best" motorcrosser out there after all the problems are fixed, its been widend and tranny replaced, along with who knows what else will break along the way. When its performing at its best, its an awesome machine, but many times it has problems, same with elka. I guess its your opinion that elkas "are the best" so be it, but lots of peeps have problems with em. Only shock on this board you here of having problems, aint that funny. Seals dont just magically blow, neither do steel braided lines, explain that to me.

I was just going to point this out as well. Jeff, how can you say their "the best" when you have yet to try some other shocks in the same league...:cough: PEP, TCS, Motowoz, etc., etc. :cough: For all you know, PEP (using as an example) could be all that of Elka's plus more...oh well...

QuadRacer041
02-17-2003, 04:24 PM
jeff,
ok i wasnt sure if you guys setup the shocks or not thats what i was asking, i knew that u did the service,but wanst sure about the build, now i know, haha thanks.

lenny,
the reason i didnt mention names is because we have went through it a bunch of times here and it just opens a huge can on worms, but the frame was a gibson and the company was k&k, ig you want the details u can do a search, its a long story.

MX26
02-17-2003, 04:38 PM
I think your opinion is as biased as anyone elses. If its looks alone the chromed PEPs are without a doubt the trickest looking. Not that I know what these peoples decisions were based on but at least I am willing to admit that I could only guess that it would be based on performance, factory support and any deals that were worked out.

How the hel! is that biased? I stated that I think Elka makes a good looking shock... To be biased, I would think that I'd represent Elka to the very end, but I don't. Reread a few of my posts buddy. I'm sure you have the time....

QuadTrix6
02-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Sorry to rag on ya man (I know your OK so dont take it personal LOL) But this is what drives me friggin nuts on suspension. Not many people know WTF their talking about, and how can anyone make statements on how what they have is better or worse than something thats unknown or they never tried.

I went through a lot of research and questioning to try and decide on what shocks and aarms to get for the 400 and what I got was 95% BS and 5% real info.

Glad your happy with your PEPs and hope they perform well for you (do let me know if you have any probs or questions on set up cause it neve just bolt on and your done)

I dont mean to sound like im bashing other shock companies and saying pep is the best. Im just very pleased with mine. i know there is a lot of BS out there :cool:

02-17-2003, 06:24 PM
This thread is still goin????????????:huh

MX26
02-17-2003, 06:36 PM
I guess these Elka guys are almost as stubborn as Raptor riders :rolleyes: :D :macho

02-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MX26
I guess these Elka guys are almost as stubborn as Raptor riders :rolleyes: :D :macho

Hee yaaa hee yaaaa :blah

J25
02-17-2003, 06:46 PM
ok wut the price of the stadium works , pep, elka and axis

02-17-2003, 07:08 PM
PEP - Tripple rate plus ZPS spring, compression adjust with remote rezzys - $895

Elka - Tripple rate including SSD spring, compression adjust, piggy back or remote rezzies - $895

Axis - Tripple rate, compression adjust, remote rezzies. - $1,025

TCS - Tripple rate, zero preload, comp adjust, remote rezzies - $750

Prices are standard travel

ESR250R
02-17-2003, 07:12 PM
dont forget that pep longtravel shocks are the same price as there standard travel shocks. on the other hand elka long travel shocks are close to the price of those axis shocks. who know how much there elites are gonna cost...

Dave400ex
02-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Also a guy told me that he called TCS and their shocks are now only $750. Plus they are the same for LT too.

shook
02-17-2003, 08:24 PM
AXIS trip rates comp adjust remote rezzies if you shop you can get them for $1025.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Also a guy told me that he called TCS and their shocks are now only $750. Plus they are the same for LT too.

Hmmmm....I'm really tempted to try them out :D

raptor_02
02-17-2003, 10:17 PM
just ordered me some ELKAS today from the QUAD SHOP. In about 2 weeks, i'll be ordering my rear ELKA from the QUAD SHOP. :D

dhines
02-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Having read this thread, I thought I'd chirp up with my own bit of Elka bias...

While I am certain that Elka has made mistakes in building their shocks - heck I've had to have them send me new springs on one of my sets - I can honestly say that I have rarely worked with a company that stands behind their products as well as they do. Not only are they always willing to fix any problems, they do so without the attitude you get from so many other companies when you call to complain. Marc and Martin and the rest of the guys up there are some of the nicest people you will ever care to do business with.

For any of you who have bought products from as many different people in this industry as I have, you can appreciate the fact that for some reason most of the vendors out there don't give a whit for customer service. I have stated several times before on this board how there are simply too many good ole boys out there who decide to open up a shop and start making/selling products without having an ounce of business sense and who consistently treat their customers as if they're just a necessary evil (at best). I personally won't give those types my business - regardless of how good of a shock, engine, etc. builder they are.

Not only does Elka make really good shocks - they also really know how to take care of their customers. I am willing to deal with the occasional mistake and will even pay a higher price for a comparable product to do business with a company like that. That's why I'll likely be riding/racing with Elka for a long time to come.

Best,

Dennis

02-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Well I put up a another long one with a bunch of flames so I am not sure if it got edited or my crappy PC did it again. Anyhow here is the basics.

lol youve never run PEP, motowoz's shocks but yet you say elka "is the best" Of those shocks you named, only axis and elka are anywhere close, the others are good but not in the same class. I wont go into other details that I think are funny, but let me put it like this, what your saying is, lets use the raptor for example, Dude your shot. Did you even look at what he said or did you just twist it to read that elka is the best? What I saw was that Jeff was making a comparison and offer his experiences or opinions between brands other than Peps and your beloved and unknown Mowozz's, so I dont get WTF your point was if you had one.

How the hel! is that biased? I stated that I think Elka makes a good looking shock... To be biased, I would think that I'd represent Elka to the very end, but I don't. Reread a few of my posts buddy. I'm sure you have the time.... Maybe were not understanding each other posts. I thought that was biased by the fact you insinuated (or thats what I got from it) in your post that the only reason the chassis builders and successfull racers were showing there machines or products with Elka's was due to the fact they were perty and had nothing to do with performance. I did read your other posts and stuff and just thought this was off. If I had misunderstood you sorry for the confusion.

I dont mean to sound like im bashing other shock companies and saying pep is the best. Im just very pleased with mine. i know there is a lot of BS out there Hey man sorry to jump all over that post but its just a real pain to try and get info on these damn parts and I had spent about four or five months trying this time last year and basically found that if I wanted to get any comparison info I would have to buy all the brands I was interested in and do it myself. I had even tried to get a used pair of Steelers from Christian paul at a good price just so I could make a thread on the differences between them and the elka's. Well I am still waiting for the POS there to call me back and its over ten months so I guess I wont be able to compare them well. I guess its just a sore point with me.

This shock is better than that shock stuff is all just BS. I cant think that between Axis, Elka, Pep, Tcs and yes even Works you couldnt find a shock that would fit your needs and budget. Sure there are differences between all of them and I dont think any of those differences are as major as we have been told or lead to believe. Sure there are different types of valving but would the average rec rider even know the diff if the internal valving is a shimstack or ball valve much less which slightly different style shim is used? I seriously dont think so.

I think the main thing to be interested in is finding a shock you are happy with the basic info you can find and a price you can afford etc. supplied by a company you have confidence and trust in. Remember to talk with the reps of the shocks about what you want to do with them and how you ride etc and listen to what they say because you may not really want the best most expensive shock out there.

I find it funny that most people I have talked to with aftermarket shocks dont even understand the basics on how to adjust them to their riding styles and terrain etc. and the same people spent more time deciding on what to buy than how to set them up properly. I think this is a problem and if you think you could get more from your shocks with diff or better adjustments I would call the place you got them from and start talking about what the problems are and get them worked out.

I understand that proper set up is not only very important but also extremely confusing and time consumeing but its also the only way your suspension is going to show you maximum plushness and top performance. There is a current thread titled suspension101 and I would say if you have the time give it a look over.
There are so many variables to getting the suspensions set up on these things that you cant seriously expect any shock mfg to get it 100% right every time and I dont and didnt expect anyware near that from any of the brands I was looking at. Sure they can make adjustments to the spring rates and valving based on what info they have but you need to install it all dial it in to your riding area etc and this may still need more than just comp and reb adjustments to be right. What I mean by that is the preloads and ride heights and the weight bias and load transfers from front to rear. There is a reason the top pro's machines handle better than the average amature or weekend warrior and thats from the proper set up (Talent is a very big part of it also) which is almost a science.
Consider that with a set up similiar to mine that is night and day different from the std 16" front ends, that there are additional problems that now arise from the additional travel of the front end. I am beginning to believe that this is why the LT rears are becoming so popular (exteme and others with the LT rear feel free to offer some info on this and your findings if you could) and correct the problem of the front out performing the rear (its more complicated than that).

As far as those looking at price as a major factor I am with you here and I was looking at "value" as a decision tool as well as quality, performance and service. I was seriously looking at the Axis/Roll combo and just couldnt bring myself to paying over a $1000.00 more than what I ended up with. I think all the brands I was looking at (most all of the ones talked about here) were very high on quality and performance so that left two deciding factors service and price.
I have to tell you that I believe that PEP has a great product and have never heard anything negative on them or Baldwin but I couldnt bring myself to believe that waiting 4-8 months could equal superior service so I had narrowed it down to Axis or Elka. there was some questions as to Elka's quality as they were still not very well known or popular over a year ago and luckilly I had a chance to ride an ex riders quad that had them on stock arms. They were very well made and showed a major performance gain over stk and even above the Steelers equiped machines I had rode b4 so I was impressed enough to finally make a decision.

The discounted price for both the LT fronts and Elka rear were about $100.00-$250.00 above the prices I was being quoted for the Axis fronts alone so that made the final decision very easy, Good quality, great performance, nice touches on fit and finish etc and priced right with excelent service from both the dealer and the mfg and Elka had my business.

BTW the suspension is still not 100% and there are always gonna be changes in settings etc but after about 8months I have to say that I am extremely happy with my decision and now have become so spoiled that I cant even enjoy riding a stk suspended quad, and even some aftermarket shock modded ones.

Sorry for the length but I wanted to put it all out there.

cdalejef
02-18-2003, 08:41 PM
lol youve never run PEP, motowoz's shocks but yet you say elka "is the best" Of those shocks you named, only axis and elka are anywhere close, the others are good but not in the same class. I wont go into other details that I think are funny, but let me put it like this, what your saying is, lets use the raptor for example, it had problems, quirks etc. That raptor "is the best" motorcrosser out there after all the problems are fixed, its been widend and tranny replaced, along with who knows what else will break along the way. When its performing at its best, its an awesome machine, but many times it has problems, same with elka. I guess its your opinion that elkas "are the best" so be it, but lots of peeps have problems with em. Only shock on this board you here of having problems, aint that funny. Seals dont just magically blow, neither do steel braided lines, explain that to me. The reason I didn't include PEP is because of some issues that I don't like about them that I won't go into. Marty has a pile of blown seal heads in a box from every shock manuf. there is so don't even go there. I have also seen hoses blow and bodies expand on the other models as well. Parts fail no matter who makes them! Its a fact of life!!!
Motowoz's are new and I have not even seen a set in person so I can't comment on them.

cdalejef
02-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
I was just going to point this out as well. Jeff, how can you say their "the best" when you have yet to try some other shocks in the same league...:cough: PEP, TCS, Motowoz, etc., etc. :cough: For all you know, PEP (using as an example) could be all that of Elka's plus more...oh well... I left Motowoz out because they are too new and I don't know much about them. I have ridden on everybrand you have mentioned and I still stand behind my statement "I believe Elka's are the best"

02-19-2003, 09:11 AM
I can't beleive I'm actually gonna reply to this post..:rolleyes:

God forbid a 15 year racing veteran state his opinion and someone that's only been dealing with ATV's for 5 - 9 years or probably less doubt his experience or knowledge...some of you really do need to get a clue or better yet..reach back with your right hand and pull your head out of your arse for at least 1 day out of the year....

I"m not pointing fingers at anyone....if you think i'm talking to you..then I guess I am,,if you think I'm not talking to you then your also correct..figure it out on your own...:blah :macho

Do like I did and get away from this site for a few days or a week and them come out here and look at how retarded 1/2 the threads out here are...:rolleyes:

Extremeracer167
02-19-2003, 09:17 AM
yeah out of all the ppl u guys want to doubt on suspension u pick jeff:confused: The guy is the one that ALL of you turned to for questions, now its like his opinions are like your *********s, they stink. Comon, Jeff would be the first one i would go to if i need to ask some susp. questions. he knows his $hit, so i would quite knockin him, becuase u never know when u are gonna need some help. Im sure Jeff is above that and would help u anyways, but i know i wouldnt. Since u guys do know everything about all the new shocks:rolleyes: In fact, since u guys know everything about the shocks, why dont u just start making your own, since no company out there can make u happy. They are either to cheap for your quad, or too much money.

sorry had to vent.:D

Doibugu2
02-19-2003, 09:29 AM

Do like I did and get away from this site for a few days or a week and them come out here and look at how retarded 1/2 the threads out here are...:rolleyes:

Are you calling me retarded?:grr I thought we were friends:confused:

LMAO:chinese:

Extremeracer167
02-19-2003, 09:31 AM
i dont need any time off the site and i see how retarded half of them are. "What can i do to make my 300 beat a 416?" GET A BIGGER QUAD!!!!! lol. or the 8 bazillion "what is the best shock" thread. i usually take saturday and sunday off from the computer, it keeps me in check with reality, lol

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I left Motowoz out because they are too new and I don't know much about them. I have ridden on everybrand you have mentioned and I still stand behind my statement "I believe Elka's are the best"

I guess I took your words a little too strongly then or something...when I read your post the first time you made it sound like you only tried a couple brands of shocks, but now you say you tried others as well so that clears things up a bit :)

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
The reason I didn't include PEP is because of some issues that I don't like about them that I won't go into.

i believe Dana Creech would disagree with you, before buying shocks i talked with him and he told me that he has rode every shock company out there and even before he was sponsored he would ONLY ride PEP. im just curious but have you ridden MX on the PEP shocks that you have rode on ? i have rode both elka and works shocks that were setup for a rider close to my self and they don't even come close to PEP..this is all comparisons on a MX setup, i have heard that elka are much better for Cross Country than MX though. and they were all standard travel..JMO :macho

Doibugu2
02-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
i believe Dana Creech would disagree with you, before buying shocks i talked with him and he told me that he has rode every shock company out there and even before he was sponsored he would ONLY ride PEP. im just curious but have you ridden MX on the PEP shocks that you have rode on ? i have rode both elka and works shocks that were setup for a rider close to my self and they don't even come close to PEP..JMO :macho

Don't you realize the Jeff rides GNCC. Thats may be why Jeff likes Elkas and Dana likes Pep's.

Why don't you guys understand that there is not one shock that is going to work perfect for everyone. Different strokes for different folks. Does everyone ride the same? No, so that is probably why everyone has there preferance on shocks. Is the same stupid arguement about trucks, Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

Give it an F'n rest.

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 10:52 AM
sorry i was still editing my thread as you were replying, and im just stating an opinion if you don't agree than thats fine :macho

my opinion..PEP is the BEST for MX, and if there not the best i don't care cause there good enough for me

take it or leave it :D

cdalejef
02-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
I guess I took your words a little too strongly then or something...when I read your post the first time you made it sound like you only tried a couple brands of shocks, but now you say you tried others as well so that clears things up a bit :) The ones that I listed were ones that I have owned...I have ridden on every brand except the new Motwoz.
I'm not mad at anyone over this:cool: I'm pretty layed back..it takes alot to make me mad!:macho

cdalejef
02-19-2003, 11:06 AM
i believe Dana Creech would disagree with you, before buying shocks i talked with him and he told me that he has rode every shock company out there and even before he was sponsored he would ONLY ride PEP. im just curious but have you ridden MX on the PEP shocks that you have rode on ? i have rode both elka and works shocks that were setup for a rider close to my self and they don't even come close to PEP..this is all comparisons on a MX setup, i have heard that elka are much better for Cross Country than MX though. and they were all standard travel..JMO :macho I'm sure he loves them....just a couple things that I don't like about them for me.
I can't wait to see what Doug Gust has to say about Elka's this year.

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Don't you realize the Jeff rides GNCC. Thats may be why Jeff likes Elkas and Dana likes Pep's.

Why don't you guys understand that there is not one shock that is going to work perfect for everyone. Different strokes for different folks. Does everyone ride the same? No, so that is probably why everyone has there preferance on shocks. Is the same stupid arguement about trucks, Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

Give it an F'n rest.

jeff rode MX as well :rolleyes:

jeff how many spring are on the Elka "tripple" rates ? not including the SSD spring wich is just for sagging..

ranger400ex
02-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey Jeff, can I trade my Elka's in for the stock Yammy Wolverine shocks? based on what I am hearing the Elka's suck, and I here that Axis helped design the wolverine shocks.:eek: :eek: how much will the trade cost me? If not, anyone want to buy a set of Elka TR w/ssd Comp adj. fronts and full out rear shock? I will sell them all for $50obo shipped, they are too stiff and too soft and after sending them back almost 75times I can no longer afford to get them right. I might consider a trade for a used tampon w/string. If not I guess they will make ok paperweights

LOL

Different strokes for different folks, and I would take any kind of stroke right now!!!

BEN:D

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
Hey Jeff, can I trade my Elka's in for the stock Yammy Wolverine shocks? based on what I am hearing the Elka's suck, and I here that Axis helped design the wolverine shocks.:eek: :eek: how much will the trade cost me? If not, anyone want to buy a set of Elka TR w/ssd Comp adj. fronts and full out rear shock? I will sell them all for $50obo shipped, they are too stiff and too soft and after sending them back almost 75times I can no longer afford to get them right. I might consider a trade for a used tampon w/string. If not I guess they will make ok paperweights

LOL

Different strokes for different folks, and I would take any kind of stroke right now!!!

BEN:D

LMAO, thats the funniest sh** i have ever heard :eek:

ranger400ex
02-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Sorry guys, the Elka's are sold! I figured for such a junky shock they would still be up for sale by next year.

Rico was nice enough to trade me these for my elka's, and I only had to pay $50 dollars. He is real nice to deal with.

Thanks again Rico.

Here is the pic of the new toys. I believe these are the new Axis/PEP/TCS prototype shocks for the dale. The are .5" long travels with "One Click" preload. They even came in cool package, the new company is called "BIC":eek:

Thanks again Rico!! Jeff@Quadshop is going to be jealous!!!!!! :blah
Ben

cdalejef
02-19-2003, 12:03 PM
jeff rode MX as well :rolleyes:

jeff how many spring are on the Elka "tripple" rates ? not including the SSD spring wich is just for sagging.. Yes, I used to race some local MX...I only do it a couple times a year now. Altho Rico is making me race some MX this year because I'm making him race XC!

There is 1 main spring, 1 600lb spring, and the SSD spring that IS a rate!!! So 3 springs total including the SSD spring.

02-19-2003, 12:23 PM
qaudtrix..I"m guessing you STILL haven't realized that Jeff was riding and racing quads when you was still chitten yeller????? I wouldn't argue with him anymore,,, dude your makin yourself out to be a real turd...;)

Also..Ben your welcome for the deal dude..it worked out perfect..:D

And about the no triple rate deal on any shock with SSD or ZPS spring.

If you count 3 springs then it's triple rate..if you think i'm wrong,,count the springs again and you'll find 3..that's were the term triple rate,,which means 3 springs for those that think different...if you disagree,,before posting count the triple rate shock again and include the SSD spring..what number did you come up with???

Again I can't believe I got back into this thread..:rolleyes: I feel like i"m in the monkey cage throwin my chit at each other along with all the other apes..:huh

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 12:28 PM
first off rico im not arguing, and the rolleyes smiley above wasn't anything to do with jeffs riding experience, it was aimed at doibugu2..lol, i know he has been riding awhile but i am tired of everyone pushing elka...im done posting in this thread cause it is exhausted but if the ssd counts as a spring does that mean my PEP's are "Quadrate" ?

and by the way i don't think i am comming off bad at all :macho

MX26
02-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Red.. White... Blue..

1.. 2.. 3..:confused:

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Red.. White... Blue..

Theres also a tiny silver (I think its silver) spring on PEP ZPS Shocks.

02-19-2003, 12:47 PM
im done posting in this thread cause it is exhausted but if the ssd counts as a spring does that mean my PEP's are "Quadrate" ?

If the spring stays compressed with the shocks off the quad then no.

When you get elka's..the SSD spring is at it's fullest extension..so why would it not be considered a spring. I can't even see the ZPS spring on PEP's..Is it there by mistake???? If it's completely compressed with the shocks off the quad and no wieght on them..what the he11's it doin on there???:confused:

Anywho..yeah I'm done with this joke of a thread too.,.I shoulda locked it down about a week ago when it started out like crap..and here we are toward the end and it still smells like chit in here...:blah :macho :D

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Red.. White... Blue..

ZPS spring is silver at the very top no its not fully compressed when not mounted on the quad, here it is partially compressed and when you sit on it it is completly compressed

02-19-2003, 12:58 PM
here it is partially compressed and when you sit on it it is completly compressed

I've got 20/20 vision and that SOB is compressed in the pic..unless you consider a half a millimeter movement????

I"m confused one why it is there if it's fully compressed.why not put a washer in ther or better yet,,not put it in there at all???

Pappy
02-19-2003, 01:11 PM
right here is the best springs in the world....i havent pc'd them yet....but i can promise you they have made me more money then any pro racer ever has:huh

02-19-2003, 01:16 PM
WOW pappy is that the same springs that poopypants race team uses???

I bet them are the best in the world since them guys use them..were can i get them..and aren't those like 23 different springs combined into one??? Even though I've never raced and just started riding quads last year I think there the best ever..I'm sending you a envelope full of money today..please send them to me ASAP i need them for my race in 4 years from now.....:huh :huh :huh

Pappy
02-19-2003, 01:17 PM
they are single rate...with ssd top and bottom....:p

MSL
02-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Pappy i got a set just like that:D

QuadRacer041
02-19-2003, 01:31 PM
ok, i think its time to lock this baby down, its getting rediculous.
enough bashing every brand of shocks and each other.

:(

QuadTrix6
02-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by quad041
ok, i think its time to lock this baby down, its getting rediculous.
enough bashing every brand of shocks and each other.

:(

yip im done :o

Extremeracer167
02-19-2003, 01:47 PM
i must be reading the wrong post, because i really havent seen any hardcore bashing or anything. just having some fun:confused:

QuadRacer041
02-19-2003, 01:51 PM
i didnt say hardcore bashing,
everyone has been saying the same thing back and forth for about 10 pages now.
i dont think its fun, evryone is just insulting the other.

02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Lou your wish has been granted....:devil