PDA

View Full Version : ESR 310PV that needs more rev/top end

albertp86
02-04-2011, 11:36 PM
I need an opinion. I have a ESR 310 pv,3 mil stroke, race dome, 40.5 carb, trx 9 pipe, 9 port. 13/38 with 21/12/8 8 paddle haulers.

After going to the dunes, I noticed that my bike doesnt quite reach the higher revs/ top end. It has alot of bottom end torque, especially with the pv, but does not rev as high. I was wanting just a tad more top end

Question is, should I have it ported to rev higher?
Can the power valve be the issue with not reving to the top?

I dont want a drag bike because I like to dune 80% of the time, but I was looking to get a little more from the higher gears. I spoke to LED and they said that they would port my cyllinder transfers to get me more upper mid to be able to pull through all of the gears. Not necisarily port the exhaust port. I want reliability as well. Not looking to wrench when Im at the dunes. The reason I am inquiring as well (if I must tell the truth) is because there is this 330 that keeps whooping me buy 2 bikes every time. I pull him from the start but then he runs me down. Any ideas would be great.

albertp86
02-04-2011, 11:46 PM
I was also thinking about the cr ignition and if that would be helpful in my quest to get closer to this 330....

matt250r21
02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I dont know what compression you are running but any easy way to gain top end rev is to lower the compression ratio. Either a new dome or stack base gaskets.

albertp86
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I did notice that when I put the high comp dome that it didn't seem like it pulled as hard in the top end. I think that I am going to go back to pump gas dome but with race fuel to see if it improves.

DnB_racing
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
you might want to get some different tires also with less paddles, that might be dragging you down in the higher gears, just getting a little more traction then your motor is set up for,,,, tires, motor and gears are a balancing act

albertp86
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, I found out what the problem is. The power valve blade came off of the threads and its broke. Thats why I couldnt rev higher. The power valve was not opening up all of the way. I had a hell of alot of bottom and mid, which that was fun and all but wouldnt pick up on the top end. I am taking off the top end and going to send it to ESR to fix me up with a new power valve with the adjustable top screw. I hope this dont happen again. I am not to be wrentching while trying to have fun and ride.

I guess I should have done my homework first before posting a question. Thanks guys for your responses.

leager-n-ky
02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
You can double check this with ESR, but i have heard if you take your PV out, put on one of their block off plates, you will get more rev's for the dunes, or drag race's etc.

albertp86
02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
I didnt know that they had a block off plate option. I will check with them on Monday. Thanks