PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket

Goob
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I have a question guys I got to looking at my sprockets and both of them are wearin they are kinda angling to the right not real bad just enough to be noticeable I was wondering what would cause this or if it was normal my 400 isn't but two years old I bought it new

bigballz400
02-04-2011, 10:34 PM
wear, chain bein loose, not oiling chain , torque, could be casued by a combo of things

CJM
02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Chains probably worn.

Buy a whole kit if you want, I got mine at motosport. DID X-ring and JT sprockets, think it ran me 120. Course you could do the ebay route too.

Proper chain adjustment is key, chain should have about 1.5 inches or so of play from the middle up and down.

Goob
02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm thinkin it could be the chain it's kinda stiff so is the a certain chain I should get

Goob
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
How hard are the sprockets to change and would you recommend goin down to a 14 on front

CJM
02-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Chain should be easy to move, not stiff. If its the stock chain you either need a chain breaker or a grinder with a cutting wheel to get it off, it doesnt have a master link.

Sprocket depends on your riding, going down one tooth gives you lowend but can make make for an unusable first gear or 2nd depending on how your riding style is. Trying it is no big deal, 15 bucks for a front is about what they go for.

Replacing sprockets is easy as pie, remove the chain, undo the bolts on the the sprockets, put new ones on, put chain on and adjust it your done.

Goob
02-04-2011, 11:05 PM
K man thanks one more question what's the difference
Between the did x ring and standard did

CJM
02-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Goob
K man thanks one more question what's the difference
Between the did x ring and standard did

Its a thicker chain with o rings on both sides unlike a standard o ring, seals much better iirc, sposed to last longer. In reality if you keep whatever chain you got lubed up and adjusted it should be fine.

Goob
02-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Another thing I forgot about is I got hung up on a tree a while back and my chain came off and it warped my chain guide on the front and I got it to where I could get one bolt on but the bottom is lightly bent and have been running it ever since and was wondering of thats something I need to get fixed

honda_fan06
02-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Yes that is something you need to fix or replace better to fix it right the first time and not have to worry about it later down the road or having to have your quad down again because you have to work on it. Trust me do it all at one time in the order you prefer and you will feel better about it later when your riding and not spending money.

jake"08"400
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
How much do you ride and did you keep your chain oiled good. Reason I ask I still have the stock chain and sprockets that came on mine and only tightned my chain once and I bought it new in 09. And you have a 400x so its a 2009 model isn't it?

Goob
02-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Yea bought mine new in 09 and I ride Lot I think my problem is I kinda slacked on oiling it and the chain is kinda stiff and also like I said I lost my chain guide on the front but don't know if that would have anything to do with it

jake"08"400
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Yea I ride a good bit but it was prolly the oiling that done it. And the chain guides help helps with a lot of the extra popping the chain would do without them. You going to run a smaller rear sprocket?

Goob
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
I was think bout just goin back stock idk a lot about the gearing I may order a 14 front also and try it I don't want to lose much of my topend what does the reardo

jake"08"400
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken are year models (08-09) unless they changed it in 09, are already 14 tooth. Now I think dropping the rear tooth count increases top speed and raising it lowers top speed.

CJM
02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Heres some good info:

* A SMALLER than stock FRONT sprocket will give you more TORQUE.
* A LARGER than stock FRONT sprocket will give you more SPEED.
* A SMALLER than stock REAR sprocket will give you more SPEED.
* A LARGER than stock REAR sprocket will give you more TORQUE.
* By changing 1 tooth on the FRONT sprocket, that is about equivalent
to changing the REAR sprocket 3 teeth.

Heres a calc to help you choose sprockets as well (change the rpm to 9100) http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

I have an 00 and I run 15/39. For me, with my stage 2 cam i was maxing out 1st and 2nd way to much with a 14t front, 16t front was cool for speed but stunk and 15/38 was ok but not great. Switching to 15/39 should do me.

Goob
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Do u thinking should just stay with stock gearing some I have no motor work done just the sparks key

CJM
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
All in how you ride. For me, I wanted a bit more lowend torque since my cam is really designed for a more mid to upper powerband.

Only way to be sure is to try it tbh, ex: I thought a 14/38 setup would be ideal b/c of the lowend torque-but I found out b/c my enigne tends to make more power higher up in the rpm range it left me with 1st and 2nd rather unusable hitting the limiter alot. OR I tried a 16/38, it worked good and I eliminated the issues the 14/38 setup had with the revving out, but it had no grunt, it was speedy as heck tho.

Gotta weigh your options, I use JT sprockets and a new front is about 25 shipped.