PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Lid

BenHonda400ex
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Kind of stupid question but last time I was riding I pulled out the air filter because the box was really dirty and I noticed that it had like grass on the inside sticking out but I kept dipping it in the water and it wouldn't come out, any suggestions on how to get it out? And one more question, doe's anyone run a K & N Xstream Powerlid or is there a cheaper lid?

CJM
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Grass is inside or outside the filter? Either way, gotta degrease and clean the filter good. You can use all the fancy cleaners or sprays or whatever but some mineral spirits, acetone, or such will degrease it. BUT I much prefer to wash it with dawn dish soap just incase the solvents eat whatever.

As for lids, I run a outerwears pre filter lid. The kind where you must cut a hole in your kid and put the material on and such. Im dying to know if it will allow water in, I dont ride to much where its muddy/watery but this thing has such a tight fabric weave I doubt it would let anything in. I run in sand alot and the box has not one spec. Think it cost me 50 bucks but took 2 weeks to get it.

Nathan91
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
U could run it with no lid, or i have seen a outwears lid that's a bit cheaper. It looks like the filter cover they make but with an outer rim that hooks onto the box

2001400exrida
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm wondering if that outerwears lid still leaks on the sides?

my stock lid leaks, if i ride in the mud, when i get home to look at it, there's almost always stuff in my box. some comes in the snorkel but some doesn't.

CJM
02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I havent ridden in heavy thick arse mud really (dont like it) but I never have anything in the box, its clean as a whistle.

One of the main reasons I chose the outwears kit where you cut the hole and use thier supplied metal clamp you bolt on the lid to hold the filter-over the cheaper velcro lid you can get.

slightlybent47
02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I clean and wash my filter after every ride, just to be sure it breathing clean air.
I run without a lid so it gets dirty pretty quick. I like the stock foam filter and bel-ray foam filter oil with an outer foam filter over that. Yes I know it doesn’t breath as good as some filters do but a filter is just that, a filter and if it’s not doing the job then it can get real expensive real quick. If your filter is in bad shape then just start with a new one and keep it clean, they do wear out over time from washing them out but that’s just part of the sport.

hocman123
02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
I'm wondering if that outerwears lid still leaks on the sides?

my stock lid leaks, if i ride in the mud, when i get home to look at it, there's almost always stuff in my box. some comes in the snorkel but some doesn't.

there is a seal in the air box lid u might be missing or it is bad it should not get in through the lid at all and when u put on outwears u use the same lid u just cut a big hole in it

BenHonda400ex
02-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Grass is inside or outside the filter? Either way, gotta degrease and clean the filter good. You can use all the fancy cleaners or sprays or whatever but some mineral spirits, acetone, or such will degrease it. BUT I much prefer to wash it with dawn dish soap just incase the solvents eat whatever.

As for lids, I run a outerwears pre filter lid. The kind where you must cut a hole in your kid and put the material on and such. Im dying to know if it will allow water in, I dont ride to much where its muddy/watery but this thing has such a tight fabric weave I doubt it would let anything in. I run in sand alot and the box has not one spec. Think it cost me 50 bucks but took 2 weeks to get it. Yeah some how the grass got inside, I'll probably get a water hose and spray it out when it's not freezing! And where doe's one find this outerwears pre filter lid? Are you talking about the thing that wraps around the filter?

DragonGunner
02-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I run open airbox, K&N filter with outerwear. If really muddy or wet I have a Outwear from Dennis Kirk that velco's over the box. Most dealers an ebay have the outwears to fit ove the filter.

CJM
02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.ehsracing.com/products/400ex_airbox_EHS.htm

Thats what I have. Its not just a prefilter, it opens your air box up. Its quite water and dirt tight too.

If oyur worried aobut mud and want to run a regular lid a new ones like 20 bucks, so you can just swap if need be.

Im quite happy with my airbox lid.

honda400ex2003
02-05-2011, 09:22 AM
ehs gets my vote! I like mine alot, seems to hold back alot of water. I have soaked mine with a hose and had only a couple of drops in my box after not paying attention. steve

BenHonda400ex
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
ehs gets my vote! I like mine alot, seems to hold back alot of water. I have soaked mine with a hose and had only a couple of drops in my box after not paying attention. steve Have you heard anything bad about the velcro lids like this : http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/OUTERWEARS-AIRBOX-COVER/?id=108241&bMMY=HONDA;TRX400EX;2005 there is alot of good comments about it and there's bad ones..

CJM
02-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Velcro wears out when it gets dirty or used alot, I thought about doing the velcro lid and decided against it cause it will eventually fall off due to picking up dirt in the velcro and then you can try and clean it.

The airbox lid one is much better.

honda400ex2003
02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
lol i had a writeup all ready to submit a bit ago and my computer restarted on me before i could finish it. agreed with marc, velcro by itself wont seal as well as an actual lid will and will wear out pretty quick after getting dirty and being pulled off to be cleaned.

for another 20 bucks you can get an ehs lid and have simple on and off along with easy cleaning.

steve