PDA

View Full Version : How important are front blades?

TheLane
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
At the dunes?

UnderFire
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
They are definitely not a necessity, you see just as many people running a dirt tire up front as a blade, I prefer the blade over my stock ex fronts, seems to give me a sharper turning radius and less slide during tighter turns in the sand.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
They are NOT important at all. If you go on occasion, no need to spend the extra money.
I ran my front stockers for a while as I didn't have money to buy blades. After buying some I noticed quite a few things.

Your front brakes work a lot better with dirt tires, for obvious reasons. I could hit my front brake and stop in the middle of sand mountain without using the rear. With blades I sometimes slide with just my front brake and have to use my rear.

Turning is significantly better with blades, not to mention easier. With dirt tires they tend to want to "bite" into the sand, making it harder. The blades only "bite" when you want to turn, so turning is more of a glide so to speak instead of a jerk.

While riding in a straight line I also like the blades because your front end floats better. With dirt tires, even in a straight line, they want to dig down into the sand. If you go from a hard section of sand to soft with dirt tires you can feel it bite down into the softer sand and jerk you forward a bit because of the added friction. With blades it's a nice smooth transition, no jerking forward, etc.

That's just my experience. If you plan on frequenting the dunes I suggest investing in a set for the front. You can generally find a used pair fairly cheap, my first front set was $70 with rims. If you only go maybe once or twice a year at most, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money.

Just my .02, hope it helps.

Edit- and as underfire stated, when you have your bars cranked with dirt tires, they just want to slide forward more than turn. With blades they actually turn you.

standardryder
02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
You dont even really need paddles. Last year I went to little sahara with holeshots all around and did perfectly fine. Even beat by buddies raptor with paddles up sand mountain.

OutlawBill
02-04-2011, 07:25 AM
once or twice a year not needed they due help a lot more on IRS quads. but if you are going to get a set I would go with the Sand Tire Unlimited Razorbacks 22X8X10 on a 6 or 7 inch wide wheel. the extra width helps with keeping the tires on top of the sand and letting the ridge grab the sand for better turning.

bbender85
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
i'm sure all dunes are different due to sand consistency and traffic, but at the dunes here in michigan i had a set of shark fins (mohawk knockoff) and got rid of them. went back to dirt tires. my wife and i both agreed the shark fins tracked horribly in other vehicle tracks and pulled you all over the place. virgin sand is almost non-existent here tho.

TheLane
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
yeah being more of an MX, freestyle guy im not going to even bother, this is my first trip to the dunes and dont see myself going more than 2-3 times a year. So thanks for all the advice guys! any more duning tips would be more than welcome, like any of those "man i wish i knew that earlier" types of things.

bbender85
02-04-2011, 12:39 PM
don't stop pointed up hill. even a very slight hill. :D

OutlawBill
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
yeah being more of an MX, freestyle guy im not going to even bother, this is my first trip to the dunes and dont see myself going more than 2-3 times a year. So thanks for all the advice guys! any more duning tips would be more than welcome, like any of those "man i wish i knew that earlier" types of things. first approach to any crest take at an angle, but not at any of the big hills like Olds, the Wall, barely slide, Comp(not much of a hill) test and Patton hill, If you are the leader of group make a loop every once in a while to count riders. look out for window makers (witches eye) on ridges it will stop you in a second, and Stay out of the closed area's fines up to $1000 and possible loss of your quad to Uncle Sam Buy camping permit and save $100+ fine they will check. Lock up every thing in camp if nobody is staying or it will be gone when you get back. read the rules and fellow they will ticket you in a heart beat

TheLane
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
lol yeah, ive done a little hillclimbing in my time but ive heard horror stories of getting stuck in deep sand.

finsteratv
02-04-2011, 10:56 PM
i have sandstars on all 4 corners of my 400. the front seems to float over the sand better and turning is improved. to the not needing paddles i somewhat agree but ive been in some situtations where they've saved my @$$ haha. if you do buy some make sure you get paddles for your type of riding.

UnderFire
02-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Best tip I can give is turn out of a hill as soon as you lose power at all, because it doesn't take long before your digging your *** out of the sand.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by standardryder
You dont even really need paddles. Last year I went to little sahara with holeshots all around and did perfectly fine. Even beat by buddies raptor with paddles up sand mountain.

Depends on the time of year you go. If you go mid summer when the sand is really soft you won't get up the face on dirt tires. Highly even doubt you'll get up the saddle. Your buddy needs to learn how to ride.