PDA

View Full Version : header

pitbiker2269
02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
my wrapped hmf header for my 250ex

250ex_dan
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
finally something new in the 250exsection:)
looks good man.
have pics of the whole bike..?
did the exhuastand header help the lil 250.?

pitbiker2269
02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
yeah i know its pretty slow around here. i had the header off the bike and the wrap laying around so just put it on and it looks pretty nice. i will have pics of the bike up soon i have the motor out right now because of a long story. the exhaust did help the 250 alot i also did a carb swap. and some other mods.

Baileygunns
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Bro... I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" but you should really soak that wrap in water then wrap it as TIGHT as possible... It kind looks loose in the picture an you will loose the effectiveness of the wrap that way... You want the wrap to be as tight as possible with no gaps what so ever. And those plastic zip-ties won’t last but a minute or two before they melt off, the wrap still gets HOT... Use some metal band clamps, they are about 50 cents a piece at the hardware store..

On a side note, the HMF pipe is nice on the 250EX.. I put one on my Wife’s bike. Sounds AWESOME and for sure added some power.

pitbiker2269
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
yeah your right this is my first time using this wrap and i just wanted to test fit it and see how it looks. i am going to redo it soon. the zip ties were just temporary but i will be picking up some of those straps soon.

Baileygunns
02-04-2011, 03:01 PM
The best way to do it is to start at the rear of the pipe and work your way to the front. Wrap the header wrap around once or twice to start then clamp it and wrap over the clamp to hide it. If you work from the rear to the front the exposed edges of the wrap will be facing to the rear. It will help keep the wrap nice and not get snagged on anything that might rub on it.

After you put the wrap on the bike while it's still wet, start the bike to dry and shrink the wrap (like a new shirt in the dryer). The wrap will smoke and stink for the first few times you run it... They make a header wrap sealant you can spray on it to prolong the life.

Remember after every time you wash the bike or take it out and get the wrap wet, you need to run the bike till the wrap is dry before parking the bike... If you leave it wet it will corrode the header pipe faster.

pitbiker2269
02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I soaked the wrap and then wrapped the pipe. the wrap is alot tighter around the pipe. i also got 2 house clamps to hold on the wrap.

ryanh250ex
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I am a big fan of wraps. However I would first coat the header with VHT Flameproof, then after curing, wrap it while the wrap itself is soaked in water. Then coat the wrap with more VHT.