PDA

View Full Version : Legal Implications of an SX track?

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
So... I am currently mapping out my !PRIVATE! SX track on my land. Here is what I am worried about. I worry about people coming on the land when I am gone on vacation or at college and getting hurt and then filing a lawsuit against my family and I. My parent's own the land and have 5 kids that they have to support, that includes me. I just worry about what could happen if somebody were to sue. What should I do about if I decide to let friends come? I am really clueless here... and if you guys could recommend a good lawyer that has experience in this kind of thing, that would be great!! Please give me help!!

The land is gated and has multiple no trespassing signs that are directed to motorized vehicles and just normal trespass.

Another problem, is that this track is highly visible from a major highway. But not close to the highway. I do also have neighbors that have a perfect visual of the track that have agreed to watch it when i am gone, and to check for tracks and tire marks on it when they feel it is necessary.

trick450r
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
no tresspassing signs are deffinatly essential, I think the best advice anyone on here can give you is find a lawyer.

Personally I let my friends ride on my property, But if I owned a serious track I would probably get an insurance release for everyone to sign.

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Well, i am talking to the home owners insurance guy tomorrow. My dad said we have a $1,000,000 Liability Insurance Policy. Talked to the Police and they said that as long as I do the purple paint, and the occasional no trespass sign, and have a fence and gate that is padlocked when i am gone, he said we shouldn't worry to much.

RATPACK Z400
02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
whats the purple paint? I would have all that ride sign waiver ,thats what I did to ride at guys track down the road.

trailrider894
02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
whats the purple paint? I would have all that ride sign waiver ,thats what I did to ride at guys track down the road.

The purple paint law says that if you put purple paint marks on trees or posts along your property line no less than 100ft apart or 5 feet of the ground, they can replace no trespassing signs.

quad2xtreme
02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
The purple paint law says that if you put purple paint marks on trees or posts along your property line no less than 100ft apart or 5 feet of the ground, they can replace no trespassing signs.

wondered about that...I've seen bright orange strips around trees in either NC or VA. Hard to rip down paint off a tree like the signs.

trailrider894
02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
wondered about that...I've seen bright orange strips around trees in either NC or VA. Hard to rip down paint off a tree like the signs.

Very true... anyone have a good lawyer i can talk to?

Quad18star
02-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Contact a lawyer ... post up the signs or the paint mark substitute.

You'll definately need liability insurance and more than just the minimum. Just remember that even IF you have everything in order, someone can still sue you. A lawyer can tell you about all the loop holes that need to be covered.

CJM
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

I can almost guarantee that has nothing to do with no trespassing since its for surveyors marking property lines

rocketman528
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I would have your parents check into additional liability insurance several companies offer 365 coverage for a track also might check into air evac membership if its in your area its about 1500 annual but will pay all not covered fees for evac that insurance doesn't check with you local track and see if they have and attorney they use. a good wavier will go a long way. most insurance and liability require to fence it off and have a locking gate. also check have a sign in for each day you or your friends ride. it not usually the rider the sews it the health insurance company. i have my own personal track and run a track for a local lions club and have help built a few track for my buddies. its allot of fun and sounds like your going down the right path.

trailrider894
02-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Okay. thanks for the info... I am really excited about all of it!! Just gotta talk to my lawyer and find out what i gotta do. Anybody else have anything to add? I want a good list before i found out.