PDA

View Full Version : jumping

y-man
02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
hey guys whats the best way to learn how to jump good like gaps and stuff im use to table tops and smaller gaps. do you just start out slow and keep going faster each time? thanks

BlaineKaiser450
02-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Just think of it as a table without the middle section. Follow someone else off of it

One_Bad_400
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
always follow someone that you have seen them hit it 100 times. and remember, it almost always better to over jump something than under jump something

02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Hitting jumps wide open always turns out great for me

y-man
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
so just follow them and match their speed ?

witech
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I made my first jump just following another quad about 10 feet behind and doing exactly what he did. After that it was easy .
I think most of its just knowing your machine and how far it will go at a given guestimated speed and learning to drop the front end down for the landing which table tops can help.
Most of it is just nutting up for the first one.

y-man
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
i can jump pretty decent just never have hit a decent size gap

DEVINF450R
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
As long as it's not a huge huge gap or a catapult style jump that tosses you 25+ft into the air, you can kinda flat land in between. Once you jump far enough that your front wheels land at the base of the landing, just click up one more gear with the same amount of throttle and you have a great place to start. I used to do that back when i was starting out

TheLane
02-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I started with super small gaps and eventually you just learn to judge the angle of lips and how they will throw you. Kinda becomes a 6th sense after a while. You should always do as they say on a new jump though, and MAKE DARN SURE your compression is set right, I had too soft of compression for a step up i had never taken before the other day and cased the lip of the take off and nose dived my way to a near death experience. ( I PULLED IT OFF THOUGH! *round of applause for self* thankg god for nerf bars)

DEVINF450R
02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
If you are hitting a jump that is gonna give you serious hang time (like 90+ft national style, 60+ feet catapult sx style), make sure you dont have a major x-wind. I've been blown completely sideways on a 110ft uphill. Wasn't pretty. Same goes for tire pressure. Unequal pressure right vs left = uneven takeoffs

TheLane
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
oh man agreed!!! a lot of new riders dont know how important tire pressure is! i never ever ever run over 6lbs in the back, and thats in case i wanna mess around and drift everywhere, i usually am running 4 front and 4 1/2 in the back. but i run mx tires and rims (9's)

y-man
02-03-2011, 07:30 PM
o no they wont be that big haha i would prob be to scared to hit those haha and i always check my tire preasure before every ride. and hey lane where were you on that ltr i needed help on haha

TheLane
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
What ltr?? (if i remember it was something about buying it right?)If you tried contacting me through any means other than here in the last 3 weeks i havent got it :) i have been moving and good old Qwest here in phoenix is the most efficent ISP ever and i still dont have net but at work! (dont have acess to external email here)

y-man
02-03-2011, 08:37 PM
haha ya was couple weekd ago i posted a pic and was asking for your help on it but its all good i got it:)

TheLane
02-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Ah bummer man im sorry i wasnt able to help. i should have my net up on sat *cross my fingers* if there is anything i can do to help between now and then pm on here.

In the mean time keep jumping and if there is 1 bit of advice i can give on what KILLED me at first is work on taking jumps at different speed and throttle control. I was taking jumps that were 100% wot that werent very big because it was just easy to gun it and go and once it came time to hit things i needed to watch my speed on i had no idea what to do. and also lean how to correct yourself and angle mid air. Start small, learn how to whip early!

y-man
02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
that would be sick if i could whip haha . i still gonna figure out the tapping brake in air and stuff lol

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
02-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I just started out with smaller stuff and progressed bigger. Gaps are the same as a table except you can't really do any slower test runs. I started out on tables and went from there. Of course at the local track here there's only like 3 doubles, all are only 30ft. the rest are all tables that range from 30ft. to 110ft.

TheLane
02-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by y-man
that would be sick if i could whip haha . i still gonna figure out the tapping brake in air and stuff lol

Start practicing! :) i started with just doing push pull in air corrections. using your bodys momentum in air to direct the bike. Same thing with whips, grip your seat with your legs wherever its comfortable and swing your body while applying pressure on your bars in the direction you wanna go, once you do it a few times youll see what i mean.

And unless your doing huge stuff locking your rear break/ fluttering the throttle doesnt have AS big of an impact as it does on a dirt bike from what ive noticed. But im also relatively new to the world of quads, so thats just a few observations ive made.

Biggest jump ive hit has been 60 feet thus far, and i was learning all this on that, and just experimenting over and over.