PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft replacement opinions

eprovenzano
02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
The rod on my 99 400ex is shot. I've had two wristpin failures, which have led to a piston seizures. I've got a lot of play in the rod both up and down, and side to side, so the needle bearings are shot.

I've decided just to replace the crank, but I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible. I'd like to hear opinions on the different cranks available, Wesco, Hotrod, OEM, used cranks, etc.

A new OEM seems a bit pricy, but I've not used anything other then OEM in the past. What is the forum's opinion on the other makes / brands. What about used cranks?. Please keep in mind, that I'll also be replacing the bearing, seals, timing chain (with one from an 02 CRF450), boring out the cylinder, new piston and rings, gaskets, swing arm bolt, swing arm bearings, and a few small items along the way, and as always cash is tight... :(

thanks

nathan89
02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
i would not use a wiseco crank if it was free... hear nothing but bad things about them it seems like... if i was you i would spend the extra $ for the oem crank.

NacsMXer
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Same here, if it was me I would do it right, do it once, and pay extra for the quality and longevity of an OEM crank.

jcs003
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Same here, if it was me I would do it right, do it once, and pay extra for the quality and longevity of an OEM crank.

x2.

OEM all day

PaRedneckRiders
02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
X3 OEM all the way

yellow416ex
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
If cash is tight check with Service Honda. The crank for my crf was almost a hundred bucks cheaper than the local dealer here. Also Rocky mountain atv/mc carries OEM parts now

82toyota
02-02-2011, 05:10 AM
go big or go home....hotrod crank.....just saying.....