PDA

View Full Version : How should I fix this Air Leak?

nathan89
01-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Hey guys, I found an air leak on my motor. Looks like someone tried to use a screwdriver to break the cylinder free from the cases. Take a look at the pic... I circled the damage in yellow. How should I fix this?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/nathan89450r/leak1.jpg

wilkin250r
02-01-2011, 12:25 AM
It's fixable, but it's going to require professional intervention.

I'm thinkin it needs to be TIG welded, to build it up in that spot, then machined flat. The welding can probably be done by almost anybody, but I wouldn't trust the machining to anybody but a true and honest professional machine shop.

You're probably looking at a couple hundred bucks.

jcs003
02-01-2011, 02:11 AM
you are probably better off getting another cylinder.the money and machining will cost you what a good used cylinder will.

unless you got some real nice port work that you think cant be duplicated.

Honda 250r 001
02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Hell id try some gasket maker first! Pull the cylinder off and goop it up! That stuff works wonders. OR you could fill the little pry mark with jb weld. Just use something flat and go over the marks with the cylinder off. You could also try a thicker gasket. Thicker material takes up more gaps and changes.

Grande Huevos
02-01-2011, 08:39 AM
i would second this notion beacause it cant hurt anything u might save ur self alot of money and headach!!! if it doesnt end up working then u spent what another $5 on jb wel or gasket maker!! could even leave it on like it is and smear some 12/11 over the damage???? if u want to go the other rout i have a perfectly fine stock cylinder w a piston low hrs runs great i would sell u for cheap, only took it off cuz i purchased a esr 330 cylinder

derby
02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by nathan89
Hey guys, I found an air leak on my motor. Looks like someone tried to use a screwdriver to break the cylinder free from the cases. Take a look at the pic... I circled the damage in yellow. How should I fix this?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/nathan89450r/leak1.jpg

Oh man not the screw driver:(

Three bond 1211 or what ever the stuff is called will fix you right up.

woodsracer144
02-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I would put a thin layer on JB weld or something along those lines on the gasket surface and then take a light sand paper and a block and sand it down.

just takes a good hand and a good eye.

nathan89
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
thanks guys. im going to try the sealer and a new base gasket first and see if that will work.

TLR-Online
02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Get some "Three Bond 1194", that should do the trick. Its kinda of expensive but works great. You can use it on almost all the gaskets (head, intake, ect)

markk
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
i thould think that the machine would shouldnt be that much for both the cases and the cylinder. I would recomend using a very profesional machine shop. and make sure they use a straight edge.

also like the other guys said i would try gasket maker or threebond first... i would stay away from JB weld. but thats just my opnion.