PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450 Clutch Problem

zukirder93
01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a 2007 yfz450 and about a month ago i changed the oil and put in cheap valvoline. it didnt even say the oil was synthetic. I had about 2 or 3 rides up and down the road before parking it for the 2011 xc buildup. It runs great with no problems. nothing was done to the motor or clutch or tranny. i went to start it today on the jackstand and popped it in 1st and pulled in the clutch and the wheels kept spinning. i played with the adjuster on the clutch lever on the handlebars and it didnt seem to help. A racing buddy told me that i needed better oil because the clutch plates were getting swollen? Im planning on going to get some Klotz/Amsoil/ Bel-Ray tomorrow. If anyone has any way to confirm this it would be greatly appreciated.

quadrider2112
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
dont know bout swelling but I wood pull the clutch apart b4 i did anything. Dont want to change oil and then have to tear down anyway. If its a clutch fiber problem you will contaminate your oil and need to change it anyway and some of the oil you just named is purdy pricey.

If it was me, tear it down if clutches are swelled up get new fibers and do the yz clutch mod while your there. Then get gallon of rotella and some filters. Do one oil change right after you get it good and hot to flush out that bad oil and possible contaminates.

Then stick with rotella and change every ride. Just MO and you know what they say about opinions.

nkillian9
01-31-2011, 11:01 PM
drop that dude off the stand and see if it try to take off when its on the ground or squeeze ur brake in and see if it stalls out youll probally be alright i dont know about clutches sweeling but ive used cheap oil and it pretty much just made my clutches slip the additives in car oils aint good for clutches but i think it more less glazes them and makes them slip not lock up i may be wrong

quadrider2112
02-01-2011, 06:55 AM
the friction modifiers in some oil (most sythetics) causes the clutches to slip

zukirder93
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I didnt have much time to mess with it today but I was able to stop the wheels while they were spinning in 1st gear with the clutch in and it didnt stall. My shocks should be back from JET Motorsports in the next few days. I had them rebuilt. And I think all it is is that bad oil making my clutch slip. So once i put new oil in it should work its way back to normal

nkillian9
02-02-2011, 12:41 AM
it did on mine

ds19
02-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Im pretty sure all quads do this when off the ground. I would def start putting better oil in though if you want it to last.

quadrider2112
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
yep it gonna kinda roll i wood think from the drag of the oil on the clutches. The colder it is the more it wood do it i wood think.