PDA

View Full Version : Swing Arm Bolt

eprovenzano
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
I've been trying to get the swing arm bot out of my 99 400ex. It is the original bolt, and no it's never been out... I've had the quad on its side, supported by jack stand and soaked the bolt down for 10 days... I used a 20 pound sledge.... nothing but a mushroomed bolt. The bolt is fused to the engine case. I've removed all the other fasteners and now can rotate the ending up and down and the bolt will turn. I cannot turn the bolt even with a breaker bar and a long extension.

So I've given up, and decided to cut the bolt. For those who have been down this road, how did you cut the bolt? Did you use a torch, saws all etc.? Also after cutting the bolt, how did you get the bolt out of the engine case?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

CJM
01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Ive heard of sawzall, cutting torch and if your crafty a dremel or a grinder with cut off wheel.

im dreading the day i gotta do mine.

good luck..

250x_kyle
01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
CJM if you can pull it out now do it and put no seize grease on it. its harder on the needle bearings but 50 bucks is better then a few hundered.

did you try spinning the bolt on one end with a neumatic hammer on the other end. and sometimes if you heat it a little with a torch it will free up but you have to be carefull.

CJM
01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I might Kyle, all depends on how froggy im feeling. Its cold as heck here and Im in an unheated garage..

And if I get it out its getting totally replaced, needle bearings and all.

jensenracing77
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
after it has soaked for that long the best thing to try is a good quality air hammer. they work almost every time if it is a good one. you will have to cut off the mushroomed end because it will not go through the tubes or engine. if an air hammer don't work the best way is to take the engine and swingarm out of the frame together. drill the ends of the bolt deep enough to clear the frame and then the engine will turn sideways enough to slide the swingarm out going forward. if i remember right you will have to remove the oil tank. it is not easy to do it but i have done it a couple times. then you need to put the engine and swingarm in a press and press it out. i have yet to see how a saw of any kind will help get the bolt out without cutting something that is not to be cut. it will not fit between the frame and the swingarm.

duroc825
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
More than likely it's not seized at the motor but the sleeve that is between frame and motor on right side. The sleeve and bolt are what tend to get fused together. I made two cuts at right side of motor where this sleeve is and let it drop out. Driving the two pieces of bolt out from each side. Yes an air cut off tool will fit between frame and swingarm with the shock removed. Just be very careful to not cut into the case! I wouldn't recommend using heat. Pretty risky seeing as when aluminum gets too hot it's liquid!

gasguzzler
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I ended up drilling the ends out so it would be loose from the frame. Took a dremel with a few good carbide bits (avail. Menards here for about $9 ea.) and cut through the most exposed part between case and right part of swingarm. Then loosened the motor mounts such that I could rock the engine forward and up to clear the frame and kicked each half out each side.

eprovenzano
02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
I knew this was going to be a pain in the arse to get out, but damn.... :(

Keep the ideas coming, I'm planning (if everthing goes rioght) to get the bolt out over the weekend.

06typeS
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
took mine to a shop and let them deal with it, prob the best 50 bucks i spent. Guy did smack his hand pretty good trying to get it out

BlasterEaten250
02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I used a plasma cutter and cut off the head of the bolt and pushed it out backwards. It worked pretty good because over time if it's not greased it wears a groove into that right side bearing which makes it impossible to take out the normal way...But pretty much slides right out backwards.

CJM
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I hate to gloat but I guess Im VERY lucky.

Some punches a 3lb sledge, some chain lube, some pblaster and WD40 equivilent (crc powerlube) and maybe 10 mins... guess wtf I have in my hand?

http://i52.tinypic.com/awyn7o.jpg

Came out rather easy and it wasnt even lubed up either...

I know, I know I suck and I truly feel sorry for you guys that cant get them out I really, really, do. I guess Im just lucky. I will add, that in order to get the nut/bolt loose I have an impact gun and I also lubed and ran the bolt around at the same time to get it all lubed up good.

2001400exrida
02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
I used a plasma cutter and cut off the head of the bolt and pushed it out backwards. It worked pretty good because over time if it's not greased it wears a groove into that right side bearing which makes it impossible to take out the normal way...But pretty much slides right out backwards.

i also used a plastma cutter. i cut the bolt like 4 times to finally get it out of the motor. it was a PIA.

eprovenzano
02-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Update...

I had to use a torch to cut the bolt. I made two cuts on the right side to make room to push motor to the right. I then cut the left side and removed the engine. I was able to drive bolt on the left side of the frame through without too much problem. I used a cut off wheel to cut the head of the bolt off and drive it through. The swingarm was not free...

I soaked the bearing (or what was left of them) with blaster... I used two sockets and pressed the bearing out of the swingarm with a large vise...

Now the engine... the bolt was still siezsed to the case... I tried everthing I could think of... nothing was working. I decided it best (before I damage something... to take it to a machine shop with a press. I'll drop it off later today.

Well it's not done but progress as been made :)