PDA

View Full Version : Kick/Electric start--Both possible?

Bradracer18
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
I read in a recent post something about having a kick start set up and a battery/electric start. Anyone have any additional information on this? I didn't know this was possible on the 450's.

Thanks,
Brad

Scro
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
On the 04-05 kickers, you can add the Goki electric start kit. On the 06+ electric start models, you can add the kicker parts rather easily. The parts list is in the sticky at the top of the page. If you have the 06+ kicker model, it would be a big task (and big money) to add electric start to it.

Bradracer18
02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Well mine is a kicker, but I think its been converted. I bought it a kicker.

Its an 06 er I think, and I believe the kicker is done my moto-xperts.

So, in order to put electric start on it, I'd have to eliminate my kicker? Mine doesn't seem to kick start very good....so I'm thinking of going the electric start route.

DnB_racing
02-06-2011, 07:52 PM
if its been converted and everything changed it will be a lot of money, but if you still have the original wire harness and cdi and decompressor then it shouldn't be that bad, but first you might want to check your compression and see were its at, and check valve clearance mine has both and stars fine...

but i did bump my starting compression up a little to help with kick starts, but I also have 24volt so the starter has no problems with the higher starting compression

Bradracer18
02-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Well I might have to check those things then. I was told it should start fine....cold/hot...no matter what.

When I get time, I'll start a new thread and find out what all I need to do...and how to do it.

Dave400ex
02-09-2011, 08:29 PM
If it is not starting well as a kicker you have some other issues. Has there been a hotstart added?

K-Dub
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I have an 04, I know different engine but: mine got to starting hard especially under 40 degrees and it was the valves out of adjustment. Adjusted the valves and starts perfect. I have never in 6 years of riding this quad, have had to use the hot start. In fact for the last 4 years the cable is zip tied under the hood. I would make sure my valves are in spec before I did anything. Cause regardless of how it starts it can eventually cause problems.