PDA

View Full Version : 10' camaro ss or 06 ram 2500???

jsracing2
01-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Looking at getting something new. 2010 camaro 2ss 6spd or 2006 dodge 2500 cummins 6 spd

both same price
mostly stock. exhaust on both. both low mileage.

Just taking a poll and wanting input on what people think.

ben300
01-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Both are nice vehicles...

For me personally though, id go with the cummins. The camaro is cool but I personally believe the cummins is a more functional, usable vehicle. You could do more with it and can upgrade it if you feel need be. Plus, the cuummis will last longer, and if maintained well, should have a lot higher resale value.

Jmo. This coming from a ford person who dislikes dodge

One_Bad_400
01-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Cummins - multi-use for everything, reliable, "ok" MPG, bed to haul quad and bricks and fat chicks, sounds better than the camaro

Camaro - not multi-use, not as reliable, "ok" MPG, cant haul quads and bricks and fat chicks, sounds worse than the cummins.

I know what i would get

trailrider894
01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
Cummins - multi-use for everything, reliable, "ok" MPG, bed to haul quad and bricks and fat chicks, sounds better than the camaro

Camaro - not multi-use, not as reliable, "ok" MPG, cant haul quads and bricks and fat chicks, sounds worse than the cummins.

I know what i would get

The Camaro will be reliable.

CJM
01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Neither, find a 99-03 F250/350 powerstroke diesel. The 7.3L cant be beat period.

Cummins is nice, but thats all the dodge has going for it.

trailrider894
01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Neither, find a 99-03 F250/350 powerstroke diesel. The 7.3L cant be beat period.

Ha ha true about the cummins, Get a Duramax!!!!!!!!!!

One_Bad_400
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
when talking reliablility, nothing is as reliable as the cummins or the 7.3 powerstroke

ben300
01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
when talking reliablility, nothing is as reliable as the cummins or the 7.3 powerstroke

The cummins is the benchmark of reliability

426kidz
01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
The real question here is...will I have the money to fix a diesel truck or a gas car??? trust me diesels are exsp in every thing. I would pic up a nice newer f-150 or the f250 4x4's with the 5.4 v8 bad *** trucks and a whole lot cheaper to fix!....and cars are not my thing.:D

Quad18star
01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
real question is .... which will be worth more in 10 years from now?

That should answer your question.

finsteratv
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by CJM

i agree
i come from a ford family but id take the dodge over the chevy anyday. cars are cool for a little bit when you want to go fast but what about when you need to haul your atv or somthing else..

440racer66
01-31-2011, 03:09 PM
forget a powerjoke get the cummins. and camaros wont hold there value like a cummins

CJM
01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
forget a powerjoke get the cummins. and camaros wont hold there value like a cummins

I agree the cummins is a better engine, its just the rest of the entire truck its built around thats crap.

I made a living towing and reparing those dodges, most of the towing was due to trans problems as they are weak. There is a reason even with the cummins they sell for cheaper than a PSD or a duramax. BTW if the PSD was so bad international who makes the engine wouldnt use it in all the smaller trucks they make that run for zillions of miles.

Everyones entitled to thier opinion tho, but when you got some real world experience I think its more accurate.

As for the camaro, still to new and unproven imho. I drove one and felt cramped and the windows suck you cant see out of them very well. I much prefer an older one.

BlaineKaiser450
01-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't know why everyone says dodge bodies are crap.. I have a buddy with one that has over 450,000 miles and it is the same as most cars with 120,000. I see a lot more broken chevys and fords around that Dodges but maybe thats just around here :confused:

Quad18star
01-31-2011, 05:34 PM

I'll disagree . Years down the road, a new era muscle car will be worth than a diesel truck.

Compare prices of a late 80s sports car to a late 80s diesel truck. Which is most sought after and worth more $$.

CJM
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
I don't know why everyone says dodge bodies are crap.. I have a buddy with one that has over 450,000 miles and it is the same as most cars with 120,000. I see a lot more broken chevys and fords around that Dodges but maybe thats just around here :confused:

Lucky maybe, around here like I said before I made a living repairing there junk

atvracer190
01-31-2011, 06:12 PM
the cummins is whats left when the strokin is down

rpfeifer11
01-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Cummins for sure

CJM
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
So cummins are reliable eh? Neighbor has a 05 dodge 2500 cummins, guess what just happened?? Idler pulley BLEW off the truck and now he has no belt driving anything. Funny, truck has 50k or so on it to since he drives his motorcycle most of the time..

yes...reliable..

MOFO
01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
real question is .... which will be worth more in 10 years from now?

That should answer your question.

Find the price of your avg 2000 Camaro with a V8 then find the price of a 2000 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge with a Cummins - with the same miles as the Camaro.

Its easy to see which holds its value over 10 years - it wont be the Camaro.

Push it back 15 years and you'll find the same story....

Anyways, the OP should buy whatever he wants for TODAY - not tomorrow. Purchasing a daily driver and expecting it to be an investment 10,15 or 20 years down the road is a bad idea.

Purchase something that is reliable and meets all of your needs - this is assuming you can easily afford whatever you choose (ie big down payment or no loan).

My $0.02 :)

BTW, I'd take the Cummins over the SS everyday of the week and twice on Sunday if its a 6sp manual.

If this was a 3rd or 4th vehicle, I might consider the SS if it was a great deal - just as a weekend toy at best.

MOFO
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
So cummins are reliable eh? Neighbor has a 05 dodge 2500 cummins, guess what just happened?? Idler pulley BLEW off the truck and now he has no belt driving anything. Funny, truck has 50k or so on it to since he drives his motorcycle most of the time..

yes...reliable..

That is funny because I promise you that you can find a similar story with any truck from the big 3...sure seems like everyone has "that" neighbor with a fatal car problem... I'm just sayin.... :devil:

BTW, I'm not a Dodge fan either but you need to be realistic and understand all 3 can have issues (outside of well known chronic issues)....roll the dice and pick whatever you like best!

ProspectorJim
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'll disagree . Years down the road, a new era muscle car will be worth than a diesel truck.

Compare prices of a late 80s sports car to a late 80s diesel truck. Which is most sought after and worth more $$.

find me a late 80's diesel that's not beat to **** and doesn't have 300,000+ miles of towing, plowing, etc on it. If you do find one, it'll be the same if not more than the 80's sports car.

MOFO
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
find me a late 80's diesel that's not beat to **** and doesn't have 300,000+ miles of towing, plowing, etc on it. If you do find one, it'll be the same if not more than the 80's sports car.

I was in the truck market a few months ago (looked for 6 months to find a specific truck) - I can't believe how much a used PSD/Cummins goes for if its in half decent shape (15-20 years old too!) :eek:

440racer66
01-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by CJM

yes...reliable..

well i saw a brand new ford lock up all tires when you turned the wheel like the brakes were connected to the power steering. and i could go on all day about ford. but i see more fords on fire on the side of the road more than anyother brand.

MOFO
01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
well i saw a brand new ford lock up all tires when you turned the wheel like the brakes were connected to the power steering. and i could go on all day about ford. but i see more fords on fire on the side of the road more than anyother brand.

Ok, I gotta ask since I spend a decent amount of time behind the wheel...

How many vehicles have you seen on fire (on the side of the road) to be able to say "You've seen more Fords on fire than any other brand"?? :D

Vehicle fires must be common down there in NC... :confused: :devil:

ProspectorJim
01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I was in the truck market a few months ago (looked for 6 months to find a specific truck) - I can't believe how much a used PSD/Cummins goes for if its in half decent shape (15-20 years old too!) :eek:

oh I know. I was looking for a cummins a while ago. around 10,000 plus for a decent mid to late 90's single cab with 250000+ miles. Crazy.

CJM
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM

WTF that isnt even possible? you saw it or your were inside the truck with them and know exactly what happened? Was it moving, was it still, is this another made up story so you can claim a ford is bad?

Some people just dont get it-there is a very distinct reason the entire fleet of verizon, and the local cable company trucks around here and in many other palces are mostly ford or sometimes a few chevys and not a single dodge, a reason at least 80% of the contractor trucks I see are fords, a reason why anyone who is into tow trucks uses ford wreckers, why so many plow trucks are fords, why so many cab chassis are fords, why uhauls use ford E and F series chassis,,why ambulances are ford chassis, why they use ford vans for ambulances, why the local municipality's use ford or chevy, why you see tons of ford and chevy conversion vans around but few dodges, why when I towed more dodges (cars trucks, jeeps, etc) broke down than anything, there is a reason why the trans shop is full of dodges, etc, etc, etc. I can go on but this is a pointless argument.

Im not gonna argue with ya kid. Im a mechanic and ive seen it all at one time or another. Are fords or chevys perfect-hell no but they are built 1000x better than a dodge. Ask yourself this-if they sell so cheap (besides the cummins which people think is made of gold). Same year, same basic model ford will sell for 2-3 g's more..

So, unless your a mechanic..I think ill trust my know how over some 19 year old kid. years of experience tell me you know only what youve read or others have told you-not wrenching on vehicles fulltime for years. your in denial and at 19 dont know jack. Im sorry if Im being rude but what someone says to you or you read doesnt trump 15+ years experience.

FWIW never seen a ford truck catch fire on the side of the road -must be those nasty ford firestating gremlins you go tin your area , seen a chevy once tho.

ben300
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
FWIW never seen a ford truck catch fire on the side of the road -must be those nasty ford firestating gremlins you go tin your area , seen a chevy once tho.

i seen a chevy burn up once...

dumb *** budy of mine from high school completely rebuilt an 89 regular cab s10....full custom interior, custom paint, wheels, bored and stroked small block...was a really nice truck...tons of money invested in the damn thing. well this was his senior project..

now the dumb *** never had his lincense till he was like 19, but he just had to drive this thing to school. well the night before, he wired some new lights inside to light up the interior at night. he wired somethign wrong. while we were at school..the truck caught on fire, and completely burned up to nothing but the frame, sheet metal, drive train and engine.

funniest part was...stupid *** had no insurance or anything...

440racer66
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by CJM
WTF that isnt even possible? you saw it or your were inside the truck with them and know exactly what happened? Was it moving, was it still, is this another made up story so you can claim a ford is bad?

Some people just dont get it-there is a very distinct reason the entire fleet of verizon, and the local cable company trucks around here and in many other palces are mostly ford or sometimes a few chevys and not a single dodge, a reason at least 80% of the contractor trucks I see are fords, a reason why anyone who is into tow trucks uses ford wreckers, why so many plow trucks are fords, why so many cab chassis are fords, why uhauls use ford E and F series chassis,,why ambulances are ford chassis, why they use ford vans for ambulances, why the local municipality's use ford or chevy, why you see tons of ford and chevy conversion vans around but few dodges, why when I towed more dodges (cars trucks, jeeps, etc) broke down than anything, there is a reason why the trans shop is full of dodges, etc, etc, etc. I can go on but this is a pointless argument.

Im not gonna argue with ya kid. Im a mechanic and ive seen it all at one time or another. Are fords or chevys perfect-hell no but they are built 1000x better than a dodge. Ask yourself this-if they sell so cheap (besides the cummins which people think is made of gold). Same year, same basic model ford will sell for 2-3 g's more..

So, unless your a mechanic..I think ill trust my know how over some 19 year old kid. years of experience tell me you know only what youve read or others have told you-not wrenching on vehicles fulltime for years. your in denial and at 19 dont know jack. Im sorry if Im being rude but what someone says to you or you read doesnt trump 15+ years experience.

i was standing about two feet away from the thing. sat in it and turned the wheel and the brake would move to the floor without a foot to touch it. yes you probably have a vast more wrench time than me and yes i am 20 years old. but my best friend through high school got me a job working for dales s&p garage and have seen first hand as well. and im not really trying to argue with you at all its an open forum a place for discussion. and maybe its the heat or maybe its just ratty fords. but gremlins i havent seen one or i would have mounted it on my wall.

440racer66
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM

o and here some more info. it would barely move in a straight line but if you turned to wheel it would lock up but you could get it to move with the foot on the floor. and yes i was very much present at the time. i also watched it get loaded on the roll back as well. and no i dont care to read the faults of a ford. and no this isnt the only reason i dislike a ford. there are many others.

CJM
01-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Agree to disagree..

440racer66
01-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Agree to disagree..
sounds good.

426kidz
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
keep it out of the salt and snow there gonna last the same...dont beat the **** out of it there gonna last the same...change the oil and treat it right there gonna last the same... If you have to haul alot than get the truck absolutly no reason for a truck unless you live where you need the 4x4 or you haul alot and or your tall and need the room. Another thing is...the only way your gonna make any money off of a vehical later down the road is if your 80 and buy it to let it sit and build value through the years. I have many friends that beat the piss out of there trucks I happen to take good care of mine, But my truck stays out side all winter theirs do not...so in return I have a better running truck than the them but they dont get as much rust as me. and I wont say what company each truck is made by considering that it does not matter. Bottom line I am getting too is you get what you pay for and get what you give, out of it. :D

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2011, 07:14 AM
As far as the topic of this thread goes, my vote goes to the Camaro. I'm actually surprised no one has been saying this.

I just have so much more fun driving cars, and the new camaro is well, really nice. LSX motors are great.

Sure, you can't haul your toys, but so what? Buy the camaro and pick up a little 80's 4cyl pickup truck on the side for that.

Hell, I would never buy a 25,000 dollar truck, to haul my 2,500 dollar quad.

Get the camaro, and buy a little beater pickup for work and toy hauling.

As far as the whole dodge thing goes,

I LOVE Dodge trucks. I think they're one of the most stylish, one of the best diesels, and extremely comfortable. And if you do some preventive maintenance (POR15 on the chassis) You won't have to worry about rust issues.
BUT, that being said, the ONLY major weakpoint I see on Dodge trucks, is the transmission.. My friends dad has a fairly new 3500 dually cummins pick up. Not that high of mileage and already went in under warranty to have the trans replaced. Pretty sad.

But who wants an automatic anyway? I'll take the 6-speed.

250x_kyle
02-01-2011, 08:53 AM
the average 06 cummins around my area are going anywhere from about 28 to 35. but i would rather spend the money on the cummins because it can still be fun to drive if you put a little money into it, and you can still haul stuff. plus if you get a dent in the side of the bed of the truck it just build character. i do love the new camaros just not for a dialy driver.

jsracing2
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
My pick is for a daily driver. After doing some math I'm going to pass on the diesel. I would love to have it, but it would take a paycheck each month just to go up the roa amd back. That said I'm looking at the camaro and a wrx now.

06typeS
02-01-2011, 12:16 PM

I know what i would get

lol classic

mineralgrey01gt
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
drive both, see which is better, personally id go with the dodge over the camaro any day of the week. I think camaro's are some seriously ugly *** cars. I never understood what people saw in them and for what they are they are slow, interior's are ugly as all get out and cheap looking. I could go on for days. Im sure ill get flamed on this site as I see quite a few nutswingers for camaro's on here but oh well. Its my opinion.

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
drive both, see which is better, personally id go with the dodge over the camaro any day of the week. I think camaro's are some seriously ugly *** cars. I never understood what people saw in them and for what they are they are slow, interior's are ugly as all get out and cheap looking. I could go on for days. Im sure ill get flamed on this site as I see quite a few nutswingers for camaro's on here but oh well. Its my opinion.

LOL, exactly, it's an opinion.

I'm not very biased when it comes to cars. I love so many different ones. For the Camaro, I love everything about them (including the interior styling)

Like you said, people shouldn't get butt hurt, everyone has different opinions.

To the OP-

Camaro vs WRX.. it depends, are you talking about an STI? As much as I LOVE the new camaros, If you get snow and crappy weather, the STI is damn near almost as fast and AWD for the bad weather. Great choice for a sporty daily.

ProspectorJim
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by jsracing2
My pick is for a daily driver. After doing some math I'm going to pass on the diesel. I would love to have it, but it would take a paycheck each month just to go up the roa amd back. That said I'm looking at the camaro and a wrx now.

wrx if you get any kind of snow in the winter.

woodsracer144
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Im a big cummins a ford guy my self.

you can do alot with a diesel. you just need to take the time to join diesel forums and learn things. I would get the cummins. you can make tunes to make it not as powerful. I have a ve 12v in a 86 f350 CC and i turn the fuel pin down when im not towing alot or dont need the power.

look at what one will run the longest for you and what one is worth more.

you could try this... have the cummins and a cheap beater... thats what i do and a buddy, i have a 93 ranger that i run to work almost every day and then i have the diesel for fun, weekends long drives. and other stuff..

Ruby Soho
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I drive a 7.3 as my only vehicle.

Absolutely love it. Cant see myself driving a car at all.. I use the truck way to much, and you don't have to drive as cautious

Thinking about an 03 CR swap, we'll see what happens with that but i'd really love to go through with it. Then I have the best of both worlds:D

Pipeless416
02-01-2011, 03:34 PM
i absolutely love having a quick car, but there are also times i wish i had a truck. like now, i couldn't drive anywhere if i wanted to. RWD and lots of power really is that bad in crappy weather. people who keep saying the mileage is better in the cummins... seriously? i know they do pretty well, but i regularly get 20-26 and premium isn't even as much as diesel. my vote goes to camaro.. it will be cheaper in the long run and those hot summer days of just cruising make it all worth it.

Ruby Soho
02-01-2011, 04:09 PM
oh and as far as MPG's, with my economy tune i hit 24mpg high way and 20 in town. in a 8,000lb truck.

Dave400ex
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
All depends what you want to do. If you want to go fast, get the Camaro. I was thinking between a Duramax and a Camaro. I got the Duramax. There are times I wish I had a Camaro. For the amount of money I spent on my truck this year I could of had one heck of a Camaro. There is nothing cheap about a diesel. As far as sound, I love diesels, but nothing sounds like a cammed v8.

FHKracingZ
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
oh and as far as MPG's, with my economy tune i hit 24mpg high way and 20 in town. in a 8,000lb truck.

I call bull on the 24mph highway in diesel truck. your computer might say that but take the time to acually figure it out. I have owned a duramax and lots of my friends own diesels, with a chip and tune your looking at around 19-20 at best.

CJM
02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
I call bull on the 24mph highway in diesel truck. your computer might say that but take the time to acually figure it out. I have owned a duramax and lots of my friends own diesels, with a chip and tune your looking at around 19-20 at best.

Seen it plenty of times, all in how you drive it-your easy on it it gets good mpg. Also the tire size and gear ratio. Got a truck with 35's and 4.10s and you get piss poor mpg, got a truck with 31's and 3.55 or 3.73 and you get decent to good mpg.

Duramax btw gets the worst mpg Ive ever seen b/c they have injector issues alot of the time.

woodsracer144
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM

you can make a diesel run on about anything. propane injection. water meth, you can pretty much make them run for free almost if you have good ties with a few local bars to get their oil to make a WVO.

im a diesel lover. i have a buddy with honda civic that was all built up. and i had that car on trailer, with my truck goin down the interstate and another civic thought he would pull quick one on me. dropped in 4th and gunned it, and away we went. my buddy laughed his *** off cause he didnt know diesels had that kind of power.

there nothing you cant do with that cummins. im not saying he has to use it as a DD but i think a diesel is a good choice. now days nothing is cheap but when you have a gas truck working over time to do what a diesel truck does with ease isnt any good.

its his choice.. just gotta do research on what you have for options and stuff..

Ruby Soho
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM

custom tuned by jody at dp tuner. not junk off the shelf tunes

I didnt look at a computer, my truck doesnt have a lie-o-meter. i did the math. 3 times actually because I didnt believe it myself. believe it or not, i hit 24mpg when i drove to SC and back.

Dave400ex
02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Duramax btw gets the worst mpg Ive ever seen b/c they have injector issues alot of the time.

Depends on the year. The LB7 engine is the only one that really has injector issues. When tuned right with EFI Live, there are several Duramax's out there getting over 20mpg. However when you have EFI it's hard to keep your foot out of it. lol. I have this problem, but I didn't buy the truck for mileage.

trick450r
02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I drive a 7.3 as my only vehicle.

Absolutely love it. Cant see myself driving a car at all.. I use the truck way to much, and you don't have to drive as cautious

Thinking about an 03 CR swap, we'll see what happens with that but i'd really love to go through with it. Then I have the best of both worlds:D

I think I know where that CR is comin from...how much does he want for that? too bad the trannies already gonski.

Anyway, I'd get the camaro. I sold my psd a couple years ago and bought the firechicken, its much more satisfying to mod a car.

Just buy a beater toyota truck or something to move your stuff around.

woodsracer144
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
what did you pull 24 mpg in? a psd?

Im not a big dura fan, the front ends are junk on them too. the susp. just isnt a good.

once you make tunes, you make power... when you make power.. your foot gets heavy and throttle is light.

If you want to get amazing fuel eco... learn how to do tunes...

krt400ex
02-03-2011, 04:34 PM
cummins all the way. nothing is better and more reliable than a cummins engine. and quite honestly, the camero is gaudy and looks like a childs hot wheels toy.

krt400ex
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM

duramax is not going to come close to the fuel mileage a cummins can achieve. call bs all you want, but my buddy has a 98 5.9 cummins(does not have a fancy computer to tell your mileage, he has to do it himself) and he has an economy tune on his. he has seen 28mpg on the highway. his claim of 24 is very believable

FHKracingZ
02-03-2011, 07:13 PM
28mpg on a diesel truck? haha he must be smoking the good stuff.

woodsracer144
02-04-2011, 01:30 AM
28mpg on a diesel truck? haha he must be smoking the good stuff.

you should join cumminsforum... like i said before if you want really good ECO learn to do tunes and flash tuning... when i was in High school i did a paper on things that get slipped under the table. and there was a place that made carbs back in the day that got really good MPG but GM bought the company out and everything when in the crusher or in a fire. look up micro blue coating.

you can pull 28 MPG in a cummins. my cousin pulled 20 pulling a camper up to canada with the clutch going out. just have to know how to use your throttle and not make it be a boat anchor 99% of the time.