PDA

View Full Version : no start

bens250ex
01-30-2011, 10:00 PM
bike isnt wanting to start, it will backfire every once in a while. it will eventually start after i kill the battery and jump start it. the bike has been sittin up but i ran some injector cleaner and put stabil in it last time i had it out. Anyone have any ideas on where to start? i am going to remove the filter tomorrow and replace it with a inline filter but after that im not sure what to do.

JUST FOUND

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so bike has not been starting, i just got done checking the valves and i could not even get the .04 feeler in on the intake side which is suppose to be .10-.20......

the .20 did go in on the exhaust side but it was pretty tight. exhaust specs are .20-.30

so the question is what do i need to do for shims? i really dont have the cash to buy shim kit at the momen and i have a race on Feb 19. So guys im desparate. I need to know what shims i could possible use to get it back in spec. If anyone has a kit and wanna help a brother out i will pay you for some shims. Im not sure what size the stock shim is. Any one have any idea what to do? i hate messin with valves.....

Merl991
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
first thing i would do is change the spark plug. then while ya got it apart check that you have good fuel pressure.

Limited Z_400
02-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Quick check:remove the fuel line @ the fuel pump from the tank to see if you have fuel.

bens250ex
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
i changed spark plug, and did away with stock filter and went with an inline filter...still having same problems. It will turn over till the battery dies then if i hook up the charger and boost the battery after a couple more times of cranking it over it will usually fire. Sounds like a battery problem but the battery sounds strong when i first start cranking on it. The battery is only a year old too.
After it warms up it runs normal.

Merl991
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
valve gap in spec?

bens250ex
02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Merl991
valve gap in spec?

haven't checked valves yet

bigbad400
02-04-2011, 08:24 AM
first thing u cant use an inline filter you need a swirl filter. it wont run with inline pressure is way off. :eek2:

dont let your machines sit.... start them for god sake once a week even if it only runs to get warm and shut back off. they build moisture in the cylender. you could have a pitted wall and u just have real low compression. dont let things sit for more than a month at most. its bad on everything in the motor. bearings get stuck from sitting and then wear out faster than normal when u fire it up again.

hard starting is usually valves out of spec or low compression.

also on fuel injected units voltage is necessary, you have to have a fully charged battery, full 12 v is required. you can have sparatic symptoms and never figure out the problem. check ur ground wire. check the plug and check for a good spark. then check fuel pressure and so on. you need 3 main things. gas air and spark. you got good spark and gas.... leaves air. good spark and air... leaves gas.... got gas got air... needs spark.

bigbad400
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
there is a choke on these too u know.... have u bean using your choke to start it cold? i dont have to on mine its tuned perfect. but alot of people do use them.

LTandRaptorider
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
first thing u cant use an inline filter

Only part of your advice I disagree with. I got rid of the crappy swirl filter over 2 years ago and replaced with an inline filter. Haven't had any probs with the inline, and best of all no probs with the swirl filter since it's gone! :D

And although everyone calls it a choke, it actually isn't. Flipping the lever only opens the throttle a little to richen the fuel for cold starting. Cracking the thumb throttle a little has the same effect.

but yeah hard starting and back-firing, def check the valves first.

bens250ex
02-04-2011, 05:28 PM
i am getting spark checked that, threw in a new plug as well, fresh fuel as well.

I can't go crank the bike ever week for gosh sakes i am in college and my bike is usually 2 and 1/2 hours away except for this month because i am racing a race here where i go to school.

yes i know there is a "choke" im not a newb to engines

I also pulled the cherry bomb off and will see how she starts without it. What sucks is i have to let it sit and get cold to try different things cause once it starts it will start time and time again. But i do have to give it a little throttle to get it to start.

Anyone have the instructions to check the valves on the bike? I guess this will be my next step.

bens250ex
02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
well a new update. today i went and tried to start it hasnt been started since thurs. It sounded like it wanted to catch several times at first. I had the choke on and was giving it throttle. Had several back fires some had flames. Ok so then i decided to turn choke off and give it some gas. Well it finally started up. This is big step forward cause i didn't have to jump the battery. Everytime i start it after it is warm i have to give it a little gas and it will fire right off.

I went and baught a feeler gauge today and tomorrow i plan on checkin the valves and see where they stand. but it looks like a PITA to shim the valves and what not

bens250ex
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
forgot to mention i also unhooked the cherry bomb

candidate zero
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Definately check the valves. Mine was doing the same thing, intake valve was really tight.

bens250ex
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by candidate zero
Definately check the valves. Mine was doing the same thing, intake valve was really tight.

how hard is it to shim the valvs on this engine?