PDA

View Full Version : HP4M.....not happy and shifting issue?

TWILES
01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't know if I didn't get the motor broke-in good or what but I changed to HP4M like I used in my 04 model(have new 08 now). It ran great but had like half the power in certain RPM ranges. I've heard and read that a lot of CRF-R and X guys have been using Rotella 15-40 in the bottom and top ends so I change mine out. I'm super happy with the results in the top-end. The power is back and its taking the gas like it was. The bottom-end felt like it shifted better at first and is back notchy and almost impossible to go from 1st to 2nd without trying to break the lever powershifting. I've read where some are using the Honda trans oil. Anyone know with that helps with the shifting? I'm going to try the regular HP4 next go-around. Maybe I just didn't have it broke-in. Is this news to anyone or pretty common with the transmission? My 250R didn't shift the greatest. Not supprised with this one but theres got to be an oil that helps. I used GoldSpectro 80w in my 250R and that helped some. Any opinions?

eastside 400
01-30-2011, 07:57 PM
you cant use the HP4M in the clutch side!!! the M stands for moly which is horrible for clutch operation, it acts as a lubricant and will cause the clutch to slip and burn up. Rotella works very well, i believe you can only use the standard oil and not the synthetic in the clutch side someone correct me if im wrong

Baileygunns
01-30-2011, 09:45 PM
^^X2

You can use synthetic on the cutch side as long as there are NO friction modifiers... You can continue to use the HP4M on the CRANK side or any oil with moly/friction modifiers.

Rotella works well on both sides if you choose to use that oil.... I do.

Rich250RRacer
01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I prefer HP4 (no M) 10w40 on the crank side, and Honda HP trans oil in the transmission. Never had a shifting issue in any of my 250R's or either of my 450's.

TWILES
01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't put the HP4M in the bottom. I just changed that saturday for the first time to Rotella. The problem was the HP4M in the top-end. It lost a lot of power. I put Rotella in it and its back that way it was with the oil that came in it.

eastside 400
01-31-2011, 04:12 PM
you wont loose power with that oil, or any oil for that matter. it makes minimal differences on dynos unless your usually running 20w and go to 50w or something, but either way its minimal

TJ Bradley
01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
You have different oil in the top and bottom end of your motor? :huh

This must be the new secret 2012 Trx's we've all been waiting for? ? :D JK

TWILES
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
You have different oil in the top and bottom end of your motor? :huh

This must be the new secret 2012 Trx's we've all been waiting for? ? :D JK

YOU ARE THE REASON I DON'T GET ON FORUMS!!!!!!

HOW can you have one of these atv's and NOT know the trans and top-end oils are separate? YOU are a retard!

fastredrider44
02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
YOU ARE THE REASON I DON'T GET ON FORUMS!!!!!!

HOW can you have one of these atv's and NOT know the trans and top-end oils are separate? YOU are a retard!

Calm down fella. He was being a smartass.

eastside 400
02-01-2011, 04:01 PM
well he was making fun of you because you call it a top and bottom oil which is false, the engine side lubricates the bottom end... as in the crank as well as the piston and head. the trans lubricates the clutch and transmission