PDA

View Full Version : Caliper adaptors for 450r brakes

troybilt
01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Does anyone make caliper adapters for the 450r front brakes? If not is anyone interested if I designed a set?

I sent off my front brakes that were on that Laeger bike that I traded for (Elsinore) anyway Pappy couldn't get them apart they are stuck so I need a new set of front brakes...

250Renvy
01-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Troy, I have lots of sets of front brakes. I also have some 450R calipers.

I think if you took the time to design them, people would use them.

However an FYI the holes are very close. If you widened out your holes in the oem - it would probably fit.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

gixxerbob
01-30-2011, 06:42 PM
i was really interested in it a month or two ago, i even started the thread for best caliper/spindle combo but couldnt find 450 adapters so i chose to buy yamaha parts :( haha . In the end i went with 400ex aluminum spindles cause they are "supposedly" the same (or damn close) geometry as a 250r and the yfz450 caliper that bolts direclty to it. The spindles are 20-25$ each on ebay and extremely available as opposed to 50$ each for a 89 spindle that is hard to find to begin with, and the yfz calipers cost me 50$ on ebay. Its easy to find parts for the capilers than 250r calipers yet still dual piston and great nissin parts

the baldwin 400ex spindle to 250r caliper adapters are way overpriced IMHO, it was just cheaper to go with yfz calipers.

the 89 spindles and 250r brakes got expensive, rare spindles, and not getting any easier to find parts for or just getting old.

the 450r spindles and brakes got pricy and replacement cost are also expensive (if i were ever to damage a spindle) and im too novice a rider to appreciate the joys of 04-05 parts

and 400ex calipers are one hell of a downgrade from 250r calipers

I think you would have a real market in selling 450 adapters as long as you didnt ask 200$ for a pair like baldwin. it would be nice to stay with all honda parts and many 250r guys stand behind 89 spindles and would never consider aluminium ones which is perfectly understandable leaving those people with the only optoin of 22-25 year old calipers.

Lasher
01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
One other note...

I was researching a spindle set up for my kids Walsh CRF and here is what I found since it callls for 400ex spindles...

YZ front calipers will bolt up to the 400ex spindles.

06+ spindles are the same as 400ex spindles, the only difference is the brake mounting holes for the 450R brakes.

For me, I am getting the 06+ spindles and 450R brakes for the Walsh.

troybilt
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm running a ProTrax T-Pin front end that uses 250r brakes... my 250r stuff was fubar according to Pappy so now I'm in the market for calipers...

troybilt
01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Troy, I have lots of sets of front brakes. I also have some 450R calipers.

I think if you took the time to design them, people would use them.

However an FYI the holes are very close. If you widened out your holes in the oem - it would probably fit.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

250renvy, yes I saw that when I had a set of 450r front brakes, unfortunately I sold them thinking I wouldn't need them. They were like new... damn.. I'd have to go buy a set with the plan of building some adaptors to mount them.

matt250r21
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
The only hard part about rebuilding 250R calipers is getting the junk that builds up between the aluminum and the o ring seal area. I have fixed a bunch that were locked up solid. If you use compressed air the pistons will pop out.

k7mm
02-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Lasher,I'm sending you a pm.
Keith