View Full Version : Snowmobiles?

exrider12
01-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Im looking to get into sleds.. I dont really know much about them. I need help picking one out and narrowing my search.

I would jump it, ride semi fast and also do some trails. Id be more aggressive than leisure.

Another key factor is reliability. I would be able to do most wrench work but the least amount is preferred.

Thanks for any help

honda400ex2003
01-30-2011, 05:59 PM
im partial to X model skidoos for your type of riding. a ZX chassis would probably be plenty for you and can be had for around 2000 bucks. something like a mxz 600 X from 2000-2003 would be good. the 2002 and 2003s have the upgraded rear skid in them and with upgraded X model suspension would be a fun sled to have. they are a tough chassis and require little work also.

thats about the best help i can give... I bleed yellow and red depending. haha

look for any chassis with some sort of race chassis though, artic cat-sno pro polaris-IQ or something like that, yamaha-phazer or something.

it all depends on how many green backs you have to spend though, how much you got? It is an expensive hobby! I spend much more sledding than i do wheeling. I blow over 50 cents a mile per sled plus food! 100 miles 50 bucks. I get around 10 mpg and run about 40:1 oil so it adds up quick. they are alot more maintenance than wheelers also.

steve

Quad18star
01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
If you're buying new ... the arctic cat sno pro 500 is ur best bet. race chassis with the reliable trail ready 500 cc.

exrider12
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
im buying used.. prob around $2000-3000. I was also looking at fire cats and zr's. those any good?

Quad18star
01-31-2011, 05:31 PM
The fire cats aren't too bad .... I'm not a fan of the ZR sleds though.

For the money you're looking to spend , you should be able to get into a 2003-2006 Ski-Doo MXZX 440 (race sled) . Get one that is trail converted which included the low compression heads, larger fuel tank , oil injection among a few other things. That way you can actually go out and enjoy riding the sled and not worry about running race fuel.

When looking at sleds there's quite a bit to look out for. Flip the sled on it's side and check the track condition for rips , lugs missing , pull-throughs of studs. Check the idler wheels for cracks or bearings that are finished. Check the sliders for wear. Check the rail conditions and the drive sprockets. Then check the heat exchangers for any punctures or welding and check the tunnel condition for bends or cracks.

Check all the shocks for leaks.

Make your way to the front of the sled and look at the a-arms and bushings . Cracked skis? Check the carbides for wear. Check the NUN for breaks . Clutch wear . Any oil leaks .

There's a ton of other things to look for when buying a used ditch banger (or any sled for that matter).

exrider12
01-31-2011, 06:07 PM
alright i'll keep my eyes open. My friend would come with me to help check it out. he just bought an m8. things sick!

witech
01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
All great advice but one thing anyone looking at a used sled needs to bring is a compresion tester.

Quad18star
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by witech
All great advice but one thing anyone looking at a used sled needs to bring is a compresion tester.

That's a given. :p

And my best advice .... stay away from triples... they are nothing more than a headache and a money pit.

exrider12
01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Dont have a compression tester.. and wouldnt have thought to bring one either:confused:

Noob to sleds!! And ya i heard triples suck

Quad18star
01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
Dont have a compression tester.. and wouldnt have thought to bring one either:confused:

Noob to sleds!! And ya i heard triples suck

Even if you buy a crappy one at a local auto parts store .. it's a good thing to have when looking at a sled. You should have equal compression across the cylinders. Anything below 115psi and you're looking at a top end job in the near future.

If you have a chance , take it for a spin and listen for anything that could sound wrong.

exrider12
01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
My friend seems to know a lot about sleds so he'll be a big help. I just cant wait to ride! We have so much snow right now. And have another 2 feet on the way :blah:

And thanks for the help. If I find one I'll post it up and see what you think.

One sled i keep finding is a mxz 440/800 conversion. What are these?

Quad18star
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah post up pictures for sure when you get one.

A conversion 440/800 basically means its a 440 chassis (race chassis) with an 800cc motor thrown in it. Think HYBRID in the ATV world.

It's a nice combo if it's done right.

Ski-Doo did this from factory in 2007 only. They put a 600 and an 800 in the 440 chassis (2007 Ski-Doo XRS). The rest u see out there are all home conversions.

450rdr424
02-01-2011, 07:10 AM
If i were you i would look for a ski-doo with the rev chassis or if you like the cats get a sno-pro package, better shocks, bar risers just a better ride for what you want to do, last weekend i got to ride a new polaris Rush and have a feeling next fall one will be sitting in my garage, good luck sleds are a blast just be smart while riding

bbender85
02-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 450rdr424
If i were you i would look for a ski-doo with the rev chassis..

exactly. the way it's set up ergonomically will be best suited for how you plan to ride. i was dabbling with the idea myself last winter, looking at early revs.. they were going for ~$2500 around here.

i bought a yamaha SX600r brand new when i was in high school... loved the sled. it was a triple, extremely smooth motor, just not the fastest 600 on the block. but i never had a single issue with it, on anything. kept it all stock execpt for an 1.25 camoplast track, cobra windshield, and MBRP race silencer (which sounded -wicked- bad).

that was pre-rev, and i grew up in a yamaha family. was a great sled, but the rev is what you and i both need.

exrider12
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Alright I'll start looking for revs. They arent to expensive it seems like! And those 440/800's sound pretty cool.

BlasterEaten250
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Sleds are a blast but like it was said before the gas milage is killer. If I was looking for another I would have gone for a 7-800. I have a 500 right now and sometimes find myself wanting more power, especially in the powder. Also, reverse would be VERY nice.