PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

Honda4LifeWes36
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
This is kind of a dumb question but I have never really known the real answer.

Yesterday, I went riding all day and got covered in mud. After the ride, I rode up to the car wash to wash her off. After a good 3 minutes of washing, I tried to start it and she wouldn't start which it usually doesn't when it gets washed.

It takes a couple minutes and then I start it and she pops off like normal.

Like what get too wet to start? How is it preventable? I have heard of leaving the engine running while washing.

Just kind of an interesting question.

RATPACK Z400
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Powerwashing not good on quads cause it pushs water where you dont want water, like connectors in switchs etc . I would never powerwash engine/wiring taking a chance of getting water in where you dont wont it and then having future problem when water in connectors rusts !

Honda4LifeWes36
01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
How do you wash? Just hand wash?

CJM
01-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Never had an issue ever and alot of people I know pressure wash their quads.

Course if your using some insane 4000 PSI gas powered one and go nuts washing everything then of course it will get into everything.

HOWEVER all the electrical connections are pretty much sealed (least the important ones), the engine is sealed right, carb is sealed and so are the bearings.. so whats gonna get wet?

At least this applies to honda quads, not sure of other makes. All I can say is if pressure washing was really bad at least 5 quads woulda broken down now that I know of. What do you think happens when a quad goes mud or water boggin? Ive seen people literally bury them to the most safe depth without sucking water into the engine and it still ran fine.

hocman123
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
i would double check all the conection and maybe take them apart and clean them and then put it all back together with electris greese, at least thats what i think it name is.

when i clean it i just put a rag in the end of the exhaust to try and keep water from getting in the pipe, which also could be ur problem.

Honda4LifeWes36
01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
I let it sit for ten minutes and then she fires back up every time.

CJM
01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
If anything the coil on the plug probably got a bit wet. happened to my snowblower the other day when i picked up some slush by accident.

Honda4LifeWes36
01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Hmm ya some guy told me just to leave it running. He says thats what he does with his motorcycle because it doesn't like to start after washing it either.