PDA

View Full Version : help timing chain or valves

z400dad
01-30-2011, 08:46 AM
can anyone tell me how to check the timing chain or valves my bought a 2004 ltz and i havent done nothing but work on this thing he has rode mabe one day since he got it i put him new clutch new clutch cable clutch cable bracket new battery wires new starter.now when you crank it .it sounds like it has something slapping or loud clacking i was thinking it is either the valves or timing chain.because it acks like starter or battery is weak when starting.can someone help.i really dont know that much about these moters but am trying to learn.

RATPACK Z400
01-30-2011, 11:49 AM
It sounds like timing chain tentioner might need new chain .but it could be valves aswell . need manual to check valve clearance and specs .there are guys on here that can tell you step by step.

z400dad
01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
that would be great if someone could explain it step by step.

honda_fan06
02-04-2011, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine just had the same problem. But his wouldn't crank it would turn over but nit crank and sounded like the battery was weak. He ended up buying a shim kit for his valves and adjusting them by inserting different shims to get the right specs. Also get a manual for it, it's like a bible to me and him. And finally check your tensioner and make sure it is working properly would hurt to replace it if it's been rode alot before you had it. Just to be safe someone on here probally knows more about it than what I have said but it's a start.
Get a manual it will help alot.

1lowzu
02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
when the 1 way starter clutch that is located behind the flywheel goes out it will make a clunking sound and it will drag and makes it seem like the battery is low but thats because the 1 way clutch is slipping and dragging the back of the fly wheel it usualy casued by cheap batteries, jump sarting of off vehicle while they are runnin, or hitting the start button while its running

RC FAN
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
The z has a few known problems like every bike! that beeing said to check the cam chain pull the valve cover off and take a screwdriver between the two cams and try and push the chain down if it moves very much at all you need a new cam chain! if you have to do that send the cam chain tensioner to paul at advantage cycle and have him mod it for 35 bucks! then with the mod and a new chain you wont have anything to worry about for years!! if the bike was rode hard and not serviced well thevalves could be cupped try to adjust them 1 time if they go out of adj again replace them!! the starter clutch is a weak link too they last for a long time if its not modded with big cams and high comp 13plus! So check the cam chain and valves while the valve cover is off if you find no probs it will be the starter clutch! these are the only real prob these bike have if you stay ontop of that usually check it 1 time a year itll run for ever!! I f you have to do the camchain and or valves ask paul about the drz kit he puts to gether cheap hp and reliability. adds the dirtbike springs and raises the comperssion but still good for pump gas!! Hope im clear and this helps

1lowzu
02-07-2011, 06:46 AM
if you do end up getting a new timeing chain get a D.I.D timeing chain the stock chains are junk and the wiseco chain isnt much better

Studster
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
easy way to check the tension of the cam chain is take the 12mm bolt out of the tensioner there will be a spring that comes out too and then take out the allen bolts that hold the tensioner to the cylinder and tap with a rubber mallot to attept to break the gasket loose all in one piece. take out the tensioner if it is extended all the way out it probably is time to replace the cam chain... a way to tell is to put a socket extention into the hole and apply pressure to the cam chain slider inside the motor while holding pressure to the slider with the extension start the engine for a couple seconds if the noise goes away its def. the cam chain do not release pressure while the motor is running