PDA

View Full Version : Walsh YZ questions

gtilley45
01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I just traded my Walsh/Fox YFZ for a Walsh YZ hybrid with an '03 YZ450 4 speed motor. It's a full TC national motor. I just got the quad home today so I haven't really had time to mess with it a whole lot yet.

One of my questions is about servicing it. How much oil does it need? It's got a 400EX (I think) oil tank and I didn't know how much oil to put in the tank and how much to put in the motor. Also, the oil tank doesn't have a drain plug like the tank on my YFZ had, do I just remove the line from the bottom of the motor or what?

What kind of top radiator hose is supposed to be on it? The one on it looks pretty rigged up to me. It's got like a brass looking 90 degree fitting or something with the hoses attatched to it with hose clamps and I don't care for that. From the pics I've seen of other Walsh YZ's, they have a nice one piece radiator hose on there. Anybody know what kind of hose that is? I had a couple YFZ hoses laying around but they don't look like they'd even come close to working.

Is there a neater way to run the overflow tube for the motor and the overflow tube for the radiator? They will work fine the way they are ran now, but I was thinking there'd be an easy way to do it neatly. I'm very anal about how my quad looks and the little details like that drive me crazy. Like I said, I haven't had much time to mess with the quad yet, so I may be asking questions that I'll figure out once I look at things. But I knew there was a good bit of hybrid knowledge around here so I figured I'd pick some of your brains.

josborn
01-30-2011, 05:40 AM
When I had my YZ, not a walsh, but same motor, I would oil to the engine and the tank seperately. Drain both seperately as well. I had the DR. D site glass in my engine. That motor doesn't take a substantial amount of oil in it. Going off memory, I wanna say the book calls for roughly 1.1 quarts which is about 40oz. Now the trick is that, in the bike, that was the total volume (frame and engine). I think I ended up with about 18 oz in the engine, and that put me at slightly high on the sight glass. Now my oil tank was custom, and I added about a 32 oz to my tank, so ended up at 50 oz total. Any more than that in the engine and it would puke it out. At least that was my experience. I would get on thumper talk, a wealth of yz450 info on there. I think thats how I arrived at my amounts. Verify my info before using it please.

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 06:37 AM
All right, thanks man! Anybody else?

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 07:13 AM
The 400ex should have a drain bolt in the very bottom of it. Were it actually slides into the rubber bushing in the frame to hold it. On my yz450fs i drain both engine and tank and normally add back in about 1/2 or so qt or so to engine and about 3/4 or a little more to the tank. Run it and check from there.

For the rad overflow, get a walsh overflow bottom(or just a polaris overflow off ebay:D ) and that will clean up the look alot! For the breather hose, for the breather i normally run them out back and then down by the linkage mount. Very clean and cant even see it!

Justin

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by jrspawn
The 400ex should have a drain bolt in the very bottom of it. Were it actually slides into the rubber bushing in the frame to hold it. On my yz450fs i drain both engine and tank and normally add back in about 1/2 or so qt or so to engine and about 3/4 or a little more to the tank. Run it and check from there.

For the rad overflow, get a walsh overflow bottom(or just a polaris overflow off ebay:D ) and that will clean up the look alot! For the breather hose, for the breather i normally run them out back and then down by the linkage mount. Very clean and cant even see it!

Justin

I knew you've had a bunch of these, so I was glad to see you'd posted. LOL

I was just looking around on thumpertalk and found a link to a manual that I just downloaded. I was looking in it and it says the total amount with filter replacement is 1.16 US quart, and you're saying that you put in 1-1/4 quarts in yours so that makes sense since the bike doesn't have an oil tank. I'm gonna go take the plastic and tank off in a little while and look things over really well so I'll keep this in mind. :cool:

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Also.......on the radiator overflow, it's got the tank that's bolted to the front of the frame just above the shock towers.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Picture127.jpg

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by gtilley45
Also.......on the radiator overflow, it's got the tank that's bolted to the front of the frame just above the shock towers.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Picture127.jpg

Yup, that is actually just the "resevoir tank" to add to the system. Instead of having the rad cap close to the side fenders, they moved the cap to an added tank up front. You would want to run the overflow tube off that tank(under the fill cap) down to an overflow tank mounted on the rad shroud.

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Oh OK! Thanks Justin!

I'll get some pics of that radiator hose I was asking you about too. I gotta figure out which hose I need.

hontrx265r
01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Well lets see the pics of the whole bike...

josborn
01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
That looks like the one from ebay, USP4U had owned it, i think. Man if that thing had went back up for sale the first week of Dec, I would have owned it. Probably would have been better off re-doing that one. Walsh said he did the aluminum rezzy like that, but switched to the polaris overflow in later years. At least it sounded like one or the other when we spoke. I don't think he meant for somebody to run them both, but i don't know why you couldn't. I picked one up brand new for a predator for around $30 off ebay a little while back.

So are you gonna go through it, or ride as is?

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by josborn
That looks like the one from ebay, USP4U had owned it, i think. Man if that thing had went back up for sale the first week of Dec, I would have owned it. Probably would have been better off re-doing that one. Walsh said he did the aluminum rezzy like that, but switched to the polaris overflow in later years. At least it sounded like one or the other when we spoke. I don't think he meant for somebody to run them both, but i don't know why you couldn't. I picked one up brand new for a predator for around $30 off ebay a little while back.

The guy had it on Ebay a couple times. A friend of mine (cadwell on here) had been talking to him about trading his YFZ for it, but they couldn't get a deal worked out because they were so far away. So cadwell told him I had a YFZ real similar to his so me and this guy started talking, and ended up trading.

I'm gonna just ride it for now. I want to go through it and re-powdercoat and re-chrome some things, get new plastic, get a seat cover, and maybe get a different exhaust.....but all that will have to wait. I'm low on extra money right now, plus our race season starts back next month. I'm gonna have the shocks gone through and set up for my weight and get some nerf bars pretty soon. The nerfs on it are pretty rough so those and the shocks are my first 2 priorities. I think I might change shocks down the road, but the PEPs will have to work for the time being.

I just took all the plastic and gas tank off......and the top motor mount/head stay is cracked pretty bad. One of the bolts on the left side is broken off in the frame, and the other bolt on that side isn't even there so I'm thinking that might be why it cracked. I think I can take it off and have it welded up and it should be OK for now. It's kinda hard to see, but on the left side of the big part of the tube it's cracked.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture133.jpg

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
Well lets see the pics of the whole bike...
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture105.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture113.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture110.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture115.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture117.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture118.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture120.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture124.jpg

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Here's the radiator hose I was asking about.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture138.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture139.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture141.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Walsh%20YZ%20hybrid/Picture140.jpg

Anybody know which radiator hose I need?

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM

The aluminum resevoir is not an overflow so to say as it is tied directly into the cooling system. It is used as the fill and is constantly under heat/pressure as the cap is at the top of it.

The small line off the neck of it in the cap tube is the true overflow. By running that into the polaris bottle it serves its purpose as a true overflow. Without it the excess push out will just spray out the tube.

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn
The small line off the neck of it in the cap tube is the true overflow. By running that into the polaris bottle it serves its purpose as a true overflow. Without it the excess push out will just spray out the tube.

Yeah, I just added some coolant and overfilled it a little and the extra ran out the bottom of the tube. I heard it splattering on the garage floor and though "I know I didn't spill that." So when I looked, the vent tube is ran out the bottom of the frame and that's where it ran out when I overfilled the tank. I guess I'll have to get me one of those Polaris bottles. :D

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Also the walsh yz headstay issue seems to be very common. Ive never owned a yz setup that the headstay did not break on. Very common and always breaks in the same spot.

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh so I shouldn't be super concerned or pissed off then? LOL

I got a buddy that can weld like a mo fo, so I guess I'll just run it to him and let him fix it for me. That's way cheaper than buying one. :ermm:

Also, what's the difference in the longbody a arms like I have and the flatties? I can tell the flatties would seem to have more ground clearance and I think they look better. But are there any real differences other than that?

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Ground clearance and looks are the only difference between the arms.

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Are they interchangeable or do they use different shocks? If they use the same shocks, could you just buy the bottom a arm?

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Same shocks will work for both.

josborn
01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Justin - Do you have a pic of how you routed your hose from the overflow bottle to the radiator. I put my bottle on the shroud, and fished the line through the plastic clasps on the bottle, but it links the hose wgen I try to pur it on the hose nipple behind the radiator cap.

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Don think i have any good pics, but the easiest way to route it to keep it from kinking is to loop the hose off the rad to the left on top of the shroud kind of inside the frame rail then loop it back down to the overflow bottle.

This is the easiest best way with softer hose. I have used a thicker walled clear line before though and kind of formed it heat, that worked pretty good also.

Justin

jrspawn
01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
not the best but may help?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/jrspawn/100_4492.jpg

josborn
01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Thats cool...I think my hose is too long, thats what was dickin' me up. Thanks.

CADWELL
01-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey Grant when I worked at Pep Boys, they had a whole bunch of molded heater hoses for different car applications with different bends. I bet if you took that in or to a Parts Plus store, they'd let you around the back to match one up..

Sucks about the head stay, but if it's commen I guess there's nothing you can do. I'd be curious to know if Walsh possibly has on on the shelf and how much they run just to have a spare.

Overall, I love that bike man. Since I've learned from you and all the other owners of hybrids, I came to the conclusion that a Walsh/YZ was the ticket. This thing couldn't have fallen into better hands!!

gtilley45
01-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by CADWELL
Hey Grant when I worked at Pep Boys, they had a whole bunch of molded heater hoses for different car applications with different bends. I bet if you took that in or to a Parts Plus store, they'd let you around the back to match one up..

Sucks about the head stay, but if it's commen I guess there's nothing you can do. I'd be curious to know if Walsh possibly has on on the shelf and how much they run just to have a spare.

Overall, I love that bike man. Since I've learned from you and all the other owners of hybrids, I came to the conclusion that a Walsh/YZ was the ticket. This thing couldn't have fallen into better hands!!

Yeah Chris, I was thinking of trying something like that. I've got a buddy that works at a Napa store here in town so I might see if he can come up with something for me. I just figured somebody might know off the top of their head what kind of hose it was.

I don't know if Walsh has any head stays in stock. I don't know for sure how much hybrid stuff they keep in stock since they aren't quite as popular now days. I looked on their site earlier to see what one would cost, but it looks like they're in the process of changing up the website and I couldn't find anything.

I know a lot of people think the Walsh YZ is the best combination, but pretty much everybody I know picks the Laeger CRF. I can think of 4 guys off the top of my head that have Laeger CRF's and they love them. One guy has a Laeger that was a YZ when he got it, but he had it converted to a CRF. Of course, all of the guys I know are die hard Honda guys and don't like YZ's just because they're Yamahas. Personally, I love Yamahas. Of all the quads I've ever had (other than utilities as a kid) I've had 3 Yamahas (Warrior, Banshee, YFZ) and 2 Hondas (250R and LSR CRF) and all 3 of my Yamahas have been pretty much bullet proof, and my YFZ was the best bike I've ever had. It was the most reliable quad me or any of the guys I ride with have ever seen. As far as this bike falling into good hands......thanks man, I appreciate that. Some friends of mine that don't know anything about quads saw it today and they were like "I can't believe you traded your YFZ for that!" But like I told them, just give me some time and this bike will be just as nice as my YFZ was. You know me, I ain't gonna be riding around on no junk! LOL :D

usp4u
02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm glad someone deserving ended up with it. I can't believe how thrashed it looks now. :ermm:

You got a great bike there...I miss it.

gtilley45
02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by usp4u
I'm glad someone deserving ended up with it. I can't believe how thrashed it looks now. :ermm:

Yeah, this is your old bike right? I was thinking I'd seen an old post about it being yours once before, but I could be wrong. It's a tad rougher than I expected it to be, but I guess that's what I get for having it picked up instead of making a trip myself. It needs a little love cosmetically but I THINK it seems to be in decent shape mechanically. Other than the headstay being broken. I think that could have been caused by missing bolts. The only bolts in it were the 2 on the right hand side. One of the bolts on the left side had been stripped out and instead of fixing it, the head of the bolt had been cut off even with the frame. So I had to drill it out and re-tap it. There was also one of the bolts in the front bumper that was the exact same way.

250x_kyle
02-01-2011, 11:05 AM

i was going to say the same thing it was mint when you had it up for sale. i thought it was your quad and seen it up on ebay and looked used and abused.

looks good Grant little tlc and she will look good as new.

usp4u
02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah, this is your old bike right? I was thinking I'd seen an old post about it being yours once before, but I could be wrong. It's a tad rougher than I expected it to be, but I guess that's what I get for having it picked up instead of making a trip myself. It needs a little love cosmetically but I THINK it seems to be in decent shape mechanically. Other than the headstay being broken. I think that could have been caused by missing bolts. The only bolts in it were the 2 on the right hand side. One of the bolts on the left side had been stripped out and instead of fixing it, the head of the bolt had been cut off even with the frame. So I had to drill it out and re-tap it. There was also one of the bolts in the front bumper that was the exact same way.

Had a different bumper on it when I had it, and all of the headstay bolts. Do a good job freshening her up for me, lol.

I saw the eBay ad and that was a different location than were it went after me, so that would make you like the sixth owner.
Dave Diver
Guy in OH
Me
Kid in NY
Guy on eBay(CT?)
You

gtilley45
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Had a different bumper on it when I had it, and all of the headstay bolts. Do a good job freshening her up for me, lol.

I'm gonna try! But with our season about to start back up, I don't know when I'll get to do it. I'm gonna start accumulating parts as soon as I can so I can just do everything at once.

I saw the eBay ad and that was a different location than were it went after me, so that would make you like the sixth owner.
Dave Diver
Guy in OH
Me
Kid in NY
Guy on eBay(CT?)
You
I didn't know that. I thought I was the 4th owner. I didn't know about the guy from Ohio or the guy from New York. I found out that the guy has my YFZ on ebay now. It's listed as a "show quad" so I'm assuming that means he's happy with the condition of the YFZ. LOL :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YFZ450-Show-quad-Walsh-YFZ-450-04-Race-Ready-MINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f06ffb05dQQitemZ27070 0359773QQptZATVs#v4-35

patterson450
02-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Hey, what's up bud, it Ryan from over at central, how ya been?Bike look's great Grant! I'm sure when your done it will look even better. I still have my yfz but these hybrid's look like they are alot of fun!!!

gtilley45
02-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey man, I've been good. Thanks for asking.

gtilley45
02-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I noticed the bike didn't want to idle without the choke, and popped a lot on deceleration so I figured it was too lean. So I checked and it had a 175 main jet in it, does that sound way too lean to anybody else? I was gonna put a 180 in it, but the biggest I had in my toolbox was a 178. I put it in there and it's better than it was, but I think it still needs something bigger.

Sandsjbyz22
02-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Has it done this since you got it? Or did you have the carb apart recently?

If so check to make sure the plate on the front of the slide is not upside down. Made that mistake before and it will make the same symptoms you're mentioning.

I found that on my 03 motor a 180 main was pretty much the sweet spot on jetting.

jrspawn
02-06-2011, 06:20 PM
What does it have for pilot jet?

gtilley45
02-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Nah, I haven't had the carb apart since I got it. The way it was acting, I just figured it was too lean so I pulled the main jet to see what it was. I thought it'd have way bigger than a 175. I'm gonna get some bigger jets then start off at a 180 and see what that does.

Justin- Now that you mention it, I didn't even check the pilot jet. I don't know why....I just didn't even think about it. LOL

jrspawn
02-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a lean pilot circuit honestly.

gtilley45
02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I'll check on the pilot tomorrow. I am terrible at jetting, what kind of ball park should the pilot be?

jrspawn
02-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I'll check on the pilot tomorrow. I am terrible at jetting, what kind of ball park should the pilot be?

Really depends on alot of things, but id say start around 45ish and work either way to fine tune it. Use the air screw adjusments to tell you where you may need to go with jet size.

gtilley45
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok cool. I was thinking a 45 would be a good starting point.

quadcrazy02
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Sweet quad Grant, looks like your getting the bugs worked out, man i missed your text today, but ill get back wit ya on that one lol:D Been along weekend, didnt get much sleep, cuz of the Quadwars, layed done at 3 today for a nap mand sleep til....well just a min ago. lol

josborn
02-07-2011, 05:35 AM
I always had a 45 pj in mine, and a 175 mj (summer), 178 mj in the fall. I'm at 840 ft with Ohio weather.

gtilley45
02-07-2011, 05:41 AM
I always had a 45 pj in mine, and a 175 mj (summer), 178 mj in the fall. I'm at 840 ft with Ohio weather.
Sounds like me and you will be pretty close. I'm about 100 feet or so higher than that.

Jay- that sounds like a hell of a nap!! I figured you were still at that quad wars is why you didn't answer. It's no big deal.

gtilley45
02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I just went and pulled the pilot jet and was kinda surprised. It had a 48 pilot in it. :eek2:

josborn
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Carb might have something in a passage . I would clean the carb thoroughly and blow it all out with air. Its possible to run a 48 pilot, but not with the choke on, lol. At least i never could.

gtilley45
02-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Just an update on this.....

I had a couple people tell me to check the air screw. I was gonna just run it all the way in and start from there. So I stuck a screwdriver up in the hole and couldn't seem to find the slot in the screw. So I got the carb turned enough that I could see up in there........and there's not even a screw in there! :rolleyes: No screw, o-ring, spring or anything. That could be a good explanation as to why it seemed lean even with bigger jets than I thought it should need. :D

josborn
02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I had one fall out in practice once, she ran like cow poo. Thats cool that its an easy fix though.

gtilley45
02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I think that's pretty much got to be the problem. Now if I can get one, I hope I can get it dialed in and running right.

jmt450
02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
i live in s. middle tn and always ran 48 pilot, 168-172 main.

gtilley45
02-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind when I get an air screw and start trying to get it dialed in. :cool:

gtilley45
02-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Well........this thing just keeps reminding me how bad of a mechanic I am. :ermm:

I ordered one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Mixture-Screw-Keihin-FCR-Carbs-CRF-YFZ-450R-450_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3 dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d7276 647237860908575QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ4397 9QQitemZ120673915864) and it came today.

So I put it in, put in a 45 pilot jet and a 178 main jet. Put the gas tank back on and turn on the gas and it just pours out of the bottom of the carb. I checked to make sure the drain screw was tight and it is, so now what? Could it be as easy as the float sticking?

josborn
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Define out the bottom. Through the overflow hoses would be a stuck float=smack the float bowl with the handle of a screwdriver. If its coming from the front of the bowl area, then you are either missing the o-ring that goes on the fuel screw or you have it on the wrong side of the spring. It should be the spring-washer-oring as the order you put them on the screw.

gtilley45
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Gas was coming out of the bottom where it has the small allen head screw so you can drain the gas out of the carb. I checked that allen head screw and it was tight. I thought it could be the float so I tapped on the bowl with a screw driver handle like you said, and the leak stopped. So I went ahead and adjusted the screw out about a turn and a half and it starts and runs a LOT better now. It's too dark to try to ride it, but just starting it in the garage it seems to be running like it should. It idles better, revs better, and isn't popping like it was before. I'm gonna hurry home from work tomorrow and try to ride it a little before it gets too dark outside.

As for the order of the spring, washer and o ring......I'm glad you posted that. Since there was no screw or anything in there, I made sure I ordered a screw that came with the washer and o ring. I didn't know for sure which order they were supposed to be in, but just thinking about how it worked common sense told me to put spring-washer-o ring like you said. So I was glad to see you confirmed that for me. Thanks!

josborn
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Now this is just me, but when i set my fuel screw, I let the bike completely warm up. Then, I set the idle to where it is just a hair faster than where i like to hear it idling normally. Almost like the choke is on when its warming up. Then I turn it all the way in (closed), it should die or be close. I then turn it out in 1/4 turn increments, giving it 10-15 seconds between each turn for it to respond. Once I find where it idles the highest (you have to go past that to know), thats where it belongs for that particular pilot jet. If its less than 1 turn out from closed, your pilot is fat. If its more than 2.5 turns out, your pilot is lean. Adjust your pilot jet and reset your fuel screw again. It should be between 1 and 2.5 turns out roughly.

If you already knew that just ignore me.

gtilley45
02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Heck no man, all advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Now that you mention it, I had heard that before but had completely forgotten about it.