PDA

View Full Version : 13:5:1 or 12:5:1 stock bore?

ill_lil_romey
02-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Is anyone running this setup? What kind of power gains are there?

shamisc
02-14-2003, 01:35 AM
I think you can only go up to 11:1 with the stock bore, I think!

02-14-2003, 06:18 AM
Better look into a new rod too with that much compression or your gonna blow out the bottom of your motor...:eek:

ill_lil_romey
02-14-2003, 07:57 AM
Um pretty sure you can go over 11:1 with the stock bore. I am aware of all that other stuff with rods and head studs and whatnot> This isnt for me, its for a friend of mine. I think it would be sweet

oynot400
02-14-2003, 08:22 AM
I don't know why you could not get a 12 or 13:1 compression piston with the stock bore. Like Rico said, you better look at getting a stronger rod when you do it. Even compaired the IMS Hot Rod, like I got. The stock one does not look that beefy.
As far as the head bolt studs, I asked Mike at FDO. If you are not taking the studs out of the cylinder it should not be a problem. When you take them out and put them back in that is where a problem occurs. The studs are a fine thread that goes into the jug. Fine threads and alumunium don't go well together. That and the book calls for a certain torque on the studs, Mike says that is a missprint. Because when you torque the studs down and then torque the cap nuts to the head, it over torques the studs and starts to strip out the treads in the jug. That is where the pulled head bolts come from.
It sounded like it made sense to me. :)

phatswinn
02-14-2003, 03:16 PM
it does, i know from experiance the head bolts suck to put back in, get something beefier for that

ECAthumperEX33
02-16-2003, 07:38 AM
you'd defnintely want to go with aftermarket head studs as well as a rod with anything over 11:1. Carillo (sp?) is the way to go for rod. It may be expensive but is probably the best out there.