PDA

View Full Version : droped bolt down cam tensioner hole

07blk400
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
just like the tittle says . was just curious to what would be the fastest and easiest way to get it out i do have the valve cover off . and have tried useing magnets with no luck. i was thinking the clutch cover might be the next best way. what do you guys think?

NacsMXer
01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 07blk400
just like the tittle says . was just curious to what would be the fastest and easiest way to get it out i do have the valve cover off . and have tried useing magnets with no luck. i was thinking the clutch cover might be the next best way. what do you guys think?

Definitely pop the clutch cover off if you can't fish it out with the magnet. The timing chain runs down there, so the bolt should just be laying at the bottom when you get the cover off.

07blk400
01-29-2011, 02:12 PM
i took the cover off it was in there caught behind tee clutch. new gasket wont be in till wensday so in on hold till atleast then before i can finish my 426 rebuild.

AtvKid4Eva
01-29-2011, 06:43 PM
ha i thought i was the only one that things like that happened too...guess not. Its the worst feeling ever lol:p

honda400ex2003
01-30-2011, 01:31 PM
i even had to go buy a new magnet stick last week since i am at school. lol didnt have the usual one i use at home. I dropped a spring down in my belly pan of my sled... got that out, then dropped the socket i was using down there right after getting the spring where i needed it. was worth the trip to the store and the 8 bucks for a new magnet though cause i wasnt going to get it without it.

it happens to the best of us. at least you got it out of there and figured out it was missing before you started it up for the first time. that could be bad if it goes in the oil inlet or something. steve

CJM
01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Had the valve cover off my engine on my toyota truck, dropped 8 different bolts and prayed they didnt go down into the head.. flipped out at my friend who caused it, but we found them all.

honda400ex2003
01-30-2011, 02:39 PM
my tip of the day: theres a reason i work alone 99% of the time.

lol

steve

CJM
01-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I learned a long time ago to get a small container, box or whatever and put every single part you take off that could fall into somewhere or get lost in that container!

honda400ex2003
01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
we just had the same sort of thing over on Dootalk. lol some guys buddy melted down an RX-1. I told him that exact thing marc. lol get a couple of tackle boxes, label them and take lots of pictures or have a manual. the manus are nice for the torque specs when reinstalling everything.

steve

CJM
01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Since Im always ordering stupid little parts they send me small 6x6x6" type boxes and I just use them. But tupperware, an old toolbox-anything is better than laying the stuff around. SPECIALLY if your working outside or in the grass or something.

check your pm steve, got a funny story to share

marc