PDA

View Full Version : Raptor125 or Drr90?

ljf137
01-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Looking to buy a new quad for my son to race XC with. We haven't seen the Raptor's in action much so I'm having a tough time making a decision. Any info or opinions would be much appreciated.

quadnana7
01-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Luke!
Have to put a write in vote for the Pitster Pro.
Chromolly frame, Many suspension and engine mods available
We've had no DNF's racing MX. Have been winning GNCC Championships since they came out. Many more reasons!!!
Sent you a pm.

mmsoup
01-30-2011, 01:40 PM

The Pitsters have had a lot of issues over the past two years and aren't considered as durable mechanically as the Honda 4 strokes and Yamaha 4 strokes

The Yamaha's have the vote as the XC machine to buy based on most new riders getting on board, and all frame upgrades for the 250 will fit. Motor can make almost as much power when built if not more in the end as a Pitster. Quadnana is right though the frame is better on the Pitster and that's a consideration if you are racing MX

I would go Apex instead of DRR for the extra size and we like the frame and engine access better.

We have too much invested in 2 smokes and will run Apex/DRR this season. Most of the time our fancy 2 smokes will outrun the thumpers unless they break. So we have a slight edge on power especially in the fields and they have a big edge on reliability (Yamahas and Hondas)

How much do you like turning wrenches?

lem dad
01-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Yamaha hands down

ljf137
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
We are going to go 4-stroke so I guess now its between the Yamaha and the Pitster. Don't really want to build a honda.

xcracer01
02-03-2011, 08:23 AM
We are running a Raptor this year and love it so far for the XC stuff. It is crazy all the free time I have since we moved up to the 4 stroke. I loved our drr. The pilster is another option. I have no opinion on what is the best.

T@AFP
02-03-2011, 02:17 PM
http://atvondemand.com/news/?p=625

Found this

redonkulousruntsracing
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I back up quadnana, yea the Pitser had problems, but that was their first couple years with a new machine. I think that the bugs are getting worked out. As far as an Apex, don't forget about their new 85 shifter, all I have heard is good things about them.

ljf137
02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
The the new Apex will not be allowed in our regular series. Cobras aren't allowed either.

xcracer01
02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
The electric start was my other turning point for the raptor. My daughter could not start the Pilster and the first year going to a clutch she needed the puch button.

T@AFP
02-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by xcracer01
The electric start was my other turning point for the raptor. My daughter could not start the Pilster and the first year going to a clutch she needed the puch button.

I hear ya on this one.

838xcracer
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I believe the yammy will be the better quad for xc, We owened a brand new Apex and it was JUNK. It DNFed every race. I myself don't care for the Pitser either they break all the time also.
The Yammy with some motor work and pipe will be a great quad.

But this is just my .02 cents worth on this subject. But we've been there and broke that. And my buddy had nothing but TROUBLE out of his new Pitser. But these 2 quads were rode by VERY agressive riders. And they were pushed to the limit!

If u do the math. Yes it does cost a little more to build a 4 stroke. But u never have to do much to it all season just change the oil.With a 2 smoke U WILL be working on it after every race and will be putting money into it ALL the time.

Now if u build the right engine for the yammy it WILL compete with the 2 smokes. Now in the muddy races the 4 strokes will rule.

And u can win races with a 4 stroke, he did with a stock engine honda in the Mod class.

levi #3
02-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I personaly for xc would go pitster pro for sure they have a lot more motor wise than a yamaha 125 and i believe there also more comftorable. i got two championships in two years of gncc racing on mine and this year i also got the overall championship in youth and there was about every mini quad they make at every race.

ljf137
02-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for everyone input. We decided to go with the Pitster. Should have it by the end of the week. Plan on upgrading the carb right away.

zach R 7x
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Congrats! I think you will be very happy with your choice.

You will find out that there are many aftermarket parts avaliable for the Pister out right now and more in the r&d right now.

Atv Four play has hit the nail on the head with his suspension and also has some other mods in the works.
Snyder Motorsports is also working on a suspension for Pister and should be in production by this spring along with some other really neat mods that will push the quad ahead of most.
There are also alot of options for the motor upgrades, Snyder is working on the 125 motor and we will be testing them soon, what we have tested as of late has been impressive.

What I have found out from the 4stroke is the cost to do the work on the motors does not exceed the 2strokes and the maintenace should be alot cheaper.

Good luck!