PDA

View Full Version : Deep Tone Exhaust

Michael0641
01-28-2011, 07:52 AM
I just bought a 2006 Outlaw 500 IRS and was wondering what exhaust has the best deep tone to it and can still be rode on park trails.

TheLane
01-28-2011, 11:08 AM
The hmf with quiet core insert sounds great. And not farty, makes everything sound like it kind of blends together....more of a purr. :)

beastlywarrior
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
try a hmf comp.

TheLane
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
The comp is good and has multiple inserts for sound levels and power, only thing is you have to rejet it every time you change inserts.

EDIT: they also offer different types. The eliptical which is center mount and looks like the LTR450 set up, or the round which moves the exaust to the side.

Michael0641
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
i would definitely prefer one that does not require me to do anything . Just looking for the deep tone. I could care less about the power. i've always had dirt bikes and this is my first ATV. Bought it from my brother-n-law who bought it new in 06 and it still has the tits and red paint on the original tires, it actually has more power than i would like
Would i have to do anything to the motor to add just the slip on

TheLane
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
If you put a slip on, on... (is that how to put that??? lol ) anyways you will most likely have to jet the carb. With the quiet core insert on the hmf pipe you wouldnt have to keep changing it, Only the competition series has that option.

Anything you do to open up the airflow on a bike will require you to rejet the carb, but it is an EASY process, or cheap to have a shop do. But most likely you will get more power, which on dirt can actually save your butt on a quad when drifting is the only way to not flip over.

Michael0641
01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
what all does jetting require

TheLane
01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
This is when the search bar would be your best friend :)

beastlywarrior
01-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
The comp is good and has multiple inserts for sound levels and power, only thing is you have to rejet it every time you change inserts.
\

^^ not necessarily, i dont think the inserts change to flow that much to make you change the jetting

TheLane
01-29-2011, 08:32 AM
:) even removing a spark arrestor and taking off the airbox lid can cause you to have to rejet if its never been done before.

And going from the stage one insert which is super restrictive to the wide open insert i would almost guarantee you would benefit from a jetting.

i totally agree though, for the avarage rider is it absolutley necessary.....probably not.

you will DEFINITELY have to rejet going from stock to any of your choices.

Michael0641
01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I will probaly keep it stock then. That is until i go ride and someone has one that sounds better:p

2006 400ex slsd
02-02-2011, 04:29 AM
it takes like 5 mins to rejet a outlaw just loosen the carb turn the carb side ways thers a bolt on the bottom of the carb like a 17mm take that off and thers the jet then u need like a 4.5 mm take it out put your new one in and go ride

Michael0641
02-02-2011, 07:57 AM
It definitely sounds easy. I might wait until next winter to mess with all that. All i bought it for was to trail ride with my wife and buddies. It is fine for now. I might trade it for a 4x4.

TheLane
02-03-2011, 06:44 PM
if your more into rock climbing go for the 4x4, for anything else, stick with your outlaw. Your might wann look into a crossbreed like the 525irs or a TRX700 those are great independent rear suspension/sport crossovers.

Michael0641
02-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't really care for rock climbing or sinking in the mud. i just like hitting the trails and riding all day. I got it for 2k even and it didn't have enough hours to even change the break in oil. I'm going to change it this weekend though. I'm sure once i get in the trails and get used to it i'll love it. I just have to find somewhere to ride and some people to ride with. Most of the guys i know like going in mud holes.